• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Signal Indicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

So I must ask, is there any legitimate reason as to why the signal strength indicator only works in trunked mode? Why is it so difficult to ask to use it in conventional?

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
I guess Motorola didn't see a need for it since most of these radios are used on trunked radio systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaker7

I guess Motorola didn't see a need for it since most of these radios are used on trunked radio systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still can't imagine it'd be that hard to make work on conventional.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
Well good luck trying to make that happen. It would take a firmware update that I don't see Motorola pushing out for those radios since there support window is running out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beaker7

Well good luck trying to make that happen. It would take a firmware update that I don't see Motorola pushing out for those radios since there support window is running out.

Running out for the new APX8000 to?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
No the APX8000 is a current production model. But the XTS5000 is EOL and support stops in either 17 or 18. If you want RSSI on conventional channels on the 8000 you need to start talking to a Motorola sales rep.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
On my 7000 I have rssi on conventional analog channels. I use it on the NOAA WX channels as a signal test tool (comparison). I think they had it available starting with firmware 14.51 (or something like that, my radio isn't here at the moment). It was a recent addition, as it did not work in the older firmwares even though it was shown in CPS.

Delta33

So I must ask, is there any legitimate reason as to why the signal strength indicator only works in trunked mode? Why is it so difficult to ask to use it in conventional?
They are designed with trunked or repeater ops in mind. No need for a signal meter, since you'll either Hear the signal or you won't.

beaker7

On my 7000 I have rssi on conventional analog channels. I use it on the NOAA WX channels as a signal test tool (comparison). I think they had it available starting with firmware 14.51 (or something like that, my radio isn't here at the moment). It was a recent addition, as it did not work in the older firmwares even though it was shown in CPS.
So you are saying the signal indicater on you apx7000 works on conventional analog? That'd be cool cause I want to get an apx7000 for ham use.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
I can confirm that it is also on the 8000. Been using it for months.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

N4KVE

Not exactly. There is no antenna signal strength bars indicator for conv analog like on the XPR line. But my APX6000 does have a RSSI indicator at the bottom of the screen. Set to a local repeater, it is now displaying RSSI 32.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Conventional RSSI was added in APX HOST ver 14.51, which is at least two releases back, and works on ALL APX radios.

If by "all" you mean only APX portables with a front display, then sure.

Conventional RSSI does not work on portables with top-only display, or mobiles, or consolettes.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well then it will not work on the ubiquitous O5 head. Either way, certainly not "all" radios.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Conventional RSSI does not work on portables with top-only display, or mobiles, or consolettes.

Conventional RSSI works fine on my APX7500 mobile and since consolettes are basically APX mobiles, I don't see why it wouldn't work on them either.

I think the only radios that won't display RSSI are the top display portables.

Status
Not open for further replies.