Mpd Black And White Units!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
The one on the right is sharp. Cruiser on the left is drab.

In Uncle Sams Army, they told us the reason for the Black & White paint scheme = Vision, car easily overlooked..some psychological reason..and I do not remember.

I always liked halogen lightbars, BUT ; I have found LED takedown and alley lights to be brighter than halogens. LED shows up better of a day ; Halogen is better of a night....I believe halogens are a better and "Clearer" light of a night. I guess you have to compormise somewhere huh.

No one likes drivin a schitty lookin cruiser. :) Bad lookin crusiers and crappy uniforms.....My two peeves of Public Safety.

FF-Medic !!!

ctadam12

WHAT?!? One on right looks like security, one on left looks like REAL police car. Tomar lightbar, however, could go.

JT-112

OK, this is officially a trend now.

While I'm from Milwaukee, I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago now, and 3 surrounding departments have switched to the black-and-white motif.

Minneapolis making the switch too, see the Minnesota forum for that.

Same for Minnesota State Patrol, but it's a variation on colors, they snuck in a dark maroon. Looks nice.

Since I really like the design, I'm happy with this, but it is possible to make some bland designs. I like the CHP, they have a really nice one that's also very classic at the same time.

I never liked the colorful wrapping, it started to over the top.

Regarding lightbars, with the price of gas I suspect there will be a ton of low-profile LEDs for the next few years. Anyone remember the Aerodynic from FS?

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
sixtytwo said:
Anyone remember the Aerodynic from FS?

I just got this one a couple weeks ago for my collection of old FS stuff:

2446426946_6fd6fba073.jpg

Long live the TwinSonic and AeroDynic :D

ctadam12

I remember when CHP used the twinsonic, except they called it the California twin due to the fact state law requires all emergency lightbars have a steady burning red light that can be seen from a mile away.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Now if WSP would go back to the blue and white scheme from the 60s-80s, the cycle would become complete.

JT-112

Think the CA law is that there has to be a steady red light to the front; it doesn't necessarily have to be in the lightbar (but that's usually where it gets put).

I'd like to see a re-design of the state squads too, nice new two-tone dark blue and white would be nice. Emergency lighting on the cruisers hasn't been the best over the years, wouldn't mind seeing something a bit more illuminating there as well.

ctadam12

25252 CVC. Every authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with at
least one steady burning red warning lamp visible from at least
1,000 feet to the front of the vehicle to be used as provided in this
code.
In addition, authorized emergency vehicles may display revolving,
flashing, or steady red warning lights to the front, sides or rear of
the vehicles.

OK...I was a little off.

JT-112

ctadam12 said:
OK...I was a little off.

LOL... Bonus points if you can find the name of the person that caused this nice little piece of CA vehicular code and why...

djeplett

Now you got me curious, too. I work in the fire apparatus industry and I'm well acquainted with the California requirements. It would be interesting to hear the actual court case that started it all.

rcvmo

Long live the TwinSonic and AeroDynic

yeah!!
I've got a pristine conditon red and blue 36" with F/R stationary flashers stripped off an old ambulance in my area.
As soon as my downstairs bar gets finished, this will be the last item mounted.

The history of the lightbar goes like this:

Originally installed on a 1978's Econoline van for rescue.
the van was retired to PD dive team in 1985
The van was stripped, lightbar was installed on a 1985 type 3 ambulance
The ambulance was stripped and retired to the water dept. in 2003
All the fixin's from the ambulance went to auction.
I bought the old lightbar at the auction.
rcvmo

Status
Not open for further replies.