Motorola Solutions buys Twisted Pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisasterGuy

Motorola Solutions today announced its purchase of Twisted Pair, the Seattle-based company that enables voice interoperability across multiple technology platforms, including LMR and LTE. Terms of the deal were not announced.

Motorola Solutions evaluated several providers of over-the-top voice solutions for LTE before choosing Twisted Pair, said Bob Schassler, Motorola Solutions’ senior vice president of government solutions, who added that many of the over-the-top solutions were not reliable and were designed only for consumer-grade performance. However, after 10 years of research and development, the Twisted Pair WAVE product is used by federal agencies and is a “higher-tier type” of push-to-talk solution, he said.

Motorola Solutions buys Twisted Pair | Motorola Solutions content from Urgent Communications

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone

fdscan

Twisted Pair... Aren't these the guys that make the iPhone-radio case?

Think I have heard of them. They have a bunch radio related products... They were VERY cool products but it seemed like they didn't have the means to produce them.

This is either mother M buying them out to squash them, or it's them taking advantage of the designs and ideas that they have. If it's the latter... Be prepared for some awesome stuff coming from Motorola.

DisasterGuy

More than likely Motorola is hoping to grab their WAVE product to have some solid LTE integration with LMR similar to the Harris BeOn offering. Twisted Pair however has also done a lot with multi vendor interop in partnership with JPS. There is already some concern from the JPS side of the house about what this will translate to for those those partnerships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevsoles

Premium Subscriber
Twisted Pair

Currently I am using the push to talk feature from wave connect(twisted pair) and it works great. hopefully now that Motorola has purchased it they won't raise the price for using it.

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
Currently I am using the push to talk feature from wave connect(twisted pair) and it works great. hopefully now that Motorola has purchased it they won't raise the price for using it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA!!!

But seriously, we are demo'ing a Harris box that provides BeON connectivity to a phone. Only works for Android rihgt now, they were supposed to have a iPhone app by December, still waiting. I haven't been able to test it because I have an iPhone and a Blackberry, no Android device.

The big-wigs (Dept heads, etc) are intrigued because they don't want to carry a heavy radio. A phone app is totally worthless for working people though.

Although I could see plain clothes cops using a phone to talk on their radio channel while doing whatever they do.

I agree that Motorola bought Twisted Pair with an eye to the future and LTE/LMR integration.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
What's funny about this is Raytheon gave our agency a presentation about WAVE from Twisted Pair not two months ago. No mention that Twisted Pair was up for sale.

I AM NOT a sales person, but an end user in Public Safety who routinely evaluates new technologies, so for those naysayers out there this is actually a pretty nice product (both Android and iPhone compatible). And I say this with the understanding that I firmly believe that new stuff isn't always the better stuff.

San Luis Obispo County Sheriff (Central California Coast) installed the whole WAVE package and really likes it. Several other agencies are also looking at it. Twisted Pair Solutions - Blog

It is definitely not a replacement for traditional radio communications in the Public Safety world, but a tool that could significantly improve the abilities for quick wide area communications. And by wide area, I mean anywhere in world where there is internet access to get you back to your agency.

abrasowski

MotoTRBO Anywhere

I guess no one caught on that Motorola has been using Twisted Pair's software even before this acquisition. "MotoTRBO Anywhere" is TP's Wave Communicator, specially designed to work with Motorola's MotoTRBO trunking systems. The only difference: MotoTRBO Anywhere costs about 3x as much as purchasing Wave Communicator from TP and integrating it yourself with a MotoTRBO trunking system. Legally, TP could never publicly announce this but if you asked the TP sales rep they wouldn't lie and deny it. Seeing this acquisition further proves Motorola's interest in expanding its LMR platform to PTT over cellular/Wifi/broadband.

I believe everyone is correct about this acquisition being more about Public Safety integration/P25 rather than for commercial users, but you will still see the technology continue to trickle down to Motorola's Commercial/Industrial radio platform. The last Motorola rep I spoke to at IWCE said they are shifting there focus more and more to IP communications. Rightfully so, it IS the future (even for LMR and Public Safety radio).

Status
Not open for further replies.