• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS3000 Battery after 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhan00

Hi all, first post!

I recently inherited an old Motorola XTS3000 model III. It was sitting idle in our garage for maybe 10+ years until I recently found it. I ordered a charger for it yesterday, but understand that the battery may be dead or even dangerous. Is that true?

If its dead, is it possible to revive it? I saw a few videos on YouTube that said you can "jump start" a dead battery similar by giving it a higher voltage directly to the terminals (maybe using a 9v battery)?

Is this dangerous? Is it effective? I would hate to have to purchase another battery.

Thanks!

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I would discard the battery simply on the premise that it is 10 years old. Even when used without being abused, they only have a finite life cycle. Your battery is well past that. If you search the right places you'll find new or new-old-stock batteries on the cheap. Example, I paid $65 shipped for 2 impres (not impress) batteries, never once charged with date codes of 2014 and 2015.

You also might want to get the XTS3k aligned on a service monitor, they don't p25 very well when out of alignment.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
It's rare to find a 10 year old nicad battery that will even take 10 percent of its rated charge.

It's not going to blow up or anything but even if the battery was NOS in the original box and had never been charged before, it's likely to be bad and won't take a charge.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's rare to find a 10 year old nicad battery that will even take 10 percent of its rated charge.

I've got a stack of Nicad XTS and Jedi batteries with 2006 date codes. All of them will charge to 60-90 percent of their rated capacity.

The issue for older batteries is self-discharge, the older they are, they discharge with no load in a few days.

But yes, a decade old battery is a decade old battery. Should never be relied upon for duty use.

farhan00

Any recommendations on what battery I should go for? I've heard a few buzz words in my Googling.

(again, pardon my noob status)

cmdrwill

IMAX Expert is one place to get good batteries. On EBay and their own websites.

Avoid the china ones.

farhan00

IMAX Expert is one place to get good batteries. On EBay and their own websites.

Avoid the china ones.

What battery, not from where :)
I see a few different models of batteries for my device, so its a little confusing.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
If not going with a Motorola OEM battery, check out the guys at Power Products, they have some great solutions. Even some nice Li-Ion solutions for select radio models (I run their Li-ions on my Astro Sabers…).

cmdrwill

If not going with a Motorola OEM battery, check out the guys at Power Products, they have some great solutions. Even some nice Li-Ion solutions for select radio models (I run their Li-ions on my Astro Sabers…).

Do you have a link for the Li-Ion battery? And what charger is required?

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
I've bought multiple batteries from Imax Expert on Ebay. 6 XTS3000 Batts (For myself and Friends) and a HT1250 for a buddy. Never had a issue! Works/ed as great as a Moto one if you as me!

Status
Not open for further replies.