MOSWIN SysID 4F2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Does anyone know why the MOSWIN system has SysID 4F2 assigned to it, while none of the sites are assigned to that SysID?

4F2 is the SLATER system's SysID, so it seems unusual that it would be valid for both systems.

:confused:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know why the MOSWIN system has SysID 4F2 assigned to it, while none of the sites are assigned to that SysID?

4F2 is the SLATER system's SysID, so it seems unusual that it would be valid for both systems.

:confused:

I'm not quite certain what they are doing with this yet but I also noticed 4F2 and 1CE SysID's show up when you run DSD+ on either systems control channels.
I can run DSD+ on the St Louis City TRS on 855.6375 CC with a SysID of 1CE and it shows two of the six 4F2 SysID Slater sites as neighbors.

When I tune to a VHF Moswin 1CE site CC, it also shows the St Louis City Moswin 1CE site on 855.6375 and two of the Slater 4F2 sites as neighbors.

Same holds true in reverse when I tune up either of the two Slater sites for St Louis County, DSD+ Event Log shows a bunch of Moswin 1CE VHF sites and the St Louis City 1CE site as neighbors.

It was rumored when Slater was being built that these two systems would be tied or patched together down the road. I guess down the road has arrived. I don't recall if there was a reason given for that statement.

I've not noticed any known TGs showing up from one system to the other nor have I noticed any voice traffic that would not be from the system I'm monitoring at the time.
It may be hard to actually hear voice traffic if Slater users are hopping onto Moswin as much of Slater is encrypted. Best bet to catch new patches or odd traffic is probably going to be from watching Pro96com run on the two systems and maybe log some new and strange activity on either system.

It was probably two to four weeks ago when I first noticed the systems sites showing each other as neighbors. It could have been going on for much longer though as I don't run DSD+ on either system very often. I guess I'll need to fire up several radios along with DSD+ and Pro96com and start watching their logs for users jumping from one system to the other.

I have seen a fair amount of unknown or new TGs on Moswin lately. I see those in ProScan's logs and most will be logged with new or very few hits in ProScan's logs. I put these unknown TGs into a favorite list on all my x36HP radios and let them run. Very few of the unknown TGs I've seen show up again. None of the UIDs logged with the unknown TGs have been in a numbering format used by either system so I have no clue of the user or TG purpose. I'm not sure if these unknown TGs are related to the 1CE and 4F2 systems being neighbors or not. The odd TGs I've noticed on Moswin don't really line up with the TG numbering scheme used by either system so these are anyone's guess.

I also noticed that only the two St Louis County Slater sites are showing up as neighbors with Moswin. I've not seen the two Jefferson County sites nor the single St Charles County Slater site show up as neighbors with Moswin.

Other than observing the same as you, I don't have a clue as to why they are linking the two systems together.
Hopefully Moswin will stay mostly in the clear as it is today and not follow in Slater's footsteps and encrypt most LE traffic.
Slater was a neat system to monitor until they went encrypted. It's still good for fire for those that enjoy that traffic.

Maybe someone with a tad more knowledge about this will chime in here with some factual info.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I did some further testing with Pro96com on the Moswin sites in Weldon Spring and Imperial.
DSD+ shows SysID 4F2 as a neighbor to both Weldon and Imperial but when I run Pro96com, there is no mention of 4F2 in its neighbor list.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Don't have much to add as you guys covered it quite well but I remember when SLATER came on board it was a seperate system from the city's system. Which I thought was odd. And if I remember right when MOSWIN came on board it was seperate from the city system. At least I thought??? Then one day on RR I noticed the city and MOSWIN listed together. They may have always had the same ID but early on listed seperatly. Not sure.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Don't have much to add as you guys covered it quite well but I remember when SLATER came on board it was a seperate system from the city's system. Which I thought was odd. And if I remember right when MOSWIN came on board it was seperate from the city system. At least I thought??? Then one day on RR I noticed the city and MOSWIN listed together. They may have always had the same ID but early on listed seperatly. Not sure.

Your memory is good!
Before Moswin was officially announced, the St Louis City TRS and I think Independence were linked together. I could be wrong on this part but I think there was also a site in Jefferson City that was linked with the east and west systems and sites. That site in Jeff City is likely the master control point for Moswin today. The Jeff City site may not be the same today but I have read and been told that the main Moswin control point is located in Jeff City.
I remember reading an article or thread here about the redundant links Jeff City would have with backup sites around the state. I think it was a mix of microwave links above ground and buried fiber links between the control points. I can't recall reading more on that subject so who knows what they all installed as the statewide system was actually built out.

I remember something about underground copper pairs that were protected that would serve as another backup link. Who knows, a copper pair link could be the primary link being used right this moment.
I do wonder what they ended up using for the everyday link between the master controller and the backup sites. The control point would probably be a neat building to tour if they allow it. Something tells me it's probably a highly secure facility though. That would probably knock out any chance of a tour of the system.

I do hope someone with better knowledge of the systems chimes in here and tells us what the reason is behind Slater and Moswin sites showing some type of link between the systems in the control channel datastream.

This could be interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.