• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR6550 Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

SentinelVT

Good Morning,

I am looking to see if someone can point me in the right direction to obtain firmware updates for the XPR 6550. I have an MOL account with the latest CPS, but have no idea where to find the firmware update files. Legally speaking, are they only available to authorized dealers? Or can anyone with a software authorized MOL account download firmware packages?

Thanks!

clbsquared

If you purchased your CPS through MOL, the updates should be sent to you. Log into your MOL. Go to "Resource Center" tab. In the drop-down select "software support". Under "software history" select "view subscriptions". This will list all CPS that you are currently subscribed to.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You have to download them from MOL.

They are at Software Center/Software/Two-Way/MOTOTRBO

SentinelVT

Admittedly I did not purchase the CPS through MOL. However for $169 for three years it is very reasonable. I will take care of that today and get the firmware through the MOL account. Thanks for the help!

SentinelVT

Any idea where the software download links are posted in the MOL account? I ordered the MOTOTRBO CPS (download version) and the order is "completed/shipped". It also shows that I have a license under "software support > view subscriptions".

SentinelVT

R01.09.00 for the XPR6550. The issue I am having is that I have four portables with varying levels of firmware. I want to update them all to the same version so I can program them all with less issues than I am having now (since I built the codeplug on an older version).

Now that I purchased the CPS, I see the firmware in the resource center, however the latest version links do not work. I am also not able to locate the actual CPS in the resource center...

N4KVE

The newest FW for the 6550 is 1.12.17, Many improvements since 1.09. Especially in the TX audio. Make sure you request the wide band EID also which is needed if you want wide band on FW newer than 1.09.

SentinelVT

The newest FW for the 6550 is 1.12.17, Many improvements since 1.09. Especially in the TX audio. Make sure you request the wide band EID also which is needed if you want wide band on FW newer than 1.09.

Awesome! I will call them tomorrow to see why the firmware links are not working and request they add the software I purchased. Always seems to be a lengthy process with them...

SentinelVT

Called MOL this morning and they were able to resolve the firmware link issue, as well as the software links. Thanks for the help all!

Considered this question/issue resolved.

SentinelVT

With the newest FW, in the general section, set AGC to "ON". That, plus the 1.12.17 FW really improves the tx audio.

Awesome! The Tx audio was one of our chief complaints for our radios being used in a fire service application. Since the current FW in our radios is so old, I am hoping there is a considerable difference.

Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
MOL should simply be considered as a phone number reference to call them, because you have to call them to practically accomplish anything...should call them Motorola On Phone. :p

1.12.17 is the latest, possibly last firmware for the Gen 1 radio series. The AGC audio improvements are well worth the upgrade.

Paul

SentinelVT

MOL should simply be considered as a phone number reference to call them, because you have to call them to practically accomplish anything...should call them Motorola On Phone. :p

1.12.17 is the latest, possibly last firmware for the Gen 1 radio series. The AGC audio improvements are well worth the upgrade.

Paul

Agreed! They were actually very helpful on the phone (which I understand is not always the case). I can't even imagine attempting to explain the bad link issue to them via email. A resolution was obtained much more quickly over the phone.

As for the firmware voice improvements, we are already experiencing a massive improvement in transmissions from those devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.