MOSWIN MSHP Troop C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustybill69

I have read some people talking about hearing Troop C on the new P25 MOSWIN system, and I myself have not heard anything yet. Anyone know what site/frequencies they are using?

Toad_77

What tower(s) are you listening to? They are very active on Imperial and Welden Spring. I'm not sure if the St. Louis towers are carrying MOSWIN traffic yet or not.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
As Toad said, program in the Weldon Spring and Imperial sites. Those are both VHF sites.
Most of the Troop C activity is on those sites if you are located in the St. Louis area. Very active now.
If you are further south, then maybe try and see if you can get the Lawrenceton site.
They are all listed here: Missouri Statewide Wireless Interoperable Network (MOSWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Missouri - Scanner Frequencies

I myself have only seen some testing occurring with the STL City North site 201 but nothing really troop C related. The Weldon Spring and Imperial sites both show the 201 800 MHz site in the city as a neighbor site but I'm not sure if Lawrenceton does.

billbogey44

On July 19th I put MOSWIN in my new HP1 as a favorite. I live about 20 miles from Troop C at hwy 40/64 and 94. I have not heard one transmission on MOSWIN yet. will try with my outdoor scantenna connected to the HP1 on Sun. I will let you know if I hear anything. My HP1 fav shows scan sequence of Mo DPS, MO STATEWIDE INTEROPERABLE, ST Louis P25, St Charles, St Louis county. Am getting St Charles and St Louis county traffic., a few frequencies. I have not found the HP1 and computer very easy to use. Bill

billbogey44

Do you need a digital scanner for MOSWIN or can I program the Imperial and Weldon Spring frequencies in my analog scanners? Thanks, Bill

billbogey44

Using the HomePatrol 1 I have MOSWIN as a favorites list and do not hear any Troop C radio traffic. I live about 22 miles from the Weldon Spring tower and have my range set to 30 miles. I have a scantenna , from Radio Shack, mounted about 15 feet high on my roof with 20 feet of RG59 cable going to my garage, I sit out front and listen. Anyway I got an adaptor to connect the scantenna to my HP 1. Using the scantenna I can hear the Troop C MOSWIN traffic. It seems the stock HP 1 antenna is not strong enough for that distance. Has anyone here bought the antenna Scannerworld suggests for the HP 1 to get MOSWIN in troop C. If it works for my distance I may buy it.
Would appreciate any feedback on this. Bill PS, The MOSWIN voice quality is very good.

Dustybill69

What tower(s) are you listening to? They are very active on Imperial and Welden Spring. I'm not sure if the St. Louis towers are carrying MOSWIN traffic yet or not.

I have Imperial in for some time now, but I just put Welden spring freqs in today. Do you know what sites/towers they are running on?

Dustybill69

As Toad said, program in the Weldon Spring and Imperial sites. Those are both VHF sites.
Most of the Troop C activity is on those sites if you are located in the St. Louis area. Very active now.
If you are further south, then maybe try and see if you can get the Lawrenceton site.
They are all listed here: Missouri Statewide Wireless Interoperable Network (MOSWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Missouri - Scanner Frequencies

I myself have only seen some testing occurring with the STL City North site 201 but nothing really troop C related. The Weldon Spring and Imperial sites both show the 201 800 MHz site in the city as a neighbor site but I'm not sure if Lawrenceton does.

I just put weldon springs freqs in today and I have every troop c talk group programmed. I have yet to hear anything, but i have always had Imperial programmed. It shows zero hits on all talk groups. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what the deal is. I know alot of troop c talk groups have a group DEC number listed as 1 or 5 unlike the others 10205. Am I supposed to program these differently as the talk groups or add zeros or something? For instance MHP TroopC Dispatch 1 is listed as DEC 5 and that's what I programmed for the talkgroup. Is that right or wrong?

AC0RV

Feed Provider
The DEC numbers like 5 are the talk group numbers and the numbers like 10205 may the unique numbers(not the badge #) assigned to the radio transmitting. That is correct on the dec number like 5 being Dispatch one and such. You will want to put those numbers and alpha tag with it in the scanner. Also you can id the Radio Id with the badge(Unit #) in the scanner with an I before the number ie i10205.

I am hearing traffic from the Lawrenceton, Imperial and Shirley towers from where I live in Park Hills.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dustybill69

Ok cool. I do have it correct. I mean thats how I always done it. It just seemed wierd to have a DEC/talkgroup as just the number 5. But I still have zero hits.
Thanks for your help

talkpair

dustybill69 said:
Ok cool. I do have it correct. I mean thats how I always done it. It just seemed wierd to have a DEC/talkgroup as just the number 5. But I still have zero hits.

It may be helpful to know what radio/model you are using and the system settings you are using.

One mistake I made early on with my PSR600 was not having the system type set to P25 Auto.

Dustybill69

On July 19th I put MOSWIN in my new HP1 as a favorite. I live about 20 miles from Troop C at hwy 40/64 and 94. I have not heard one transmission on MOSWIN yet. will try with my outdoor scantenna connected to the HP1 on Sun. I will let you know if I hear anything. My HP1 fav shows scan sequence of Mo DPS, MO STATEWIDE INTEROPERABLE, ST Louis P25, St Charles, St Louis county. Am getting St Charles and St Louis county traffic., a few frequencies. I have not found the HP1 and computer very easy to use. Bill

Yeah that be cool. I keep my HP and St.Louis P25 system separate but I have also tried north and south tower frequencies on the moswin and have no heard any MOSWIN. Not even a single WC hit. St.louis county dont have any Digital radio's up yet do they?

Dustybill69

Yes you do need a digital scanner. MOSWIN is a P25 system. Or atlest thats what I have it in as. I have MOSWIN programmed as P25 Auto. If this is wrong someone please let me know. But no matter if its a MOT VHF/UHF its still a digital signal and needs a digital scanner to hear them.

Dustybill69

I have the pro 197. Same radio as the GRE PSR-600 I can email you my P500 file from Win500 if that could help you any. I have been hoping someone would go over my P500 and check things out and see if I have any wrong settings. If you don't use Win500 then never mind the P500 file, LOL.

Dustybill69

It may be helpful to know what radio/model you are using and the system settings you are using.

One mistake I made early on with my PSR600 was not having the system type set to P25 Auto.

I have the pro 197. Same radio as the GRE PSR-600 I can email you my P500 file from Win500 if that could help you any. I have been hoping someone would go over my P500 and check things out and see if I have any wrong settings. I do have it set to P25 Auto. If you don't use Win500 then never mind the P500 file, LOL. Im 100% self learned digital scanning. I have had it since 2009 and I was blown away by how much different it was from the old analog scanners. It took me some time to learn it, and even now I still have problems.

Last edited:

iamhere300

The DEC numbers like 5 are the talk group numbers and the numbers like 10205 may the unique numbers(not the badge #) assigned to the radio transmitting. That is correct on the dec number like 5 being Dispatch one and such. You will want to put those numbers and alpha tag with it in the scanner. Also you can id the Radio Id with the badge(Unit #) in the scanner with an I before the number ie i10205.

I am hearing traffic from the Lawrenceton, Imperial and Shirley towers from where I live in Park Hills.

Hope this helps.

How is the coverage in downtown Park Hills? No outside antenna etc?

AC0RV

Feed Provider
With the stock antenna on the 396XT you will get spotty reception depending on where you are in the county. With an outside antenna and an amplifier you with get good signal to log your calls (hits).

billbogey44

I live 2 miles directly south of Lambert Field. Using the stock antenna with a HOME PATROL 1 I get no reception of any Troop C MOSWIN traffic. When I connected an external antenna (a Radio Shack scantenna) mounted about 12 feet off ground, I get troop C MOSWIN loud and clear. It seems the antenna is very critical for this radio system. I am probably about 25 miles from the Troop C radio tower at Weldon Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.