• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTL 2500 speaker cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Can anyone point me to the right speaker cable to connect to my XTL2500??
I just picked it up from a guy and I have the speaker but no connection cable. I can provide pictures if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_Boh

Just the cable by itself. It's will accept the Spectra accessory connector. You said you had a Spectra power supply so I assumed you were replacing an existing Spectra and already had the cable that has the speaker plug on it. With that, you can remove the cables from the Spectra, install this cable on the back of the XTL and all your old Spectra cables will plug back in.

If you don't have an existing Spectra adapter that had the audio plug for the speaker on it, you will need the first cable I posted, HLN6863

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I just got it home and put it on the astron power supply and didn’t get any power. So idk if the radio even works now which is disappointing

Mr_Boh

Did you try pressing and holding power for a bit? Also do you have an ignition sense cable? That's the first thing I linked - it's ignition sense and speaker adapter.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
There is the standard power cable plugged into the radio running direct from the power supply. It was my old CDM1550LS astron power supply. I plugged directly to the radio

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Yeah. I will tinker with it later to see what’s wrong with it. If not, I will send it off to a shop be evaluated. I picked it up on the letgo app for $90.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
6ba1cf14b75a88039f00ec854b546ab7.jpg

This is how I have it hooked up. But no power [emoji848]

Mr_Boh

You may need an iginiton sense. I just always assume it's needed. That's the first cable I posted. Also has the speaker adapter. If that doesn't work then there is likely something wrong with the radio.

toolman60

Not knowing how the radio is programmed it most likely needs to see 12v on ignition sense to power on.

Ignition Sense Cable
Motorola supplies an ignition sense cable
and recommends that it be used with every
mobile
installation. The ignition sense cable allows the radi
o to be turned on and off with the vehicle ignition
switch, and allows the radio to “remember” the state
of the radio on/off switch, even if it is changed
while the vehicle is off.
• For radio ON/OFF control independent of the ignition switch, connect the red ignition cable (yel-
low for remote) (pin 25 of accessory connector) to “battery hot” at the vehicle fuse block (dash
mount only).
• For radio ON/OFF control via the ignition swit
ch, connect the red ignition cable (yellow for
remote) to “ignition” at the fuse block.
Note that for remote mount installations, the red and yellow leads are connected, not the red lead
from the rear of the radio. See
Table 2-1
The ignition sense cable uses either a 3-amp (P/N 6580283E01) or 4-amp (P/N 6580283E02) fuse.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Because it's programmed that way. You CAN program the XTL to power on without the IS, but most XTL's on the surplus market are not programmed that way. Get the cable, you need it anyway for the speaker.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
9179dfbeda0731c2a0747d767bdfb92c.jpg

I am also seeing the black mark on the control head in the right hand corner. I am not sure if that’s something that might need to be addressed like a blown screen?

Nevertheless, I purchased the cable just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.