• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS5000 - WHERE to enter conventional frequencies??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airsoftlike

Hello,
I have a medium experience with programming Motorola MTS2000 and XTS3000 series.
I was able to successfully program buttons, scan lists, channels and zones with those radios.

Recently I have got a couple of Motorola XTS5000 UHF radios.
When I'm trying to program them using ASTRO 25 Portable CPS R17.01.02 - I simply cannot find WHERE can I enter Receive and Transmit Frequencies in Conventional Personalities.

It was very easy to find them in MTS2000 Radio CPS R02.03.00.
There was a tab "Generel" with Receive and Transmit Frequencies.
But I cannot find similar tab here in the ASTRO 25 Portable CPS R17.01.02.
Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,133
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,537

sfd119

Once you create the Personality, you need to go under Zone Channel Assignment and then go under "Channels".

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Open up the Zone Channel Assignment on the tree. Should be at the bottom.

In the XTS radios, the frequency data is independent of the personality.

What SFD119 said.

Your personalities define how that particular mode behaves, like digital, analog, MDC, no MDC, etc. The frequencies come in a separate list.

The XTS-3000 needed 14 pages of stuff to be filled out for each and every frequency used in the radio. It's a hassle if you're doing 16 channels, but if you're doing multiple zones and 160 or more channels, it can take all week to enter and get right. In the XTS-5000, you create a few modes based on your system requirements, then just put the frequencies into the list. It's much quicker and easier.

Airsoftlike

Went to Conventional Personality. Created default Personality №4.
Rx Voice/Signal Type selected Mixed Mode.
Rx Voice/Signal Type selected Non-Astro.
Nothing else touched.
Tab Frequency Options shows Rx Frequency = 403.025 and Tx Frequency = 403.050 both in gray, cannot change them - is that okay?

Went to the Zone Channel Assignment, created channel №8 Conventional, entered Receive and Transmit Frequencies both 430.000.
Entered Personality №4.

Writed successful. Turned on my Wouxun (this is the second sample radio). Tried to transmit my voice on 430.000 - no response from Motorola. Tried to transmit from Motorola on channel №8 - no response from Wouxun and Motorola says "TOOOOOOO....." while I am pressing down the PTT button...

N4KVE

It was quite a shock for me when I got my 1st 5000. After doing MTS2000's, & XTS3000's for years, & entering freq's in the personality section, & sorting them out in zone/channel section, it was a huge change. Now personality is just a few settings, & all the work is in the zone/channel section. You'll get used to it.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
There are a number of things that could be causing what you're seeing.

Can you post your codeplug and I'll take a look at it. Also - give me a channel or two that you want set up and I'll do that for you to help you get started.

Airsoftlike

There are a number of things that could be causing what you're seeing.

Can you post your codeplug and I'll take a look at it. Also - give me a channel or two that you want set up and I'll do that for you to help you get started.

I just need you to add a sample channel №9, that will work lets say on the frequency 430.000 with any Kenwood-type simple radios. Codeplug attached.

Attachments

• codeplug.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 152

Went to Conventional Personality. Created default Personality №4.
Rx Voice/Signal Type selected Mixed Mode.
Rx Voice/Signal Type selected Non-Astro.
Nothing else touched.
Tab Frequency Options shows Rx Frequency = 403.025 and Tx Frequency = 403.050 both in gray, cannot change them - is that okay?

Went to the Zone Channel Assignment, created channel №8 Conventional, entered Receive and Transmit Frequencies both 430.000.
Entered Personality №4.

Writed successful. Turned on my Wouxun (this is the second sample radio). Tried to transmit my voice on 430.000 - no response from Motorola. Tried to transmit from Motorola on channel №8 - no response from Wouxun and Motorola says "TOOOOOOO....." while I am pressing down the PTT button...
That almost sounds like you are trying to program a trunked system and are "bonked out" of the system (because you don't have a trunked system to affiliate into). Or, you may have programmed a talkaround frequency, but not an actual TX frequency. Short of asking for screenshots, the help menu is your friend.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
you create a personality then go into zone and build a zone and then assign a personality to each freq in the zone.... Its all in the help section

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
I made a couple of tweaks...

Channel 9 is 430.000, analog TX and RX with NO PL or DPL.

Give this a try.

Attachments

• 320CDW1219_new.zip
    12.2 KB · Views: 109

Airsoftlike

I made a couple of tweaks...

Channel 9 is 430.000, analog TX and RX with NO PL or DPL.

Give this a try.

Looks like you have programmed it with CPS which has a higher version than my ASTRO 25 Portable CPS R17.01.02..
I receive "The current CPS version cannot support this codeplug as it is not compatible with this release."

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Dang - I do have a later version. Sorry about that. I'm not near the programming computer right now but from memory, I set up a new channel, ensured that PL/DPL was set to CSQ on both transmit and receive and then made some tweaks to personality #4 - Make sure that your Squelch option is set to "Standard" on the RX menu, and your TX option is set to non-astro. The rest of the tabs should be mostly greyed out or disabled as you don't need anything from them for a simplex, analog tx/rx operations.

You had some other settings that were questionable, so I set them to what I know to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.