• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Quik Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trux911

Feed Provider
Hello, I am turning to this forum for help. I am looking for the printed Motorola tone sequence chart for Quik call 1 (2+2) paging. I have seen it before and know it exists. I already know all the tone frequencies in Hz that are used. They are either Tone plans A, B, or Z. I can remember some of the tone pairs. There was the CG group, the MN group, I believe the PK group and I think the LE group. There might be more but I can't remember. All letters represent a single tone off the A,B,Z tone group mentioned above. For example: Under the CG group, Station 1 would be CE-DG, Station 2 would be CE-GJ, Station 3 would be CE-GK, and so on. If anyone has this information or knows where to acquire it, I would appreciate it. If you have further questions, please ask. Thank you.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am turning to this forum for help. I am looking for the printed Motorola tone sequence chart for Quik call 1 (2+2) paging. I have seen it before and know it exists. I already know all the tone frequencies in Hz that are used. They are either Tone plans A, B, or Z. I can remember some of the tone pairs. There was the CG group, the MN group, I believe the PK group and I think the LE group. There might be more but I can't remember. All letters represent a single tone off the A,B,Z tone group mentioned above. For example: Under the CG group, Station 1 would be CE-DG, Station 2 would be CE-GJ, Station 3 would be CE-GK, and so on. If anyone has this information or knows where to acquire it, I would appreciate it. If you have further questions, please ask. Thank you.
When I got into the radio business and public safety around 1969, the Motorola Quick Call I (2+2) was still in daily use in much of the country. I have the planning manual for Motorola tone plans from that era, and there is no mention of any plan like this for QC-I implementation.

If there was a plan that assigned specific QC-I tone groups or sub-sets to specific stations, etc., it would almost certainly have to be local in nature. One plan that might fit a large urban/suburban area would likely be usless in smaller suburban/rural communities. I am wondering if it was specific to the geographic area where you were back then.

Trux911

Feed Provider
Talkpair, thank you for the link. Great information but unfortunately not the code plan I was looking for.

SteveC0625, I had a copy of a codeplan printed by Motorola and out of an old manual many years ago. This codeplan had specific recommended tone pairs that prevented cross modulation and lowered falsing when using the quik call encoder. Each tone plan (such as the CG group mentioned in my original post) had approx 90 tone pairs listed that were tested by Motorola that would not set off and adjacent tone pair. So if you paged out station 3, station 62 would not also go off for example. These 90 pairs of tones would cover 90 fire departments. And if you toned out the CG all call (8 second single 2 tone) that ended up setting off all departments in the tone group. An adjacent county had more than 90 departments in it and used the MN, and LE tone groups and that gave them 180 + individual 2+2 tones for all their departments.

CommJunkie

If you find it, I'd be interested to see it. My county seems to have followed some kind of coding plan but nothing that makes sense on any tone list I can find.

In my county, all of the stations are two digits. The single-digit stations have a leading zero. So 1 becomes 01, 2 becomes 02, etc.

All of the stations beginning with 0 have the same A tone. All of the stations beginning with 1 have the same A tone, all the way up to stations with 8. (There are no stations in the 90's)

All of the stations ending with 1 have the same B tone, so 01, 11, 21, 31, 41 etc all have the same B tone. All of the stations ending with 2 have the same B tone (02, 12, 22, 32, etc).

When a station closes, or merges, and the station number is left open, if a new station opens they are reassigned a tone set that was already used but had been OOS. For example, stations 69 and 54 merged in my county forming a new station 46. The number 46 had been dormant for quite some time. But they kept the 69 tone, and abandoned the 54 tone. So now the coding plan is a mess.

Problem is, A tones are from the QC-I chart Z series, while the B tones are from the QC-II chart. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.