• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

motorola minitor 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just became a volunteer Fire Fighter for my town and I was given a motorola minitor 4 to use. It works fine and receives pages inside the house but not in the basement where I live. since I cant keep it anywhere else this is a big problem. I was wondering if anyone knew anyway to somehow get it to work or if its possible to hook up another antenna and have it outside through the window.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thank you.

DJ11DLN

Premium Subscriber
Moto made a charging cradle with an amplified speaker and an external antenna for these pagers. I can't recall the model but a couple of our guys who had fringe reception issues had them. All of our IV's are gone now so I don't have any hardware to look at in re what kind of connector the antenna had...hopefully someone with experience with the cradle will post soon. But I would think that you could put an antenna upstairs somewhere and run coax to the cradle in your basement, to hopefully solve the problem. Non-reception below grade isn't very surprising unless you live very close to the tower.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
The charger amplifier in question works with both the III and IV Minitors. There's a listing on Ebay right now for them for $34.95 (free shipping). He's got 3 of them available. (I looked on my phone so I can't post the link from my laptop at the moment.) There's another listing for the same item for $39.95. That guy has 7 of them. Free shipping, too. There's almost always at least one listing for this item.

Yes, you will want to place a small scanner style base antenna upstairs or even on the roof of the house. Run coax from there to the charger amp. It will only give you better reception when the pager is in the cradle.

Minitor4 charger

The minitor's and Minitor2's had a RCA connector for RF, I believe that the 3's also used RCA. Usually just a heavy wire whip soldered to the center pin and bent 90 degrees.

$.02

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
3&4 amplified charger uses a BNC ant. connector. Depending on the freq of our pager just a 1/4 wave ant on the back of the charger should work for you

joetnymedic

Premium Subscriber
correct min 3 and 4 have BNC connectors on the amplified units. I actually threw away the wire whip and hooked up a regular telescopic antenna on it. Worked awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.