• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola GP340 General help requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fence_Judge

Hi all

I'm a fence judge at local cross country events. We use two-way radios to comunicate with control, so that we can let everyone know whats happening out on the course. There are times however when fence judges don't get a radio (pricipally due to the cost of hiring), so I bought my own. The most common in use are Motorola GP340's, so that's what I bought. I already have a Yupiteru scanner, but it's not terribly robust or rain resistant. I also have the ribless usb cable and programming software for the GP340.

Now, the general help request. I can scan to find the radio frequency that the event uses, but the scanner dosn't give the Tone frequency (PL in Motorola parlance) How can I find that frequency or is it a case of trial and error using the 41 frequencies provided for in the GP340.

I hope I've made sense of this and that the wizzes out there can help. As you have probably realised I'm a complete novice at this so any info. (in single sylables would probably be best LOL) would be much appreciated.

Fence_Judge

DPapay Good idea 'cus that's what I thought as well. Only one prob., I tried it at the comp. today but my Motorola software wasn't compatible with their radios!!!! It seems my software is a newer version codeplug ?? (What ever that is) I'm a newbie at this so I don't yet understand the terms and functions. When I asked the radiio suppliers what the tone code frequecy they used, they refused to tell me.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
How long have you worked with them? its probably because they dont want you to interfere in communications if they did not intend to give you one but hey thats just them.

Some digital scanners are able to pick up and decode the PL for you

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DPapay Good idea 'cus that's what I thought as well. Only one prob., I tried it at the comp. today but my Motorola software wasn't compatible with their radios!!!! It seems my software is a newer version codeplug ?? (What ever that is) I'm a newbie at this so I don't yet understand the terms and functions. When I asked the radiio suppliers what the tone code frequecy they used, they refused to tell me.
If that is the case, your CPS is too old. CPS isn't forward compatible with radios containing firmware made after the CPS most of the time.

DPapay

Yeah, some radio shops can be protective of the information they give out, regarding "thier" customers. Can you ask the person who controls the radios if they know? Also, if the radios are just being rented, the freq may not always be the same. C138 is correct, some scanners will decode the TPL/DPL.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hi all Now, the general help request. I can scan to find the radio frequency that the event uses, but the scanner dosn't give the Tone frequency (PL in Motorola parlance) How can I find that frequency or is it a case of trial and error using the 41 frequencies provided for in the GP340.

unless you have a scanner that can scan for and display a PL tone that a radio is transmitting you are out of luck and will have to do it by trial and error.

Some digital scanners are able to pick up and decode the PL for you

WOW. you got it right for a change... sorry mods i could not resist.

DPapay

Maybe he is not right, I am not sure. I just realized that when the scanner manufacturer states the scanner will do TPL/DPL decode, that might just mean you have to ENTER the code, then the scanner will decode it. It does not mean the scanner will just display a received code. Anyone else know?

Status
Not open for further replies.