• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola DTR700 Portable Digital Radio 900Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

PACNWDude

This could be interesting. Thank you for sharing the link. Have many older DTR-410's in use myself. They are getting worn out and having the display has grown on many of the end users, preventing their replacement with the current compatible version.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Wonder if they'll ever come out with a mobile version aimed at things like fork lifts and warehouse carts.

Project25_MASTR

Running less than 1W, there really isn't a need for a mobile version. That would be the power limit for a mobile as well. Might as well just use a DTR with a speaker mic.

It's not really about the power limit. Realistically, there is a 36 dBm EIRP limit for the radios so that's a potential to run up to 4W EIRP in a "mobile" application. Once upon a time, Motorola used to manufacture what was called LPI radios (Low Power Industrial). They were 1W-10W rated radios which could run 2W's continuously. Primary application was for things like forklifts and electric carts. Of course now there are more stable PA's which can handle 1W to 40W so it's not such a big deal.

The real utility lies in:
  • utilizing the opportunity to have a decent audio amp (8W mobile versus 1W portable)
  • external antenna which may not be impeded by the limitations of a portable
  • unit draws power from the vehicle eliminating the need to recharge the radio
  • and the ability to practically utilize the device as a control station

The last one is really quite notable as this means increased dispatch receive range and the ability to justify selling a console to the customer (whether it be tone, a IP or some other solution) since the greater infrastructure costs generally don't allow that as an option for most customer's budgets (since they are purchasing repeaters).

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I think you're confusing a few things. Yes, there is an EIRP limit as well, but Part 15.247 clearly defines the maximum power output as 1W in the 900MHz ISM band. You can play with the ERP and EIRP till the cows come home, the transmitter output power can still not exceed 1W.

A mobile unit in that band can only have 1W of transmit power, like I said originally.

n1das

Motorola appears to be committed to keeping some 900MHz digital on-site business radios on the market. I was wondering about that a while back when I was looking at the DTRs. The DTRs have been on the market for 10+ years and is still current product...until the DTR700. You can still buy factory new DTR radios and batteries for them. The 410, 550 and 650 models are old enough that it makes me wonder how Motorola is dealing with parts end of life issues from their suppliers. Maybe they finally are running into issues with parts going EOL for the older models and the DTR700 is the answer to that.

The transmitter power output is limited to +30 dBm (1W) by FCC 15.247. The DTRs and the DLRs are type accepted at +29.5 dBm (890 mW). The 0.5dB margin under the FCC legal limit is to account for measurement uncertainty and small variation in power output from unit to unit.

* DROOL * :)

I may have to add a few of these to my fleet of DTRs and DLRs and maybe sell a few DTRs and DLRs. :)

Last edited:

n1das

Nice!!! The 650s are awesome! This should be great too.

Absolutely!! My DTR650s and DLR1060s have completely replaced my use of GMRS/FRS for my local on-site simplex type use with family and friends. I have a fleet of DTRs and DLRs to hand out to friends and family when we use them. I still have GMRS/FRS as a backup and interoperability but it is no longer my go-to mode for local on-site simplex type use.

My wife and I are headed to a ham flea market (NEAR-fest in Deerfield NH) tomorrow (Saturday). We will be using my DTR650 radios. My wife is not a ham but she loves using these radios with me when we are out shopping or doing whatever with family and friends. We used to do this on GMRS/FRS with good Part 90/95 gear (I am GMRS licensed) but now we use only the DTRs and DLRs because they work so well. For this trip, she requested that we use the DTRs instead of the DLRs because we've been using the DLRs regularly. For the hamfest, we want to use only high quality radios.

Last edited:

n1das

While I'm tempted to jump on the opportunity to get some DTR700 radios when they become available, I may wait a while to see what other DTR7xx models might be in the works. I suspect the DTR700 is the start of a new model series to eventually replace the aging 10+ year old DTR 410/550/650 model series.

I need to sell off my fleet of DLRs first. :)

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

n1das

Running less than 1W, there really isn't a need for a mobile version. That would be the power limit for a mobile as well. Might as well just use a DTR with a speaker mic.

This makes me think of a DTR radio in a micro-mobile type package. 12-14V DC input and a large and LOUD speaker audio and a mobile mic. The +29.5dBm (890mW) power level is plenty for forklifts and warehouse cart applications. I agree, a DTR with a speaker mic would work too.

Project25_MASTR

This makes me think of a DTR radio in a micro-mobile type package. 12-14V DC input and a large and LOUD speaker audio and a mobile mic. The +29.5dBm (890mW) power level is plenty for forklifts and warehouse cart applications. I agree, a DTR with a speaker mic would work too.

Most warehouse operations I know of have several forklift dispatchers. While portables could be used, I think a mobile that could be interfaced to a TRA would be greatly expand the capability and practicality of the DTR series.

n1das

Most warehouse operations I know of have several forklift dispatchers. While portables could be used, I think a mobile that could be interfaced to a TRA would be greatly expand the capability and practicality of the DTR series.

I agree. The work environment is likely to be a noisy environment and requires LOUD speaker audio like what you can get from a mobile. A speaker mic on a portable may not cut it and the equipment operator has to struggle to hear the radio.

Hopefully the DTR700 will also have noise canceling capability in the microphone audio like good Part 90 radios have to help when working in loud environments. The current DTRs and DLRs don't have any noise canceling ability in the mic audio, IIRC.

:)

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
While I'm tempted to jump on the opportunity to get some DTR700 radios when they become available, I may wait a while to see what other DTR7xx models might be in the works. I suspect the DTR700 is the start of a new model series to eventually replace the aging 10+ year old DTR 410/550/650 model series.

I need to sell off my fleet of DLRs first. :)

Oh, you know how I love my DTRs. :D :D Definitely looking forward to this one. Will be interested to know the price. Almost looks XPR7550-esque with the screen, so it probably isn't going to be cheap.

Project25_MASTR

I agree. The work environment is likely to be a noisy environment and requires LOUD speaker audio like what you can get from a mobile. A speaker mic on a portable may not cut it and the equipment operator has to struggle to hear the radio.

Hopefully the DTR700 will also have noise canceling capability in the microphone audio like good Part 90 radios have to help when working in loud environments. The current DTRs and DLRs don't have any noise canceling ability in the mic audio, IIRC.

:)

If they are like some of the rest of the product line, they may include bluetooth.

n1das

Oh, you know how I love my DTRs. :D :D Definitely looking forward to this one. Will be interested to know the price. Almost looks XPR7550-esque with the screen, so it probably isn't going to be cheap.
It looks sort of SL300-ish with a full display and buttons added. I haven't taken a close look at the pics yet. Hopefully it will have Bluetooth and other most wanted features. I'm wondering about batteries, chargers, and accessories. The accessories should be the same accessories for the DTR 410/550/650 and other Motorola business radios. Batteries and chargers are still a "?" right now.

In a post in another DTR related thread, I mentioned I was hoping Motorola would someday make an updated model for the DTR series. The DTR 410/550/650 models are 10+ years old. I suspect Motorola is facing issues with parts going EOL and soon to be NLA. They probably won't be able to build the old models much longer. The DTR700 would be the answer to that and is what I was hoping Motorola would do for the DTR series.

I've already sold a couple of my DLRs in preparation for getting some DTR700 radios. :)

n1das

https://www.radiotwoway.com/32688-motorola-dtr700-portable-digital-radio-900mhz

I noticed in the description of some features that it said "(Phase 2 models)". Does that mean not all features will be in the first release?? The DTR700 model makes me think it's a DTR7xy model and this is the start a 700 series of DTR models.

DTR7xy model, where:
DTR = DTR series
7 = 700 model series
x = model number for each unique model
y = country/region code (N.America, Latin America, Europe, etc.).

I'm tempted to jump on a DTR700 but there might be other models in the works like a DTR750 for example. It may be worth waiting a while to see what happens.

Anybody have any information on what models are in the works?

n1das

It's in stock now. Has anybody requested a quote yet? :)
I requested a quote. Curiosity got the better of me late last night. No response received yet, probably won't receive anything before Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.