Multiple instances of DSDPlus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I'm trying to run several instances of DSDPlus, one with audio input and the other with FMP24 connected thru a port. Every time I try to open a second instance of DSDPlus it reverts to the open one instead and doesn't allow me to open a new one. Is there a command-line trick or something I need to do to make it work?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm trying to run several instances of DSDPlus, one with audio input and the other with FMP24 connected thru a port. Every time I try to open a second instance of DSDPlus it reverts to the open one instead and doesn't allow me to open a new one. Is there a command-line trick or something I need to do to make it work?

I'm not sure if there is the ability to run multiple copies from the same directory on the public release -- there may be that possibility in one of the Fast Lane versions though.

But you can just copy the directory [in its entirety] and then run one copy out of one directory and the other copy out of the other directory. I think that would accomplish what you are wanting to do.

Mike

M105

It should not be a problem. I am running 4 instances of DSD+ and 3 instances of FMP24 in one folder. I use a batch file to run other batch files. The main .bat is below for an example. In the batch files that are executed, the VC copies of DSD+ are fed using VB cable. The CC copies are fed using TCP. All of this resides in one folder. I do use the -F attribute on the DSD+ files but I think it will work without it. I am using the fastlane version and somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the release version will also allow multiple instances in the same folder. It is necessary to follow a trunked system.
-----
start X_FMP24-VC.bat
TIMEOUT 2
start X1_DSD-VC.bat
TIMEOUT 2
start XN_DSD-VC.bat
TIMEOUT 2
start P25_FMP24-CC.bat
TIMEOUT 2
start P25_DSD-CC.bat
TIMEOUT 2
start NX_FMP24-CC.bat
TIMEOUT 2
start NX_DSD-CC.bat

slicerwizard

I'm trying to run several instances of DSDPlus, one with audio input and the other with FMP24 connected thru a port.
FMP24, so Fast Lane? If so, there is the DSD+ -F<num> command line flag.

A -F<num> (file number) command line parameter has been added

When this parameter is used, DSD+ modifies the names of its output files
in order to avoid name collisions with other copies of DSD+

The affected files are DSDPlus.wav and DSDPlus.event
The per-call Record folder's name is also modified

Use this feature if you want multiple copies of DSD+ to share the same
networks, sites, groups, radios and frequencies files

This feature should allow you to simultaneously monitor multiple control channels (sites)
of a network with all group and radio data being stored in the DSDPlus.groups
and DSDPlus.radios files

The sites can be part of a single network or multiple networks;
multiple protocols can be simultaneously monitored

This feature WILL NOT allow you to follow control/rest/voice channel changes
on multiple sites. Upgrades to FMPA and FMP24 will be required to support that.
At present, you must use separate DSD+ installations (folders) to trunk track multiple
site or systems.

So just add -F2 when you run the second copy of DSD+...

Gilligan

Database Admin
FMP24, so Fast Lane? If so, there is the DSD+ -F<num> command line flag.

A -F<num> (file number) command line parameter has been added

When this parameter is used, DSD+ modifies the names of its output files
in order to avoid name collisions with other copies of DSD+

The affected files are DSDPlus.wav and DSDPlus.event
The per-call Record folder's name is also modified

Use this feature if you want multiple copies of DSD+ to share the same
networks, sites, groups, radios and frequencies files

This feature should allow you to simultaneously monitor multiple control channels (sites)
of a network with all group and radio data being stored in the DSDPlus.groups
and DSDPlus.radios files

The sites can be part of a single network or multiple networks;
multiple protocols can be simultaneously monitored

This feature WILL NOT allow you to follow control/rest/voice channel changes
on multiple sites. Upgrades to FMPA and FMP24 will be required to support that.
At present, you must use separate DSD+ installations (folders) to trunk track multiple
site or systems.

So just add -F2 when you run the second copy of DSD+...
Yes, I'm using FastLane. Just noticed this and certainly appreciate the help. I also found it in some of the previous release notes; definitely going to have to go back and read them completely through to see what else I missed :)

Gilligan

Database Admin
Just to confirm, there's not currently a way to use one instance of FMP24 to feed multiple TCP streams to DSDPlus, is there? I know that other SDR software (SDR-Trunk comes to mind) does seem to have the capability to utilize multiple raw streams from the available bandwidth simultaneously, however I'm not sure if it is truly simultaneous or if it just appears that way.

For example, suppose you were monitoring a series of Capacity Plus frequencies within the 2.4 MHz bandwidth of FMP24; it wold be awesome if you could stream those frequencies to individual instances of DSDPlus while only using one dongle and one instance of FMP24. Just imagine the potential...

D

DaveNF2G

For simultaneous reception, you need to duplicate the code. A single instance of FMP24 cannot run multiple threads of the same functions. Perhaps if it was rewriten, it might. But it's just not in the nature of how software works for the current code to function in that manner.

M105

Just to confirm, there's not currently a way to use one instance of FMP24 to feed multiple TCP streams to DSDPlus, is there? I know that other SDR software (SDR-Trunk comes to mind) does seem to have the capability to utilize multiple raw streams from the available bandwidth simultaneously, however I'm not sure if it is truly simultaneous or if it just appears that way.

For example, suppose you were monitoring a series of Capacity Plus frequencies within the 2.4 MHz bandwidth of FMP24; it wold be awesome if you could stream those frequencies to individual instances of DSDPlus while only using one dongle and one instance of FMP24. Just imagine the potential...

I am feeding two copies of DSD+ from a single copy of FMP24 using VB Cable. One is set to decode P25 and the other NXDN. So both copies "listen" to the same VB Cable for their audio input. I found no way to feed both with a TCP connection.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I am feeding two copies of DSD+ from a single copy of FMP24 using VB Cable. One is set to decode P25 and the other NXDN. So both copies "listen" to the same VB Cable for their audio input. I found no way to feed both with a TCP connection.
Are they monitoring the same frequency or different ones? I also have Virtual Audio Cable and could try something like that...

M105

The copy of FMP24 is the Voice Channel receiver which is being tuned to different frequencies in two trunked systems by Control Channel receivers. It was necessary to use two copies of DSD+ to decode the voice as a single copy set to -fn -f1 will not switch back and forth between protocols very well. By using one dedicated to -fn and one dedicated to -f1 it insures decoded voice no matter which system is active.

Gilligan

Database Admin
The copy of FMP24 is the Voice Channel receiver which is being tuned to different frequencies in two trunked systems by Control Channel receivers.
If I understand correctly, it is not tuning two frequencies simultaneously but is switching back and forth, correct?

slicerwizard

If I understand correctly, it is not tuning two frequencies simultaneously but is switching back and forth, correct?
Not quite. M105 has a VC copy of FMP24 that is effectively watching two CC copies of DSD+ and it tunes to whatever active call comes along first. When that call ends, it looks for another one. So one call at a time. No simultaneous tuning and no back and forth tuning.

You're looking for a way to get FMP24 to tune to multiple signals (multi VFO), but so far, that functionality hasn't shown up. IMO, it's long overdue!

M105

Yeah, FMP24 is being tuned to different frequencies one at a time.

The two copies of DSD+ are both "listening" to the same audio stream and I am doing it with VB Cable. If you try to make them "listen" to the same TCP port you will get a port unavailable error when the second copy tries to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.