Moving to Rockdale County...digital or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyS

We'll be moving into Rockdale County... Conyers, actually, and was wondering if I should upgrade to a digital scanner. I see Rockdale County is currently analog. Are there any known plans of going digital anytime soon? Thanks.

Julian1

Rockdale / Metro Atlanta Area

Rockdale is analog for now.

Many Atlanta area agencies are heading toward digital.

On the NW side of Metro Atl - Cobb County is P-25 Moto.
On the E side of Metro Atl - DeKalb County has announced plans to migrate to P-25.

Either Walton or Newton (can't recall which) is getting that blasted "OpenSky" from M/A Comm. Might as well be Nextel....like ProVoice, nothing can handle OpenSky which is a TDMA system.

If you have an analog trunker right now you're ok on that side of Atlanta. Eventually you'll need a digital but as to when.........I'd guess another year.

Good luck with your move. Hope all goes well for you and yours.

*** Great site for Georgia and Metro Atlanta... www.ScanAtlanta.com ***
We try to get together annually for a ScanIn. Check out the site. Signing up for email posts is FREE. Great site and great folks. Many post on this Georgia Forum.

Best Regards,
Julian
Lagrange, GA

TonyS

Thanks for the reply and greetings, Julian. Well, it looks like I may just use my conventional analog scanner for just Conyers right now and wait until the digital scanners come down in price. By then things should be more concrete, plan-wise, for the digital migrations to happen. BTW, is there anything Rockdale or Conyers has to do with GEWIN, or is that just for state PD and interops? Thanks again.

Julian1

Gewin

Members of Scan-Atlanta who live in the Atlanta area are up to date on that.

Since it's free, may I suggest you sign up on www.scanatlanta.com email group. Some of the guys there can get you an explanation. AndrewC75 is a member and a frequent contributor. AndrewC75 and Spectra7 (ScanAtlanta webmaster) can fill you in.

Georgia Emergency Wireless Network is what I believe it stands for.

Ga State Patrol in metro area has two forms of comms.
1. Troop - C which is repeater VHF on 155.910 CSQ (no PL)
2. City of Atlanta's 800-TRS & their own talkgroups. They can access other TRS in area too.

Good luck in your move. Hope to see you at a future Scan-In.

Julian

TonyS

Julian.... or anyone... Conyers -is- conventional analog for their PD, correct? I saw something on another site that lists a sh*tload of 800MHz freqs...which appears they would be trunked. Thanks.

N8IAA

Make sure you put the fleet map in. If you have a CC trunking scanner, you only have to input those for the system to operate.

Larry

Julian1

Conyers Police

Conyers PD is 800 conventional analog.

Pasted from www.ScanAtlanta.com website

Conyers Police Department Traffic 853.7375

Conyers Police Department Dispatch 854.0875

I'll check my laptop where I have ARC250 running. I may have their PL tones.

Thanks,
Julian

TonyS

Julian, what I've gleaned so far is Conyers PD dispatch and traffic both use DPL 411.

Status
Not open for further replies.