• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

motorola minitor 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgivory

I just became a volunteer Fire Fighter for my town and I was given a motorola minitor 4 to use. It works fine and receives pages inside the house but not in the basement where I live. since I cant keep it anywhere else this is a big problem. I was wondering if anyone knew anyway to somehow get it to work or if its possible to hook up another antenna and have it outside through the window.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thank you.

DJ11DLN

Moto made a charging cradle with an amplified speaker and an external antenna for these pagers. I can't recall the model but a couple of our guys who had fringe reception issues had them. All of our IV's are gone now so I don't have any hardware to look at in re what kind of connector the antenna had...hopefully someone with experience with the cradle will post soon. But I would think that you could put an antenna upstairs somewhere and run coax to the cradle in your basement, to hopefully solve the problem. Non-reception below grade isn't very surprising unless you live very close to the tower.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The charger amplifier in question works with both the III and IV Minitors. There's a listing on Ebay right now for them for $34.95 (free shipping). He's got 3 of them available. (I looked on my phone so I can't post the link from my laptop at the moment.) There's another listing for the same item for $39.95. That guy has 7 of them. Free shipping, too. There's almost always at least one listing for this item.

Yes, you will want to place a small scanner style base antenna upstairs or even on the roof of the house. Run coax from there to the charger amp. It will only give you better reception when the pager is in the cradle.

byndhlptom

Minitor4 charger

The minitor's and Minitor2's had a RCA connector for RF, I believe that the 3's also used RCA. Usually just a heavy wire whip soldered to the center pin and bent 90 degrees.

$.02

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
3&4 amplified charger uses a BNC ant. connector. Depending on the freq of our pager just a 1/4 wave ant on the back of the charger should work for you

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
correct min 3 and 4 have BNC connectors on the amplified units. I actually threw away the wire whip and hooked up a regular telescopic antenna on it. Worked awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.