• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MURS programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie1234

Hi sorry if I am on the wrong thread but I am currently confused on what I am supposed to do. With all the Narrowbanding, it is making things more confusing. I have 10 Motorola CP200 and 5 Motorola SP10 radios. All of them are currently being used on a MURS frequency. I purchased these radios on Ebay and the seller helped me program the CP200 with 1 MURS frequency and 15 business frequency. I also noted to the seller that I won't be planning on getting a business license so the seller limited the power to 2W for all the CP200. But I bought those radios 5 years ago and I never realized that narrowbanding will be coming in effect. Well my question here is how do i make my radios capable of narrowbanding. I heard that the SP10 aren't narrowbandable but I also heard that radios that transmit less than 2W of power are exempt from the law.

My other question is that if I go reprogram them at Bearcom, will they do it? I just need 4 MURS channels and have it in compliance with narrowbanding. The reason why i asked that is because MURS radio does not have a removable antenna and has a limit of 2W transmitting power.

Last thing, is it possible for me to purchase the programming software for the CP200 from Motorola if I don't have a business radio band license?

Thank You.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
The upcoming narrowband rules have no effect on MURS. The three "low" MURS frequencies (151.820, 151,880, 151.940) are already supposed to be narrowband. The two "high" MURS frequencies (154.570, 154.600) are grandfathered and can continue to use wideband (but are still permitted to use narrowband). So you need make no changes to your radios; if they're legal now, they'll be legal after narrowbanding.

Also, there's no rule against removable antennas in MURS.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
You can buy the software from Motorola without a radio license. You just need an online account from businessonline.motorola.com. Once you get signed up, you'll need to complete an online software license agreement. From that point, if you don't know the part number of whatever software package you want to buy, you can call them (Motorola) and ask.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The 2 watt exclusion was in a proposed mod to the NB plan several years ago. It was never adopted.

So, *IF* you have a license, your 2 watt radios are included in the narrowband mandate.

(I realize that this does not affect the OP, but wanted to make that clear to others who might follow this thread.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Last thing, is it possible for me to purchase the programming software for the CP200 from Motorola if I don't have a business radio band license?

As already stated, whether or not you have a license does not have anything to do with setting up a MOL account and purchasing from Motorola.

The software is $199 plus you will need a cable. Given that cost, you may find it more effective to just stick to the MURS channels and not worry about any of this. FWIW, the programming software is not simple and requires knowledge and experience with radios to be correctly used.

There are some Ebay folks that offer programming services for about $15 per radio plus shipping. Given your particular situation, you may be much better off working with one of them or finding a shop locally to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.