• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

motorola xts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've moved your thread to the Motorola forum since it's not a Regional question.

Good luck with your question. Asking a legal question on the Internet will get you lots of answers. Some wrong, some right.

I just looked at your frequencies on the database. If you wanted to listen to PD/Fire and EMS, you'd need 2 radios. Also I believe your police is on a Trunked System. It'd be Cheaper, and easier to just get a Digital Scanner.

But to answer your question, if it is conventional it is legal to listen to. If it's on a trunking system, and you don't have permission to be on the trunking network, they'll most likely kill your radio to boot you off the system, and then you'll have a brick. Which I guess you can say it's not illegal, but they'll just end up kicking you off the network.

t_bergman

If you have to ask about programming a Motorola radio for LE frequencies (even for rx only), you should be buying a scanner. Please, if you don't know what you're doing use a scanner. Anything above conventional rx and you run the risk of putting lives in danger.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
is it legal to own a motorola xts radio with the local police fire and ems programmed into it as receive only?

RX only, yes it's legal.

If you have to ask here how to do it, you're already in over your head.

Last edited:

gtriever

Premium Subscriber
Laws vary from State to State. In Texas, it appears to be yes. If you should travel to Kentucky, no.

kayfox

Which I guess you can say it's not illegal, but they'll just end up kicking you off the network.

Lessee here, you programmed that trunked radio system into your XTS and the moment it transmits (it will do this to affiliating with the trunked radio system) you have done the following:

1. Accessing a network without permission... maybe hit him with the CFAA?
2. Transmitting without a license... The FCC may be interested in that one.
3. Interfering with Police/Fire/EMS communications... probably state and federal laws against that.

So, point is, once it transmits, you have committed multiple felonies and rules violations. With a scanner theres no question that none of this will happen. Your call.

And to head off the "theres a way to program it not to that on p25.ca crowd": I have noticed that many people have gone through this process and ended up affiliating with the TRS anyways. Obviously its possible to mess up and hose yourself.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
can it be done. Yes, by someone who is extremely well versed in that programming. Other than that dont even risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.