mounting my CB antenna on my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyluckvlt

Please don't laugh at for asking this, but I need to ask so I don't mess things up. I just set up my new CB radio in my car but the antenna is still on the seat beside me. It's a magnet mount but there is a clear film over the magnet. Before I do the SWR tuning, does that clear film on the magnet come off before I stick it to the car roof, or do I leave it covering the magnet?

Hey, I am girl so these things don't come natural to me.

bharvey2

The clear film is likely there to protect the paint. Keep in mind that the paint on you vehicle would most likely act as an insulator preventing a direct metal to metal contact between the antenna and the car body. If your have an aluminum or fiberglass car body then you have other problems to deal with.

Carefully place the antenna as close to the center of the roof (preferred) or trunk lid if that is your desire, route the cable into the cab to your radio and give your radio an SWR test.

ladyluckvlt

The paint acts as an insulator?

The clear film is likely there to protect the paint. Keep in mind that the paint on you vehicle would most likely act as an insulator preventing a direct metal to metal contact between the antenna and the car body. If your have an aluminum or fiberglass car body then you have other problems to deal with.

Carefully place the antenna as close to the center of the roof (preferred) or trunk lid if that is your desire, route the cable into the cab to your radio and give your radio an SWR test.

I checked my car, it's a Hyundai Senata and it has a metal roof. So what you are saying is that mounting the magnet directly on to the roof as well as that clear film stuff may hinder the actual operation of the radio send and recieve. Would this also effect the SWR reading?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
LadyLuckVlt,

The thin layer of plastic likely isn't going to impact performance. to radio frequency energy, it's pretty much transparent.
Leave the plastic on there and just attach the magnetic mount to the center of your vehicles roof. If necessary, adjust the antenna length for ideal SWR.

SnowWalker

Thank-you

The thin layer of plastic likely isn't going to impact performance. to radio frequency energy, it's pretty much transparent.
Leave the plastic on there and just attach the magnetic mount to the center of your vehicles roof. If necessary, adjust the antenna length for ideal SWR.

Thank-you mmckenna and others for not not insulting my wife. We are to meet on the road so she bought a CB so we can chat to each other as we drive. She is, as I, rather clueless about most aspects of the radio world.

Les

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank-you mmckenna and others for not not insulting my wife. We are to meet on the road so she bought a CB so we can chat to each other as we drive. She is, as I, rather clueless about most aspects of the radio world.

Les

No problem. I wouldn't intentionally insult someone on this site for asking a question.
It's a good question to ask, and it deserved a good answer.

Good luck you two.

ladyluckvlt

A wonderful forum.

I got my new CB all tuned up but no one responds for a radio check. The SWR sits around 1.3 on ch 1 and at 1.8 on ch 40. According to the book that came with the radio, that should do the trick.

Thank you for the polite responses people.

Violet

bharvey2

I realize after re-reading my response that I was answering a question that wasn't asked. Sorry about that. For clarification, Good to hear that you got your CB radio up and working. There's always a level of satisfaction when you complete a job and it works! Safe travels...

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Let me offer one tip about a magnetic mount antenna: The plastic on the base of that magnet is pretty soft stuff and not particularly durable. Over time, it will wear through and begin to scratch the finish on the trunk or roof. The solution is to find a more durable material to place between the magnet and the paint. Go on Ebay or someplace and buy a square of clear helicopter tape larger than the footprint of the mag mount. Clean the spot on the car real good before placing the helicopter tape. This way, you don't scratch or damage the finish on the car, and the tape can be left in place or safely removed when needed.

Helicopter tape is extremely durable and will stand up to way more abuse than you would do placing and removing the mag mount many, many times.

I have a piece on order right now for the roof of my wife's Jeep GC. She's very fussy about the car and this will keep her happy.

ladyluckvlt

I realize after re-reading my response that I was answering a question that wasn't asked. Sorry about that. For clarification, Good to hear that you got your CB radio up and working. There's always a level of satisfaction when you complete a job and it works! Safe travels...

Bharvey2, you did answer the question and I do thank you for the response. It clued me in to what was looking for.

Violet

ladyluckvlt

Let me offer one tip about a magnetic mount antenna: The plastic on the base of that magnet is pretty soft stuff and not particularly durable. Over time, it will wear through and begin to scratch the finish on the trunk or roof. The solution is to find a more durable material to place between the magnet and the paint. Go on Ebay or someplace and buy a square of clear helicopter tape larger than the footprint of the mag mount. Clean the spot on the car real good before placing the helicopter tape. This way, you don't scratch or damage the finish on the car, and the tape can be left in place or safely removed when needed.

Helicopter tape is extremely durable and will stand up to way more abuse than you would do placing and removing the mag mount many, many times.

I have a piece on order right now for the roof of my wife's Jeep GC. She's very fussy about the car and this will keep her happy.

Thank-you, Steve. My car is new and I certainly do not want to damage the finish. I also got some valuable information about running the antenna from the roof to inside the car without going through a window opening. You guys are a wonderful source of expertice and it is much appreciated.

Now, I going to hit the road and head for east centeral Canada. I still haven't found a radio check response yet so all I can do is hope it works.

bharvey2

ladyluckvlt, Not sure how much history you've had with CB but in my area at least (San Francisco Bay Area) CB usage has dropped off considerably over the years. The stronghold seems to be the trucking community. Once you get out on the road you may have better luck getting a radio check. Along our long stretches of highway we have a number of TA and Love's truck stops. (much fancier than in the old days) If you've got anything like that along the way, those would be a good place to try. No reason to stop in if you don't feel comfortable doing so, just give a call out as you drive by. Good luck on your trip.

majoco

Stirrer
IMHO I would go back the shop where you bought the CB before you hit the road. The shop will/should have a working CB with an antenna that they can talk to you on just to ensure you have done everything right. If it doesn't work, you're in the right place to get it fixed and/or replaced.

...and you want "Helicopter BLADE tape", the transparent plastic stuff. Otherwise you might end up with what we called "500 mile an Hour tape" which is aluminium with an extremely sticky glue!

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
IMHO I would go back the shop where you bought the CB before you hit the road. The shop will/should have a working CB with an antenna that they can talk to you on just to ensure you have done everything right. If it doesn't work, you're in the right place to get it fixed and/or replaced.

...and you want "Helicopter BLADE tape", the transparent plastic stuff. Otherwise you might end up with what we called "500 mile an Hour tape" which is aluminium with an extremely sticky glue!

From my post: "Go on Ebay or someplace and buy a square of clear helicopter tape larger than the footprint of the mag mount."

ladyluckvlt

you people are wonderful

A nice trucker responded to my radio check yesterday and let know that I was coming in 10 square (Iam not sure what the "square" means) . Snow Walker has told me that 10 pounds of reception means my broadcast signal is where I want it.

I am on the road but need to know what type of a store would carry "helicopter blade tape". I sure don't want to damage the finish on my car. It's brand new.

Thank-you people. You have been absolutley wonderful.

Violet

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I am on the road but need to know what type of a store would carry "helicopter blade tape". I sure don't want to damage the finish on my car. It's brand new.

Bicycle shops sell it to protect the finish on bike frames. I usually order via Ebay as there's no bike stores around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.