Mototrbo Privacy Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdwiz

Hello,

I currently own the BCD436HP with the DRM upgrade.

Does anyone know if you can program in a privacy key for a MotoTrbo System within the Sentinel application? Whether it be Basic or Enhanced I would like to know if it is possible, if you know the key, to have the BCD436HP receive this traffic.

Thank you

RayAir

Hello,

I currently own the BCD436HP with the DRM upgrade.

Does anyone know if you can program in a privacy key for a MotoTrbo System within the Sentinel application? Whether it be Basic or Enhanced I would like to know if it is possible, if you know the key, to have the BCD436HP receive this traffic.

Thank you

You cannot. Your 436HP is just an expensive paperweight if any type of privacy is used.

SCPD

QRT
Uuuuh... my best guess would be no. They have privacy settings for a reason, the users of those systems don't want anyone to listen to them. Besides, it's illegal to decrypt an encrypted signal, in the United States, without permission from the system owner/radio manager. Since it's illegal, I'm sure there are no pathways to program a scanner to listen to an encrypted signal via software, hardware, etc.

jrdwiz

Thanks for the reply!

In this specific situation I know the key value and am authorized to listen to the communication.

I was going to use this if I could but it sounds like I'll have to get another XPR7550.

JRayfield

Just because someone has a key, doesn't mean that they're authorized by the system owner. If they aren't authorized, it's illegal.

The original poster has authorization, so no problems. But, no manufacturer is going to sell a scanner that is designed to be used in an illegal manner.

John Rayfield, Jr.

whynot if u have a key?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I worked in IT managing radios for the Palmetto 800 system in the past. I had the system key, to program radios, as well as the encryption key, KVL, etc., to load encryption keys for the sheriffs department narcotics deputies. If I still had those items on my laptop, and decide to use them, doesn't mean I'm authorized to do so. Programming a radio on the system would be a piece of cake for me if I still had the system key and encryption key. Would it be legal just because I know the encryption key(s) or have the system key? No, it wouldn't, because I'm no longer authorized to use them or be on the system. The OP never mentioned he/she were authorized to use the key. The original question was if it was possible to program that particular scanner if you know the key.

slicerwizard

The OP never mentioned he/she were authorized to use the key. The original question was if it was possible to program that particular scanner if you know the key.
The OP didn't say he/she wasn't authorized, so no need for you to play radio key cop. Legally speaking, the only reason for scanner manufacturers to not offer decryption capabilities is the patent claims that some vendors might hurl at them. Practically speaking, the reason for scanner manufacturers to not offer decryption capabilities is the inability of 99.9% of the (keyless) users to take advantage of it, i.e. it would be a waste of development resources.

RFI-EMI-GUY

This is interesting because the basic privacy is just that, basic privacy. If he has the key, and authorized, otherwise why was it given to him, much like having a WEP passcode, why not?

N9JIG

Sheriff
This is interesting because the basic privacy is just that, basic privacy. If he has the key, and authorized, otherwise why was it given to him, much like having a WEP passcode, why not?

Scanners do not have the hardware or firmware required to decrypt encrypted communications, even with the proper key available. They would not be able to get Type Acceptance if they did.

The only radios authorized by law to have the ability to decrypt encryption are those made by licensees of the technology used for encryption, and that possess the proper codes provided by the system manager or owner.

Since Uniden is not licensed to provide decryption on these systems they cannot make radios capable of it even if an individual system owner allows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.