• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Maratrac questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vzfarms

i am looking to buy some vhf mobile radios and I am looking for power and durability. The motorola maratracs seem appealing as I can get them for cheap on ebay and they are powerful. I am aware that they are wideband only, but for the price I could replace them in a few years. I guess I want some advice if they are worth buying and do they really put out 100-110 watts?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I guess I want some advice if they are worth buying and do they really put out 100-110 watts?

It depends on what you want to do with them. Yes, they really put out 100-110 watts. Low band was rated at 110 watts. High band was 100 watts.

CCHLLM

Well, I have several MaraTracs and I know of a fleet of 250+ units that is the largest of the fleets I've serviced, they've been in service more than 15 years, and out of that fleet only 30 of the radios have had any serious repairs. Of those 30, way less than half actually had a major component failure. The rest were operator induced (Pepsi and latte inundations, abuse, or numbnuts fist hammering on the control head trying to make the back lighting come on, etc. Yep, he didn't know he could push that little button in the upper right portion of the control head). That doesn't include numerous things like mic cords, antennas, cables, vehicle water leaks, vehicle accidents. etc. MaraTracs are probably one of MotherMoto's most durable radio designs.

The cons are numeric displays (advanced control head) instead of alphanumeric displays, so you'll need to carry an excel spread sheet (just kidding) if there are more than X number of channels. The number X will vary inversely with your age.

Did I mention the lack of an alphanumeric display?

Last edited:

Mr_Observer

The Maratrac is a rock solid platform. If you don't need anything fancy then they should suit your needs just fine.

DPapay

I cannot resist.... I agree with all, that like the Maratrac. Rock solid like Mr Observer said. Thats probably why it was discontinued, and replaced with the MCS2000. Talk about going from one extreme to the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.