MT magazine UHF Satcom antenna project

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Progress report..lol. I had to use a three way splitter in place of the T connector for the harness will this be an issue? Also I can not find an F to PL259 connector. Any suggestions?

prcguy

A splitter will not work, it must be a Tee adapter. I've had good success with L-Com and here is a link to a page with the F Tee and male F to SO239:
Search results for f adapter on L-com
prcguy

Progress report..lol. I had to use a three way splitter in place of the T connector for the harness will this be an issue? Also I can not find an F to PL259 connector. Any suggestions?

SCPD

QRT
Here is a picture of my completed version of the X-Wing. The only modification I made was adding a sealed 4'' cap to protect the element connections from the weather. Now I just need to put together the reflector and stick it on the roof.

Last edited:

CalebATC

Whoa! That sucker looks commercially made!!!! Wonderful job! It almost looks a little fancy with all the fittings and edges, like some weird looking mini light pole :)

What type of paint did you use, enamel type? I have been reading about doing this with some green Rust-Oleum, but wasn't quite sure. I am probably going to hook an antenna analyzer up first to see how it is, then try it, and if needed, cut it a tad bit on each side. Probably, using engine enamel as stated in previous painting posts.

Love the cap on the top, what did you use to secure it, caulk?

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Caleb. For the cap I used some dark grey foam type adhesive weather strips I had laying around and cut them into 1/2'' strips and secured them around the top edge of the adapter which acts as a gasket. I than secured the 4'' cap to the top via two flat metal brackets that are attached by four screws each. It forms a perfect weather tight seal. The paint I used was just some ordinary flat black spray paint I picked up at home depot.

Last edited:

CalebATC

Ah, ok that's a great idea, and I am sure for most people, that would redcuce alot of rusting. A few weeks ago, when it was all in the snow, I didn't really like the way it was a solid ice cube on the top, I guess I will integrate your idea :)

SCPD

QRT
Doing some field testing with the X-wing in the shack tonight.Caught Spanish pirates on 261.950 and 265.450 with a fairly good signal. Activity also on 255.550 but the signal on that sat is very low. Got to get this thing outside for real testing.

prcguy

If your picking up usable signals indoors it sounds like the antenna is put together ok. When I use a directional antenna on the 255.55 stuff it points to the 105deg orbital slot over the center of the US. You would need a clear shot to the south west from RI with no buildings or trees in the way to get the maximum signal.
prcguy

Doing some field testing with the X-wing in the shack tonight.Caught Spanish pirates on 261.950 and 265.450 with a fairly good signal. Activity also on 255.550 but the signal on that sat is very low. Got to get this thing outside for real testing.

CalebATC

Quick question, prcguy.

Does the antenna work better with the space between the elements pointing south, or one of the actual elements pointing south? Space, correct?

CalebATC

I can only recommend assembling it according to the article and my two prototypes do not change with dipole orientation. If you rotate it and the signal changes something is wrong.
prcguy

Ok, that's what I figured.

Thanks for all the help!

Going to get some parts from ACE tomorrow to do the top pipe cap. Will report on how it goes.

hackinstack

Can someone *please* tell me where I can find the 3" flat-top end caps? I can't find them anywhere in my crappy hardware stores!!!

SCPD

QRT
Can someone *please* tell me where I can find the 3" flat-top end caps? I can't find them anywhere in my crappy hardware stores!!!

I found a 4'' flat plastic drain cap at Home Depot that fit perfectly inside a 3x4'' PVC adapter. Again you have to go to the pipe section that houses the thin "plastic" Drain pipe fittings. There not with the regular PVC stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.