Moving the Talk Groups up or down?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know how to move the talk groups up or down when programing the whistler 1095 with the ez scan software? It will not let you move talk groups up or down to get them in order. Anyone have any ideas???As far as I am concerned using the EZ Scan software to program a whistler scan is anything but easy..

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Organize scanlist

On the PSR 800 version, clicking on the heading changes the order.

troymail

Silent Key
Does anyone know how to move the talk groups up or down when programing the whistler 1095 with the ez scan software? It will not let you move talk groups up or down to get them in order. Anyone have any ideas???As far as I am concerned using the EZ Scan software to program a whistler scan is anything but easy..

I keep seeing this ask in various posts but am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Help me/us understand.... Is this just a viewing thing in EZ Scan or are you thinking that reordering in some way will result in the scanner finding certain talkgroups before others in a given system while scanning?

As far as I know (with exception of priority), I don't think the radio looks at any talkgroup as more important than another.

One option for making this happen might be the use of scansets (I don't use so I can't help much there) and/or assigning those talkgroups you have more interest in to multiple scanlists (but I'm not sure that will really help).

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to get the list in order. with Montgomery County, MD You have 7 A dispatch, 7B Dispatch responding and so forth. When it comes to the 72 group and 79 group which is EMS they are all over the place. I want to make my list all in order even if the TGID's are not. No way todo this with EZ Scan for a whistler 1095. Also how can you get the PSR 800 to work with the whistler 1095?

Swipesy

As Troymail stated, if you click on any one of the headings on the Talkgroup details tab it will sort the details low to high, click again and high to low. Thus click on TGID and it sorts lowest TG to Highest. Click on Alpha Tag and it sorts A-Z, etc.

The PSR-800 is an earlier generation of the the 1095. Their firmwares are different and so are their versions of EZScan. If you want to use a PSR-800 EZScan Configuration on the EZScan 1095 version you can do that. Save the 800 configuration to Archive. Then on 1095 EZScan restore the 800 Archive from Archive. Then on EZScan 1095 on the General Settings Tab click on Restore Factory Defaults. Last restore the settings to what you want.

Lastly, you continue to complain on every post you make about EZScan and blame Whistler or whoever. The software is complicated at first but does become second nature after a short time using it. It provides lots of flexibility in programming. Its' only shortcoming is that you cannot export data from EZScan. There are many on these forums that will help you but ask and not complan about the software. It works fine and is what it is and will not change.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
The reason why whistler will not release the programing data for their 1095 type scanner is due to the contract that they signed with Radio Reference. Had a very chat with a VP of whistler this morning. He took some notes as well about the problems i was having with the ez scan software as well. He was also stumped by the problems I was having with the software and will get back to me about it as well. Sorry to everyone about complaining about EZ Scan as well.

Swipesy

The reason why whistler will not release the programing data for their 1095 type scanner is due to the contract that they signed with Radio Reference. Had a very chat with a VP of whistler this morning. He took some notes as well about the problems i was having with the ez scan software as well. He was also stumped by the problems I was having with the software and will get back to me about it as well. Sorry to everyone about complaining about EZ Scan as well.

The reason why Whistler will not release the programming is no secret and whomever you spoke with obviously is uniformed. The topic of EZScan has been thourghly discussed on these forums since 2012. If you do a search on the topic in the GRE Forum you will see the discussion.

The reason is very simple. The RadioReference Database and The GRE/Whistler radios contain propritary and intelectual property rights belonging to RadioReference and GRE/Whistler. When the GRE PSR-800 came out there was a written understanding between all parties that the design of the software would be limited to one developer and written in such a manner to protect the rights of all parties involved.

So get off the subject of a 3rd party and spend your time learning EZScan. You are late to the party. It is easy if you would spend the time to learn it. It is not the software it is you. But you are not alone. Many have struggled with learning how to use it and the reasons for the struggle varies, which I am not getting into here.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I've had my trx2 for about two months now and have to say that ezscan does have a learning curve. It is not something that is open and close when first starting off. Now though, I've pretty much have the basics down.

Hell, just this morning I programed my first v scanner folder. And did so in under ten minutes. There are a couple more things I need to get use to but for the most part, I agree, it is all user error when people take to the boards posting complaints instead of pushing that help button inside the program itself.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Wow!

Certainly, for those who get detailed into scanning, the order matters when you are looking for specific objects through the browse objects menu of the scanner or you just want your scanning database to look neat, making it easier to find/change (yes... believe it or not, some people find and modify frequencies on their own) things.

OP; PM or email me and I will try to walk you through any specific questions you have. While EZ Scan has been making small improvements, it's definitely locked down and frustrating.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
You got that right! I want to be able to have all my list in order and all my groups together as well. But with EZ Scan you can not do that. Thinking about getting rid of my Whistler Scanner and getting a Uniden one where I can have my list in order and so much easier to use as well. Now if their was only someway to decode the encrypted channels here on the Montgomery County, MD system. I know im asking for impossible since I do not have a key plus the scanners out today are not made to do that. Oh well one can dream....

troymail

Silent Key
You might want to consider creating groups of talkgroups and placing those groups in separate scanlists.

The real radios are grouped into "zones" (72, 79, etc.) and there are then channels/talkgroups in each zone (A, B, etc.) - usually in 16 channel/talkgroup "groups".

If you think of these "zones" as "scanlists", you can have a zone/scanlist for each and make it much easier not only enable or disable zones/scanlists but also step through the zones/scanlists (left/right) and channels/talkgroups (up/down) to get to the desired talkgroup that much easier and faster - certainly faster than scrolling through one big list of talkgrroups in a single scanlist.

Just a thought -- use what you have available to you rather than pushing for a change that isn't likely to happen (and continue to be frustrated about it).

jackj

Folks, motorcouchdoug really has no complaint on EZScan software, he just likes to complain. Witness the fact that the software does what he says he wants it to do but he won't admit that it does.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The Whistler software does not allow you to reorder objects in a list. Order is incremental based on add order. The only way to reorder is to delete and add in the order you want.

This is a very simple concept that was overlooked. Very easy to accomplish in databases. Even DSD+ accomplishes it in their text data file arrangements (with the option to custom sort or sort by channel number).

If the scanner wasn't restricted to one software mandate, this is the sort of feature that would be available for people to utilize in pursuit of more effective scanning.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Their are a couple of good ideas here. JackJ no im not complaining just to complain, but letting people know what i think about this software that we are forced to use. Ok so i might have gone overboard a little but then we do, since we are only human. Glad i was able to give a couple of you some LOL it seems.Since I do live in the Washington DC Metro area halfway between Wash DC and Baltimore, MD their is a TON of digital systems both public safety standpoint and US Gov systems as well. Not to mention also I can recieve well 2 states and District of Columbia as well. So I am using 3 scanners. One for MD state picking up 3 counties where I live on the border of all 3, One for my county FD and PD, For my PD in the county they have it broken down into 6 districts so I want to have a separate list again for the FD and 2 of the PD Districts that I want to listen to since i live on the boarder of both of them, Then time to throw in the US Gov in DC , MD and VA. When their is a Potomac River Rescue both MD and VA are on a common Talk Group working together with the US Park Service thrown in as well and Eagle One as well. Sometimes even the DC FD gets into the act as well. so now you see why I need to have at least 3 digital scanners. Going to take a couple of ideas here and use them but will get rid of the whistler scanner and replace it asap. Oh ya when i travel to the beach only 120 miles away in Del then i have one of them programed for that county as well. Thanks once again....

Last edited:

diskmonger

The Whistler software does not allow you to reorder objects in a list. Order is incremental based on add order. The only way to reorder is to delete and add in the order you want.

This is a very simple concept that was overlooked. Very easy to accomplish in databases. Even DSD+ accomplishes it in their text data file arrangements (with the option to custom sort or sort by channel number).

If the scanner wasn't restricted to one software mandate, this is the sort of feature that would be available for people to utilize in pursuit of more effective scanning.

This is one of my biggest complaints with the GRE/Whistler radios, sorting the talkgroups in EZScan as someone suggested earlier in this thread is not re-arranging them in the radio. This also applies for conventional objects.

So, if I want to add a new channel and group it in with other channels of the same type you are SOL, it goes on the end and it cannot be moved up or down.

TAbirdman

So, if I want to add a new channel and group it in with other channels of the same type you are SOL, it goes on the end and it cannot be moved up or down.

Can't you go to the SCANLIST tab, select the scanlist for that area or service you set up and click on NEW? Wouldn't that solve your problem? After adding the new object you can then sort it by Tag, freq, type etc.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
No.

That has no affect on the scanner.

And, even in the software, it does not allow a custom order, unless you delete everything and start over.

SCPD

QRT
I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about .. so I tested.

Well .. AggieCon is right, you cannot sort the data and have the scanner alter what it does, at least from a standpoint of browsing the objects. It is always in TG order (within the scanlist) .. and from a data point of view that is very very efficient. So there is some merit there.

But we do not know how the scanner is truly scanning behind the scenes .. but I can see how a alpha tag sort may be desirable in some situations, from a mere human point of view.

There is a reason why I use a database for my scanner data .. and do not depend on EZ-Scan for anything other than just programming the scanner.

As I see it .. as a software developer myself (and database guy), I think that the ability to browse objects in different ways could be desired.

But purely from the perspective of the scanner (and how I would have done it myself) .. from what I can see, it is doing it correctly.

EDIT .. I have read a few comments on this thread, and I have to say, that there are very good reasons why things are the way that they are in EZ-SCAN. I will not get into it .. cause I would lose 99% of you with the explanation. Some of the things being asked for .. are not possible without substantially degrading the performance of the operation of the scanner.

I have a database on my pc with 55 million records in it and until you have to deal with real data, you probably do not understand why things are truly the way they are.

I am not saying EZScan could not be improved, but not sure that too many would like the outcome, as just looking at my scanner data .. some of the things being asked for in this thread are not possible and still keep the program something most people could understand. But I am not going to get into that.

Last edited:

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it would be REALLY NICE if the scanner would take the order by which you put it in the software when clicking the headers.

Because like some mentioned earlier, it helps when you're browsing objects on the scanner looking for a specific one quicker.

For now, I organize things my way using separate Scanlists where it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.