• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Key For Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffmedjoe

The other day I was talking to our local kenwood rep and he told me that all of our existing motorola radios (XTL &XTS) will not work on our current state system in the near future. Currently our radios are programmed with a system key in the form of a fob that is received after filling out a mountain of paperwork from the state. The radios work on the system currently and we do not have a problem with them.
I have spoken to the radio shop and they aren't quite sure what he was talking about.
We are on the WISCOM system if that helps.
I know that they are doing an 800mhz overlay of the system but i doubt that would be the cause.
I'm not sure if this is a ploy to get us to buy new radios or something like that.

Any thoughts?

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Are they doing phase 2?
The only thing that would cause XTS series radios to not work with a system upgrade would be switching to phase 2 P25.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Few things i found out by googling.
1. XTS (And XTL) and APX are on the approved list.
2. If they're going to do a 800mhz addition to a VHF P25 system, then a dual band radio like the APX would be required in certain circumstances.
3. Apparently, some KENWOODS caused issues in the past, and now they have tentative approval with certain firmware and programming modifications.

Im going to say he's full of **** and just want your money.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Here are the guidelines for new radio purchases:
Code:
Guidelines for new radio purchases
New radios purchased with grant funds must meet the following grant standards. Note that some WISCOM eligible models (listed above) do not meet all of the grant standards requirements:

Compliant with current P25 standards Phase 1
Equipment must qualify for WISCOM operation through the Subscriber Certification Program.
Capable of operating on 2 or more digital trunked systems
Capable of passing the adopted and current P25 “Enhanced VOCODER Methods of Measurement of Performance” specified in (Telecommunications Industry Standard) TIA-102.BABG
P25 digital trunking enabled
Provide 512 channel minimum capacity
Minimum capability of 128 control channels
Capable of Alphanumeric Display
VHF Portable Radios have 138-174 MHz band spread
VHF Mobile Radios installed with a Wideband antenna (139-169 MHz or better)
Programmed according to Statewide Mutual Aid Frequency Plan within the Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan (available for download on the Interoperability website at interop.wi.gov) with a minimum of 25 narrow banded statewide mutual aid channels.
Programmed with the appropriate WISCOM talk groups

ffmedjoe

Are they doing phase 2?
The only thing that would cause XTS series radios to not work with a system upgrade would be switching to phase 2 P25.

To the best of my knowledge, no. It's in the 10 year plan but not anytime soon. Apparently what happened was there was a high speed chase going from one county to another. At some point one of the pursuit vehicles was "kicked off" the system and it was blamed on the wrong type of key. My thought is that they didn't have either that talkgroup on that site or they weren't authorized to be on that channel.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Cutting straight to the answer: Your XTS and XTL radios are capable of meeting the published requirement. They may require features to be purchased.

But, unquestionably, yes, XTS and XTL radios are P25 Phase 1 capable.

It takes an APX to do Phase II, though.

sfd119

XTS & XTLs will work on WISCOM and they will not be going away anytime soon. WISCOM is statewide VHF coverage with some 800MHZ fill in sites for metro areas.

You should read the WISCOM thread in the Wisconsin forum for more info.

ffmedjoe

XTS & XTLs will work on WISCOM and they will not be going away anytime soon. WISCOM is statewide VHF coverage with some 800MHZ fill in sites for metro areas.

They are doing an 800 overlay due to all of the areas with 800. Should be up in the next 2-4 years.

sfd119

They are doing an 800 overlay due to all of the areas with 800. Should be up in the next 2-4 years.

It won't be a statewide 800 overlay. I see no mention of it in any of the SSMG minutes.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
To the best of my knowledge, no. It's in the 10 year plan but not anytime soon. Apparently what happened was there was a high speed chase going from one county to another. At some point one of the pursuit vehicles was "kicked off" the system and it was blamed on the wrong type of key. My thought is that they didn't have either that talkgroup on that site or they weren't authorized to be on that channel.

The unit may have been 'kicked off' the system due to a geographical restriction on the talkgroup he was using. It is not uncommon for a talkgroup to be limited to a particular site(s) to prevent sites overloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.