multi-band mobile antenna recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2edv

Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 396XT and plan to use it in my car. I want to purchase a good multi-band antenna, and I'll mount it on the passenger-side of the rear hatch on my Subaru Forester. The driver-side of the hatch is the home of my vhf/uhf transceiver stick. I'll mount the scanner antenna using a Diamond K412SNMO mount because it is adjustable in 2 dimensions.

I've read about the Austin Spectra and it looks appealing, but I've read comments where some users consider it a bit fragile. I was hoping to use as much of the scanner's freq range (25-1300) as possible.

Does anyone have any comments about the Spectra, good or bad, and can anyone offer other antenna recommendations?

I've looked at this so much I'm getting myself confused - TMI, I think.

thanks in advance/73
w2edv
:confused:

w2edv

more info on mobile antenna recommendations

Hi Everyone,
I forgot to mention, in my original post, just above, that I also checked out the Diamond D-220, mini discone, on the Universal Radio site.

I was concerned that the counterpoises would hit the hatch - that there would not be enough physical spacing. This antenna had received remarks of it's fragility as well.

w2edv

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I used to own a Austin Spectra and didn't care for it. If you plan on monitoring the NJSP, then stay away from that one. I use an Antenex ABSCANC and that works pretty well all around.

w2edv

thanks, John.

Everyone - thanks for your input - I bought a Larsen tri-band from cheapham.net; the Diamond hatch NMO mount is coming from Universal. If I'm lucky, I hope to get the stuff by Friday so I can install it over the weekend.

73 - I appreciate the input from everyone.

w2edv
Earl

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Hi Earl,

I came across this thread while searching for info on the Spectra. Just wondering how you liked your Larsen. I will look at that one, as well.

Thanks,
Todd

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Status
Not open for further replies.