• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS2000 800MHZ rebanded system help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

station32

I have programed a system in my radio and most of the time it sounds fine but some others it sound like open squelch like it is trying to listen to a channel but it is not there. It is a analog syatem no digital at all.
Is there certian setting you have to change when programing a rebanded system. And it is just a regular type II system. Thanks any help would be very much appericated.
Joe

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the radio is looking for audio on an incorrect voice channel sometimes. If your radio has not been rebanded and the system you're monitoring has been rebanded this could happen. I know on the mcs2000's there is a check box in cps to enable the rebanded frequency table but if its an older radio it would need a flash upgrade to receive the rebanded system. Also the rebanded check box in cps would probably be greyed out if the cps determines the radio can't support it.

station32

Ya i think it is going to the wrong voice channel to but the radio is R6.71 and under trunking configuration and general the Rebanding Enabled box is checked off. I am lost i listen to it on my scanner all the time.
Any other ideas??????????

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
So maybe its not a rebanding issue. My mcs2000's kinda do the same thing with weak signals. It goes to open squelch noise and fades in and out. I can tell its weak signal though with a quick press of the rssi button and can hear weak audio. Can you try a better antenna or take a ride near the site and see if the symptoms continue?

N4KVE

Ya i think it is going to the wrong voice channel to but the radio is R6.71 and under trunking configuration and general the Rebanding Enabled box is checked off. I am lost i listen to it on my scanner all the time.
Any other ideas??????????
Shouldn't a radio that is capable of working on a rebanded system have a firmware of R8.71, or near that? GARY N4KVE

station32

I thought anything over 5.?? will do rebanding like i said rebanding enabled box is checked. I think there is just a setting i missed.???????????

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
your radio needs a firmware uplift to 8.71 or later (IIRC latest reband firmware for MTS2000 was 8.73 circa 2008) to properly support rebanding. CPS 2.02 and later will let you select rebanding, but unless your firmware supports the actual rebanding channel tables, it won't work correctly. Apparently CPS doesn't validate this.

Jedi ROS version 6.71 dates from 1999, so you are looking at a refresh. The symptom you are describing is exactly what a radio does when assigned a voice channel and the voice channel is invalid.

Your contact at the transition administrator should have gotten you lined up to get appropriate firmware refresh kits (consist of an I-button and appropriate numbers of refreshes) and you'll need a Smart RIB/cable to do uplifts yourself, or your agency may have to have a local MSS do the work.

station32

It is a personal radio but i did have a system administrator leagaly get me on the system but it is up to me to do anything else. How much does a firmware upgrade cost?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
most reputable shops shouldn't charge you more than $35-$50 for a simple firmware refresh, but it also depends on if they have an I-button lying around with flashes left on it. If they have to order a refresh kit from Motorola for your radio specifically, expect to shell out $80-$100.

Get with your system administrator, if they support the MTS2000 on their system, they should have a streamlined process for you, and he/she should already have a refresh kit with some flashes left.

Status
Not open for further replies.