• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MURS Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Simple question: Can you operate a MURS frequency with a tone code to limit the amount of traffic/interference on it?

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I just wanted to know cause nowhere that I could find online stated anything about " tone-codes" and if they are allowed or not

RandyKnowles

Just remember that tone coded squelch does not eliminate other traffic or interference. It just masks your receiver from hearing it. The other traffic or interference is still there, which can lead to frustration. Also, carrier squelch monitoring is mandatory before transmitting to make sure you will not interfere with other existing on going conversations on the frequency…..

kc4jgc

Yeah I am not worried about that. Simply put I can encrypt if need be.

That's NOT encryption. You're just telling your ht to send a specific CTCSS and not open the squelch unless that same CTCSS is received. Your transmissions are still in the clear.

Last edited:

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

OK; your last post wasn't clear on that. Still whether in the clear or not, you need to ensure the freq is clear before transmitting.

tj20

In part 95...

Coded Squelch: LEGAL
Scramblers: NOT LEGAL
Digital Encryption: NOT LEGAL
Using any radio in MURS that has scramblers or encryption: PROBABLY NOT LEGAL (because it won't be certified)

Then I guess my Motorola rdm2080's (murs only radios) are illegal because they have voice inversion :)

Last edited:

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Lets be honest. MURS is license free. Most people don't use it in rural areas anyway. Also most businesses either have a FCC license and granted Frequency or they use something else like iDen or Direct Talk style radios. MotoTrbo radios too have been increasingly popular because of range and the easy switchover to digital. So if the radio does have voice inversion or some other form, strictly MURS or not I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you don't cut off someone else talking on a MURS frequency you should be fine. Also operating on 2 watts is a must/requirement.

rapidcharger

Yes it is a murs only radio made by motorola. And before anybody says it yes I know voice inversion is not secure. RDM2080D Motorola Two-Way Radio, Handheld, MURS VHF, 2 Watt, 8 Channel, PC & Field Programmable,

That's not what I asked. I asked if it was a MURS certified device.
Here's a hint. If it is, it needs to say so on the unit itself. If you have one, look for a label that indicates that it is a MURS certified device.

Lets be honest. MURS is license free. )))

Let's be honest.
MURS is LICENSE BY RULE.
Not license free.

(((Most people don't use it in rural areas anyway. Also most businesses either have a FCC license and granted Frequency or they use something else like iDen or Direct Talk style radios.)))

This is not a statement that is based on fact. And iDen... I hate to break the news to you about iDen but.....

(((MotoTrbo radios too have been increasingly popular because of range and the easy switchover to digital. So if the radio does have voice inversion or some other form, strictly MURS or not I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you don't cut off someone else talking on a MURS frequency you should be fine. Also operating on 2 watts is a must/requirement.

Why is ok to pick and choose which rules you want to abide by? Going over 2 watts is not OK but encryption is? That's like saying it's ok to drive drunk as long as you don't speed. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

There is a reason the rules are what they are.

i run p25 with adp all the time

And there's a reason this forum has the reputation that it does. :roll:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Lets get back on topic. Being a Premium subscriber does not give you any higher level of membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.