Mount Olive Police VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sybex7254

Most, if not all of the communications I heard this past weekend were on the new VHF frequency (with both sides of the conversation being heard). But I don't believe they have all their repeater/voter sites up yet as reception is not as good as the VHF Fire frequency yet.

SCPD

QRT
True, their are a "few" dead spots and many with poor reception.

I was hoping MOPD090 would answer!

I think their having some cars w/ VHF and the rest on low band.

I have heard low band being used.

Roxbury hasn't gotten their act together either. Waiting for those precious tie lines.

mopd090

Currently we only have one repeater working in our town. Originally the repeater had an output of 25 watts but had to be tunned down to 10 watts due to interferance with Upper Darby, PA. The VHF works great in Budd Lake, yet reception in poor in Flanders since there are no recievers or repeaters. We're still waiting for Verizon to install the tie lines. Once they're installed, we're good to go.

As for Roxbury, they're having a problem with their tie lines for one simple reason. Tie lines need to be copper wiring and Verizon is only installing fiber optics, so they need to find existing copper lines.

RocketNJ

Instead of RTL's they can order FDDA circuits which can run over fiber. (at a higher cost though).

Another solution I've seen done is to use a 56k DDS circuit and just have an analog to digital converter on each end such as a channel bank. The nice thing about this solution is if you have multiple stations at a site you only pay for one line. The management of the DDS circuits from Verizoff is better than a copper RTL also. The startup cost is higher but the long term cost is cheaper than copper.

Just some thoughts.

George

RocketNJ

One other thing regarding the co-channel interference to Upper Darby. The system could have been designed with directional or downtilt antennas to keep the signal in Mount Olive while minimizing the signal heard in Upper Darby. This would result in better talkout in town.

George

Tech792

We're hearing it solid down here in Middletown, NJ.
In fact, it cuts our mobiles out on 156.06 (input to our DPW repeater)

Status
Not open for further replies.