MotoTrbo or IDAS/NexEdge at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I wanted to ask if anyone has tried MotoTrbo or IDAS/NexEdge at Disney World? I know that there are a lot of GMRS and MURS users there, but wanted to know if the Digital signals work better?

Thanks for all the input.

stevelton

If your using ham radio it would work pretty good. However you cant use digital modulation on GMRS or FRS.

If you have the money for NXDN or TRBO stuff, why not get a ham radio 70cm portable ICOM IDAS digital repeater, and set that up with an portable base antenna at your car in the parking lot, giving you your own personal ham repeater to give outstanding results.

Steven

kg9nn

I have used MotoTRBO at WDW and it works slightly better than narrowband analog. It's say that all other factors being equal, I get a 10% improvement in range. What seems to make more of a difference than analog versus digital is VHF versus UHF. UHF seems to work better in the parks.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your post on how well the MotoTrbo works at WDW. I was thinking of using it when I go there soon, but if you feel it only gives you maybe a 10 % increase in range, then maybe I will try NexEdge at 6.25 and see if I get any better results.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
If you're a ham just use the onsite ham repeaters that WDW has on site last time I checked Disney had two, a 2 meter repeater and a 440 repeater, never tried out the 2 meter one but the 440 worked well in all 5 parks, In Magic Kingdom where they are doing construction for I think the little mermaid (was back in may) near the race way was a little spotty for the 440 machine.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
I will be trying icom IDAS in the parks and will let you know the coverage I get.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Icon idas works well in the parks. I did notice greater reliability of the radios vs a cellphone. I have a sprint iPhone and the service at the parks was terrible. This is where the radios came in very handy. I do realize that Disney has sprint/ nextel towers there, but their phones get priority over everyone else. That may have contributed to my very poor service. Basically use radios vs cellphones. Also there are GMRS repeaters near by for those of you who are properly licensed to use them.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Digital radio use at WDW

Hi everyone,

I know that this topic has been covered in the past, but in a way reposting it I am hoping to gain more insight and give real use of digital radio feedback at Disney World.

I have used Hytera DMR/TDMA portable radios at all the parks. This will be a 4 watt UHF portable radio talking radio to radio. The model numbers were PD362,602, and 682

At MK I had zero coverage issues. I was easily able to talk from mid park to my family member getting off the bus at the entrance of the park with zero problems. Range showed to cover all of the park.

At Epcot, I couldn't transmit from inside the LAND ride to someone outside. Every place else I had perfect coverage.

Studios and AK was perfect coverage

Has anyone use Icom IDAS or Kenwood Nexedge at the parks??

Thank you

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
I used analog in the parks many times. I found the coverage to be terrible. The only have great coverage with digital. I have made this a personal project of mine to always have great radio coverage at WDW. I have sprint cell coverage and its horrible there. Text messages take 10 minutes to go through. I have iphones. Call the cell it goes straight to voicemail.

I needed reliable coverage so I take a few digital DMR radios with me. They work great as stated. I would like to know if anyone has used Nexedge or IDAS.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
I find WDW as being the perfect testing ground for digital radios. There is so much RF interference. there from the rides, parades and other electronics that if your radios work there they will work well many places.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
They just rolled out another upgrade to the park's Wi-Fi systems so it might be worth seeing if some sort of ptt app might work.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
They are running XPR7550 and SL7550 UHF...

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
NoFear2005 and tpredmore, you might have missed it but the OP's post was about the use of digital by members of the public within Disney World.

It had nothing to do with what the Cast Members use or what type of system Disney World is using.

In the future, please pay more attention to the question posed by the OP.

Thanks.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I will be testing the range and quality of Nexedge at WDW. Any requests for range checks from certain areas please post

MSS-Dave

Just curious, are you doing this on simplex or on repeaters located in the park or repeaters located outside of the park?

Sent from Galaxy S4 thingie on AT&T.....

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
these tests will be in digital mode on simplex uhf frequencies. radio to radio.

MSS-Dave

Ok thanks for that. I'd be interested to hear how well you think it works. Will you be comparing to analog on simplex at the same time?

Sent from Galaxy S4 thingie on AT&T.....

Status
Not open for further replies.