• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTL 2500 speaker cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I don’t have the accsy connector yet. Hopefully when it comes in this week I will be able to power it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The black part on the screen is normal.

Yes, you must apply power to pin 25 if it is programmed for ignition sense (most are).

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
So when the cable comes, I have to cut the cable and wire it to the new cable? Sorry if I’m looking stupid here. Just trying to get it right without blowing up the radio.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
No. The cable, if you ordered the dash-mount cable, will come with 3 wires coming out of the plug. Two are for the speaker and terminate to a two-conductor plug that plugs into a standard Motorola speaker. The other wire is red and is fairly long. It will have an inline fuse. You connect that wire to your "switched" power source (power that comes on when you start your vehicle and turns off when you turn off the vehicle). The main power wires that you already have connected remain on constant power at all times. If you are using this on a bench, then connect the red switched power (pin 25) to the same source as the red main power lead.

Mr_Boh

slide_7.jpg

toolman60

I don’t have the accsy connector yet. Hopefully when it comes in this week I will be able to power it up.

For testing to see if it works today you do not need the connector just a small wire to apply 12v to ignition sense pin,however if you do not understand that you may be better off waiting for the connector.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I rather wait for the connector as I don’t understand the power aspect other than the plug in. I see the pins on the back. But to afraid to mess with the electrical side of things unregulated.

toolman60

Ok I understand that I was just trying to help you out after reading post 8 to hopefully brighten your day.

Good luck hope your connector comes in soon.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I definitely appreciate it. I just don’t wanna be thrown across the house lol. I can’t wait to get it working and replace the CDM. This is a current picture after I cleaned the XTL.

092ae590728164800c4a20c30a77bdfb.jpg

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
If you don’t know where that radio came from, I’d suggest powering it up without an antenna connected.

Old FCC rules used to require ignition sense. These days you see it more commonly in trunking systems as it’s used to de-affiliate a radio upon shutdown.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
The radio was on the type Ii smartzone system but they since moved to 700mhz Phase II with APX mobiles. I’m assuming it’s still programmed for the old Doitt system. I’d like to have someone program a new code plug for me since I’m using it only for conventional P25 and analog. It’s just gonna be for RX only.

jim202

If the radio came from a trunking system, you had better put a dummy load on the mini UHF connector on the radio before you try powering it up. The radio will try to affiliate as soon as it boots up. That's just the way it works.

You could cause damage to the transmitter PA with out a load on the antenna port.

Trying to program the radio will require a system key to change the existing trunking program settings.

Good luck with your efforts. You do have a fine radio to work with.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I’ve blown out ASK’s with depot on an XTS5000 and Created a new code plug. But never with an XTL. I have Astro depot, but at afraid to brick the radio.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
9986c3aed65f53df954484eefc4f7527.jpg
459204dab84e49ff97610274624f4b23.jpg

I got the cable in the mail today and plugged it in and still for no power.
What do I need to do with the black cable?

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I was trying to strip the red wire back and bit and ripped it out of the pig tail. But I still am not getting any power to the radio. I think I’m gonna have to find someone I can send it to that can check it out [emoji853]

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
From your picture, you don't have the main power plugged in. You have to plug in the main plug and the 26 pin plug.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I broke the red wire out of the main plug trying to strip it. So I just ordered a new one. But I plugged my main power cable in after I tried to put the red wire back in. And still no power.

Status
Not open for further replies.