• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CPS Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmaibauer82

Premium Subscriber
For those who are Official Motorola CPS software owners/subscribers and stay up to date on your software, the latest releases of Professional Series (R06.12.08), Commercial Series (R05.17), CP110 (R03.01), CP185 (R02.03), and PR860 (R01.04) will NOT allow you to program ANY frequencies in wideband mode. Not even HAM, Marine, Weather Alerting, etc. Someone also advised that there was a recent release of MotoTRBO CPS that was also victim of this issue, but I haven't seen it for myself.

Not sure if this was intentional from Motorola... but as we all know, the narrowbanding mandate only applies to Type 90 with exceptions. HAM, Marine & Weather are not Type 90 and are therefor not included in the narrowbanding mandate.

If you are HAM, or have Weather/Marine in your radios, I suggest keeping your older versions of software until this issue is addressed. Again, this information is for Official Motorola Software owners and subscribers. I will NOT send you old versions of any CPS for any reason, period, so don't ask!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yes - MotoTRBO Version 8.0 Build 410 LAST version allows wideband. Version 8.5 will only allow narrowband

tmaibauer82

Premium Subscriber
If you look add the post times, I had posted mine earlier the same day.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
If you are an MOL subscriber, there is an online webinar in the Training section for narrowbanding. Once you take this class, you have access to 25 KHz CPS Tools in the Software section.

Larry

pickles37

I have a VHF XPR6550 that I'm programming with CPS 7.6 (yes it's legit). Right now I seem to be able to program wideband into it (weather, etc) no problem, although with UHF XPR's that were recently firmware updated, wideband is not supported.

I'm assuming that this means that as long as I don't upgrade the firmware, I'll still be able to update the CPS to the next version and program it to wideband, but I'm nervous to try. Can anyone confirm if avoiding updating the firmware is sufficient to avoid this problem?

Thanks!

tmaibauer82

Premium Subscriber
I have a VHF XPR6550 that I'm programming with CPS 7.6 (yes it's legit). Right now I seem to be able to program wideband into it (weather, etc) no problem, although with UHF XPR's that were recently firmware updated, wideband is not supported.

I'm assuming that this means that as long as I don't upgrade the firmware, I'll still be able to update the CPS to the next version and program it to wideband, but I'm nervous to try. Can anyone confirm if avoiding updating the firmware is sufficient to avoid this problem?

Thanks!

The latest MotoTRBO CPS will not allow you to do wideband either, without an entitlement ID of course. Upgrading to EITHER or BOTH the latest CPS and/or latest firmware will require the entitlement ID to do anything wideband.

pickles37

Thank you tmaibauer82 - I think you saved me from a huge headache... still, going to have to resolve this sooner or later. I suppose I'l go through the entitlement ID class marlarkey.

Every Public Safety radio user I know has weather channels in their radio somewhere, so I'm really surprised at this being done by Motorola.

tmaibauer82

Premium Subscriber
Thank you tmaibauer82 - I think you saved me from a huge headache... still, going to have to resolve this sooner or later. I suppose I'l go through the entitlement ID class marlarkey.

Every Public Safety radio user I know has weather channels in their radio somewhere, so I'm really surprised at this being done by Motorola.

In a sense, it was actually a smart decision on Motorola's part that saved them the hassle (and money) of restructuring the CPS completely to ignore any frequencies not included in the Part 90 narrowbanding mandate. Why write out the check when you can make the "end user" pay. By shelling out the money for an entitlement ID (which, btw, you have to take a required 15 minute course on before you can purchase it), Motorola is ensuring that not just anyone is programming wideband frequencies.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
In a sense, it was actually a smart decision on Motorola's part that saved them the hassle (and money) of restructuring the CPS completely to ignore any frequencies not included in the Part 90 narrowbanding mandate. Why write out the check when you can make the "end user" pay. By shelling out the money for an entitlement ID (which, btw, you have to take a required 15 minute course on before you can purchase it), Motorola is ensuring that not just anyone is programming wideband frequencies.

One small problem with your assessment: The entitlement keys are FREE OF CHARGE.

tmaibauer82

Premium Subscriber
Our account is in a business name, not an individual's. It's very unlikely that Motorola would charge a MSS more than an outside customer.

Customer also pays for software on a 3-year rotation, whereas we don't.

tmaibauer82

Premium Subscriber
I know from seeing it first-hand that our company had to pay for an EID for Pro Series.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I know from seeing it first-hand that our company had to pay for an EID for Pro Series.

OK, I accept that it is different for an MSS.

However, your original statement that the Entitlement Keys have a price tag is not true across the board. Folks with 3 year subscriptions should be at least know the facts for their particular situation.

tmaibauer82

Premium Subscriber
OK, I accept that it is different for an MSS.

However, your original statement that the Entitlement Keys have a price tag is not true across the board. Folks with 3 year subscriptions should be at least know the facts for their particular situation.

You were the first to inform me, because I didn't know they were free for individuals and non-MSS. So thank you for correcting that!

Status
Not open for further replies.