• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CP185 channel name problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Re-Programming a 185. All of the channels are named and shown on the cps.
After writing the radio, the names won't show up on the radio screen. All the radio will display is CH 001, CH 002 ext.....
I went through and renamed them all again and wrote it, still the same problem.
Any ideas ?

Sent from my XT1097

OhSixTJ

I think you have to enable the channel name with a button programmed on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. I'll see if I can find that option. Odd that the names were on the radio screen before I read it. I made a couple of frequency and tone changes and renamed one channel and now they are not there.

Sent from my XT1097

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Re-Programming a 185. All of the channels are named and shown on the cps.
After writing the radio, the names won't show up on the radio screen. All the radio will display is CH 001, CH 002 ext.....
I went through and renamed them all again and wrote it, still the same problem.
Any ideas ?

Sent from my XT1097
There are times where channel tags are not a good idea. If someone else takes your radio because you are no longer able to use it..... 73, n9zas

OhSixTJ

There are times where channel tags are not a good idea. If someone else takes your radio because you are no longer able to use it..... 73, n9zas

But a channel tag is probably more helpful than CH 001.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
But a channel tag is probably more helpful than CH 001.

True, But IF it fell into Unauthorized hands then it would be helpful to the Wrong person. I've seen this happen. :wink: 73, n9zas

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I remeber it being one of the buttons on the side... like holding down the side nipple button and then turning the radio on......that kind of thing.... TT

N1GTL

Database Admin
With older firmware CP185's, when you programmed the radio, it displayed CH###. You had to assign a channel alias button to the radio. When you hit that button, it would switch over to displaying the alias.

With newer firmware, when you program the radio, it will default to the alias without the need to hit a button. I can't recall the firmware version, it changed several years ago.... 3.2 maybe.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
I got it guys thanks. I had to program Chanel Alias to a button to display it. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my XT1097

radioguy99

With older firmware CP185's, when you programmed the radio, it displayed CH###. You had to assign a channel alias button to the radio. When you hit that button, it would switch over to displaying the alias.

With newer firmware, when you program the radio, it will default to the alias without the need to hit a button. I can't recall the firmware version, it changed several years ago.... 3.2 maybe.

Firmware version 3.03 will do it and that is the one you need if you want to avoid doing the button feature. There is also a specific software solely for the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.