Mount Vernon, OH - Utica man convicted of setting off Knox County fire tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Chad A. Bero, 31, Utica, was indicted for Disrupting Public Services. Tampering with any property to interrupt or impair police or fire radio communications constitutes the offense of Disrupting Public Services, according to Thatcher. An ex-firefighter, Bero is accused of reprogramming a portable radio to set off the fire tones at the Knox County fire department where he was formerly employed. Bero allegedly set off the fire tones on several occasions, beginning on November 17, 2010. Detective Doug Turpen, Knox County Sheriff’s Office, investigated the case.

Found that blurb after searching his name. Google is your friend. ;)

http://www.co.knox.oh.us/offices/prosecutor/mar11grandjury.asp

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Thanks. That explains it a little more. It still doesn't say if he did this while he was on-duty as a firefighter or after he resigned. I didn't think one could transmit those types of tones on a portable radio. I searched his name locally and only got a high school football story.

Last edited:

firefighter89

Thanks. That explains it a little more. It still doesn't say if he did this while he was on-duty as a firefighter or after he resigned. I didn't think one could transmit those types of tones on a portable radio. I searched his name locally and only got a high school football story.

If it's the standard two tone paging, then yes portables can transmit them. My Vertex VX-354 does.

remember the person setting off the sirens in brunswick fire its like i'm sure he taped the tones and just keyed his radio to send the tones off.i dont think they got him yet.

KK4EYN

To Tones Question.

Yes if he had a mobile unit he can set the tones off. We found out at a department I was with on Radio Check Night and we set the tones off.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I know the HT1250 if the setup is right you can TX up 30 tones on one channel. On some Icoms you can TX 10 tones on 1 channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.