Multicoupler/Splitter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaLa

I guess this would go in here?...
Is there an affordable multicouple/splitter I could get for.

My Scanner (Pro96)
and a Kenwood TK880 (25 Watt)

that wouldn't damage my scanner if I TX on (the TK880) it?

Got a TK880 in my office at work, and I like hooking my scanner up to the outside antenna, much better reception.

Last edited:

jim202

There are several companies that make multi band couplers to allow milti band operation. In other words, you could use one radio on VHF, another on UHF and a third on 800. If this is what your question is trying to say, yes it can be done. However bear in mind that the scanner can not be used on the same band as the TK-880.

Jim

BaLa said:
I guess this would go in here?...
Is there an affordable multicouple/splitter I could get for.

My Scanner (Pro96)
and a Kenwood TK880 (25 Watt)

that wouldn't damage my scanner if I TX on (the TK880) it?

Got a TK880 in my office at work, and I like hooking my scanner up to the outside antenna, much better reception.

BaLa

I guess my main concern was that Tx on the 880 wont damage my scanner then?

Using a T Adapter and a cheap UHF Handheld radio, it completely silents my scanner, (If I TX on the HH) I though it might not be good for it.

So if I could get a splitter and just hook my my scanner on my shift then, I figured it wouldn't harm my scanner in that case.

Last edited:

Bill2k

I guess my main concern was that Tx on the 880 wont damage my scanner then?
You will damage your scanner.

Using a T Adapter and a cheap UHF Handheld radio, it completely silents my scanner, (If I TX on the HH) I though it might not be good for it.
This is called front-end overloading and it is not good for your scanner. You can damage front-end circuitry by transmitting to close to your scanner's antenna.

So if I could get a splitter and just hook my my scanner on my shift then, I figured it wouldn't harm my scanner in that case.
If you had a coax switch, you could do this... Connect the switch between the scanner and splitter. Before you transmit, flip the switch to the "open" position.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi BaLa and all,

These guys are clueless as am I so the very FIRST question you must answer is what sort of antenna are we talking about here? What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. Once that's settled we can discuss your options but in any case DON'T DO ANYTHING yet, don't put your equipment in jeopardy.

BaLa

don't know what kind of antenna they got on the roof, it's a cheap looking antenna.

looks sort of like that
http://www.radiohaus.com.br/m-240a.jpg

except for the center element (not sure if that's the correct term to use??)
looks more like the Antennex QW450
http://www.weisd.com/store2/ANXQW450.jpg

It's really hard to see.
I don't think it's a good antenna, but it's mounted on the roof of the Warehouse I work in, I can receive the Greeene County, as well as the Fort Leonard Wood, Mo systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.