• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

My blog about Amateur Radio Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

viking396

Since nobody really reads my blogs, heck why would they, typically it's buried nehind the millions of XXX blog spam on BlogSpot so if someone browses through the blogs they get disgusted and stop. So I'm posting it here for both positive and negative responses. I am technically new to this hobby and in the short time I have been listening to Ham Bands have heard enough to write this blog, let me know what you think. Please read the whole thing prior to saying I think all Amateurs are unprofessional, thanks.

Amateur Radio “Professionalism” or should I say…
Utter lack thereof? Ok, maybe I am ignorant of the real world or maybe my expectations were just way to high regarding Amateur radio. As you read the books you realize they were written for a different time, back then people tried to convey courtesy and a code to follow. I hear people today in the hobby claim to follow a code and I hope they do, I know when I get licensed I will follow the code and hopefully I’ll be treated with more respect than I hear people getting on the bands. Today people do whatever “feels good” or “deal with me or it’s your problem, I can say or do anything I wish, you have to adjust to me, conformity of any kind sucks”, even if it’s rules or law.

Example 1: on 80 meters (I won’t mention the frequency) I heard some very vulgar people on a net rag chewing in every way one should not rag chew and when someone reminded them of the rules they swore at him and as a group treated him like crap. As if HE was at fault and their behavior was the norm and him expecting anything less than vulgar swearing and depicting women in various positions should be just fine on the radio. Now if this wasn’t something I hear almost nightly on that frequency or others with similar content I would simply change the channel because reporting them would probably go nowhere. It seems on many frequencies the rules just aren’t in use, sometimes you hear a call sign given and many do abide by the rules but it seems as if almost 50% don’t, it’s making me re-think getting my license, is it really worth it, not sure yet still contemplating it.

Example 2: This frequency I will give out since it’s well known in the radio world as well as the online world (as I found out after looking his call sign up). 20 meters 14.275.00 is the frequency that one Karl Madera (call sign VE7KFM) has decided he owns, if someone is on the frequency prior to him he will crank up the juice and override them explaining that “American Al Queada is purposely QRM’ing him” and that the channel is in use and he will not relinquish it, then he will go on a tirade of how he wants a specific American killed and if Al Queda does it he will donate to their cause. He spews garbage about getting men to give up their daughters to him or talks about bath houses for gay use. Things that should get him kicked off the airwaves but apparently in Canada where he lives there are no rules for Ham radio operators, if there was then how can this guy do this for years on end with no worry of prosecution? I could go on and on about 14.275 but a simple search using Google will provide all the information one would need to see what I mean.

Example 3: The one band that will be the reason why I do get my license. The 2 meter band. On this band I hear nothing but respectful discourse and people acting like the book says they should act, one frequency in particular is 147.210.00, this is the repeater that the FRRL uses and I have never heard disrespect or vulgarity. A very friendly to all users group of people using the radio for it’s intent. In fact all of the 2 meter frequencies I have listened to have been this way.

I hear other people on 14.275 who have constant conversations and have never heard a call sign being used. Are the rules not enforced in the US either? I always wanted to be an Amateur Radio Operator (Ham) but because of cost/time didn’t have the chance. Now that I do the initial perception was negative and now I hear these people using the radio with no regard for the rules what-so-ever and wonder why bother? Buy a scanner and sell the 746Pro. I have my Mic turned off and my Transmit power set to 0, why? Because I don’t have my license yet. It now makes some sense to me why people who I discussed getting a Radio with were negative towards me, it doesn’t excuse it mind you, but I understand it better now.
A year from now I’ll probably be that person that insists you get a license prior to buying a transceiver and I’ll be just like the other Ham’s that want to protect the hobby.. I can see it now.

Ok, so here is a positive aside from the great people on 2 meters. Learning this hobby has turned my brain back on, cells not in use are now being brought back online, something new to contemplate, new to learn and in many ways complicated and in many ways not. Sometimes (no, scratch that, most times) I over think what I’m reading and make it harder than it needs to be. The great thing is that learning this hobby is actually helping me in my job and other hobbies so I do look forward to getting my Tech and the hopefully the same day my General. I mailed my check into the FRRL and will be a member prior to licensed radio operator and look forward to many rag chews on the 2 meter repeater and beyond, very soon!
73’s

zz0468

Some interesting observations... Here's my comments:

Re: Example 1: 80 meters has always been home to various miscreants. Look in the 50 year old back issues of QST. It's nothing new, I assure you. I suspect many, if not most, of these operators can be seen on other bands operating normally. Get 'em with their buddies on 80 in the evening, and they let their hair down, so to speak. Let 'em. Move up the band a bit and they won't bother you. Sometimes they can be amusing to listen to, when they don't go so far that they insult even my liberal sensibilities.

Re: Example 2: 14.275 has long been the gathering place for such nonsense. A list of notable characters that have been known to congregate there includes K1MAN, N9OGL, as well as VE7KFM. There are others. They can have the frequency, so far as I'm concerned. Its theirs to do with as they please. Just stay off the rest of the band. Like the cranks on 80 meters, they won't bother you if you don't listen, and you don't attempt to use that frequency - ever.

Re: Example 3: You clearly don't live near Los Angeles like I do. I'm glad to hear you can enjoy 2 meters so much. Even 2 meter SSB has a cast of less than desirable characters around here. Out here, there are a number of repeaters that sound like 80 meters can at night, or 14.275. But I'm a self proclaimed RF Snob. I prefer the quiet solitude of private 440 repeaters, myself. I haven't been able to stand 2 meter FM for close to 30 years. I don't miss it.

The real thing to observe here is that there's something for everybody. You've chosen to point out two of the worst possible examples of amateur radio to focus on, and the third is of dubious value in my not-so-humble opinion. Just realize there's a huge amount more to the hobby than 80 meters, or 14.275, or 2 meter repeaters. I'm active on nearly all bands and modes from 160 meter CW to 24 GHz weak signal stuff, and even have a few EME (moonbounce) contacts in my logbook. In my 33+ years as a ham, I've been quite able to ignore the seedier side of the hobby. The closest I ever come to it is here, at RR.

Pay a bit more attention to the guys running experimental modes, or higher frequencies. Or the DXpiditions that use cutting edge techniques and equipment (Ducie Island comes to mind), or the wide area linked repeater systems that take so much time and money to maintain. Or... or... or... the list is endless. Once you get outside the mainstream, the quality of the people you get to associate with goes up tremendously, and the things that falsely make it appear that the hobby is on a down slide seem very far away, indeed.

viking396

zz0468 said:

Re: Example 1: 80 meters has always been home to various miscreants. Look in the 50 year old back issues of QST. It's nothing new, I assure you. I suspect many, if not most, of these operators can be seen on other bands operating normally. Get 'em with their buddies on 80 in the evening, and they let their hair down, so to speak. Let 'em. Move up the band a bit and they won't bother you. Sometimes they can be amusing to listen to, when they don't go so far that they insult even my liberal sensibilities.

Re: Example 2: 14.275 has long been the gathering place for such nonsense. A list of notable characters that have been known to congregate there includes K1MAN, N9OGL, as well as VE7KFM. There are others. They can have the frequency, so far as I'm concerned. Its theirs to do with as they please. Just stay off the rest of the band. Like the cranks on 80 meters, they won't bother you if you don't listen, and you don't attempt to use that frequency - ever.

Re: Example 3: You clearly don't live near Los Angeles like I do. I'm glad to hear you can enjoy 2 meters so much. Even 2 meter SSB has a cast of less than desirable characters around here. Out here, there are a number of repeaters that sound like 80 meters can at night, or 14.275. But I'm a self proclaimed RF Snob. I prefer the quiet solitude of private 440 repeaters, myself. I haven't been able to stand 2 meter FM for close to 30 years. I don't miss it.

The real thing to observe here is that there's something for everybody. You've chosen to point out two of the worst possible examples of amateur radio to focus on, and the third is of dubious value in my not-so-humble opinion. Just realize there's a huge amount more to the hobby than 80 meters, or 14.275, or 2 meter repeaters. I'm active on nearly all bands and modes from 160 meter CW to 24 GHz weak signal stuff, and even have a few EME (moonbounce) contacts in my logbook. In my 33+ years as a ham, I've been quite able to ignore the seedier side of the hobby. The closest I ever come to it is here, at RR.

Pay a bit more attention to the guys running experimental modes, or higher frequencies. Or the DXpiditions that use cutting edge techniques and equipment (Ducie Island comes to mind), or the wide area linked repeater systems that take so much time and money to maintain. Or... or... or... the list is endless. Once you get outside the mainstream, the quality of the people you get to associate with goes up tremendously, and the things that falsely make it appear that the hobby is on a down slide seem very far away, indeed.
Valid points, very much so, I obviously have to be in this for awhile and develop the thick skin. I guess I was just shocked by the things I have heard, not just at night but any time of the day. My radio doesn't do 440 so can't speak to that but as I gather expereience and the thick skin I'll add to the radio hardware to open the possibilities.

Some things I find very cool are the people I hear from outside the cont US like the Virgin Islands, Cuba, Mexico, Canada and interesting stuff within the US. Very interesting things can be heard on AM at night!

People like VE7KFM don't make sense to me but I'll get over it, right now listening to some interesting QSO's on 14.282.80 very good stuff!

Thanks for the feedback and when I get licensed I hope to make a contact or two with you.

73's

Erik

viking396

zz0468 said:

One thing to note, I am VERY limited antenna wise. I would love to mount a massive vertical or beam but right now my antennas are in the attic. I would love a tower with a very good vertical and a beam or two. I am great RX from North / South but East / West not very good with my 20 meter Dipole in the attic.

AC0RV

Premium Subscriber
I agree there's bad people out there in Ham Radio. We are all not that all that bad on 80ms . When you do get your liscense I would love to chat with you,

viking396

KC0STG said:
I agree there's bad people out there in Ham Radio. We are all not that all that bad on 80ms . When you do get your liscense I would love to chat with you,
Thanks and I don't mean to come of as all high and mighty, I have my moments. I guess I'm just shocked by the lack of restraint and lack of using ones call sign, if they even have one. On 14.275 (sorry I keep using that as a reference) there are regular rag chews where no call sign is ever given, and I know people are listening because once in awhile they chime in.

I hope my point of hearing many people who do it right came across, I do want to point out the positive even when I'm posting something negative. :)

key2_altfire

Sux…

Near my old condo in Lakewood I'd hear these two guys on all-night ragchews in the 900 MHz bands. Vulgar, vulgar, vulgar!! I think they were tow truck operators standing by for calls (?), that was just a guess. That was before I had my ham ticket, so I never recorded the frequency and checked which radio service they were using.

I frequent the 2m repeaters around my area and it really ticks me off when people kerchunk the repeaters over and over. Not just kerchunk it, but they'll key up their transmitter like 40 times a minute. It's like COME ON people!!

/rant

Until you get a license, you really have nothing to say about the hobby. This is the same as you complaining about the way people drive, yet only being a "backseat" driver.

CDN

VE7KFM Duplicate Account
Banned
viking396:

viking396 said:
This frequency I will give out since it’s well known in the radio world as well as the online world (as I found out after looking his call sign up).
You appear to be equating/confusing on-air radio monitoring in real-time, with selected on-line radio clips+ offered on the World-Wide-Wasteland, at best....

There is a world of difference between the two, which you would have done well to learn, years ago.... For the one, I recommend an adequate SW receiver, a good (non-store-bought) antenna, a pair of even mediocre 'ears' and above all, a discriminating "central processor".... For the other, it's best to use lots and lots of skepticism, especially if the WWW 'offerings' are anonymous and the author might have an axe to grind....

From the aside, as elsewhere in your post, you also appear ab initio to be making the wish the father of your thought....

14.275.00 is the frequency that one Karl Madera (call sign VE7KFM) has decided he owns, if someone is on the frequency prior to him he will crank up the juice and override them....
Evidence?

Since 14.275 MHz is arguably the single most monitored--and recorded--freq. on amateur radio in the past handful of years, I'm sure that you/yours will be able to come up with at least one clear and unequivocally convincing recording of VE7KFM QRM'ing a freq. in use. If not, you owe Karol [sic] an Apology. BTW It's very bad 'form' to use surnames on amateur radio and related. FYI It's been de rigeur for only 100+ years to use 1st name/call-signs, thus: Karol VE7KFM.

...then he will go on a tirade of how he wants a specific American killed....
Evidence, Again??

Don't be shy now: Who was this "specific American" that he supposedly wanted 'snuffed' (reasons therefor would also be nice)? The traditional 1st name/call-sign SVP, plus an audio clip (preferably UN-doctored), as evidence w/i sufficient context of course....

Otherwise, RUN, don't walk to your nearest attorney....

...how can this guy do this for years on end with no worry of prosecution? I could go on and on about 14.275 but a simple search using Google will provide all the information one would need to see what I mean.
Evidence, Again, AGAIN???

You obviously get your so-called HF monitoring info. 2nd/3rd/4th hand from not only anonymous but also fundamentally single-sourced websites on the WWW. Having said that, the germ of an answer is imbedded in your question: either IC, which is located less than 2 mi. from VE7KFM has been incredibly lax "for years", or there is something seriously wrong with your sources and/or with your "central processor"....

But, for our purposes "joe disco electronics" probably said it most succinctly/best: "Until you get a license, you really have nothing to say about the hobby."

Last edited:

viking396

joe_disco_electronics said:
Until you get a license, you really have nothing to say about the hobby. This is the same as you complaining about the way people drive, yet only being a "backseat" driver.
A back seat driver doesn't buy the car, if he/she did they would have every right to complain but then it's not legal to buy a car without a license.

It is however very legal to buy a Ham Radio without one, not a scanner mind you, a transceiver. Since I paid for the thing, if I hear people abusing it I have every right to complain.

EDIT, no diss-respect meant Joe, just my opinion.

Last edited:

zz0468

CDN - I'm morbidly fascinated by your repeated defense of VE7KFM - it's all you've ever posted about. I'm not intending to argue, but I am curious... what's all this mean to you? I have personally heard someone signing as VE7KFM on 14275 railing against the U.S. and using unquestionably foul language. So, in my personal observation, that would qualify as acceptable evidence TO ME. Not proof, mind you, but evidence. And I do recognize that my anecdotal statements of what I claim to have heard are useless as evidence for you, so let's not go there. I'm just curious why you feel so strongly defending him. It's unusual enough that it stands out.

viking396

CDN,
Wow, you really do scour the Internet for anything somebody says about VE7KFM so I’ll tell you what. Here are some suspicions, just suspicions mind you so don’t get all “run don’t walk to your nearest lawyer” on me. Why do I say that, because one VE7KFM has a tendency to use language just like that, verbatim even so makes one suspicious to who CDN might really be, ya thnk?

You love to grind that axe, but hey, you have time to kill, I get that. As for running to a lawyer, for what exactly? Do you honestly think you or VE7KFM worry me or anybody else for that matter, my cat left something on the floor more worrisome than you or he could ever be. As for my lawyer, the laughter that would erupt from him would scare his assistants I’m sure, but you want to provide the laugh, I’ll give you his number, he likes funny people, even crazy ones.

My response to you is this, read it slowly because you have a tendency also to be very single minded in your way of responding to people. I’m not going to get into a long drawn out debate with you because that would be a waste of time I don’t have and you’re simply not worth it.

Joe is partly right, while I don’t agree with him, I don’t have a license yet BUT, when people speak on the air as VE7KFM does its ones responsibility to report it. Calling for a person to be “taken out” and then offering a donation to Al Queada is a threat in every country save a few. I also have very clear recordings that I made when VE7KFM was on the air, he also gave the time, his name, call sign and date, maybe instead of complaining about me complaining he should try some restraint. Also, this “hobby” doesn’t require a license to buy a Ham Radio so neither Joe or you has the right to dictate what my rights are. BUT rest assured the first week in May when I take the Tech and then right after the General, I will be licensed so the point will be moot.

As to pointing people to do an online research and so on, who cares, that’s VE7KFM’s issue, not mine and it isn’t illegal to point this out to others. Also, since VE7KFM posts his name very clearly online maybe he should slap himself for doing so instead of telling others not to post his name, apology puhleaze you have to be kidding.

As for my so-called monitoring, when VE7KFM cranks up the wattage so high I can hear him like he’s outside my door, the antenna point is moot. He very clearly stated he was going to turn the wattage up to beyond 2 Kilowatts to insure he is heard.

Maybe instead of complaining about me you discuss with VE7KFM his tactics, the sheer volume of complaints says something, and good Ham Radio Operating on VE7KFM’s part isn’t it. Last, evidence, is this a court room? If the FCC asks me for recordings, I'll gladly give them to them. Since both VE7KFM and I know he said the things I have made claims about he can kiss my rear about providing him anything, except for my cats stool sample she left so nicely on the foyer, I'd be glad to send him that.

73’s indeed.

Last edited:

viking396

zz0468 said:
CDN - I'm morbidly fascinated by your repeated defense of VE7KFM - it's all you've ever posted about. I'm not intending to argue, but I am curious... what's all this mean to you? I have personally heard someone signing as VE7KFM on 14275 railing against the U.S. and using unquestionably foul language. So, in my personal observation, that would qualify as acceptable evidence TO ME. Not proof, mind you, but evidence. And I do recognize that my anecdotal statements of what I claim to have heard are useless as evidence for you, so let's not go there. I'm just curious why you feel so strongly defending him. It's unusual enough that it stands out.
When the only postings are to defend somebody and his language is nearly verbatim to what he puts on his website you'd think he would at least use all those diplomas and degrees he claims to have and not be so obvious. Hint CDN, change up the language or just go by your real name, it's not fooling anybody..... no really, it's not.

73's zz0468,

This thread has gone OT so perhaps it's time to kill it or lock it or bury it.... I'll save anymore complaints for when I have my license, regarding 80 meters anyway. ;) If the same thing happens again on 20 I guess I'll just record it and it will be up to VE7KFM whats said on it and either the FCC or the Canadien Gov't to request them. I have about 9 Terrabytes of storage to waste... good night all.

CDN

VE7KFM Duplicate Account
Banned
Forgive him Lord, for he knows not what he does....

viking396 said:
Exsmokey,
This is a lofty goal but I have set my mind to it, I suffered some brain damage (long story!!) years ago and it has affected my ability to remember....
Don't push your luck, Erik.

viking396

Forgive me lord, I responded to a loon

CDN said:
Don't push your luck, Erik.

The issue I have doesn't make me stupid, slow witted or incapable of handling you so save the advice (or threat) for yourself.

But thanks for spelling my name right.

Last edited:

viking396

KevinGC said:
For what it's woth, in the Columbus Ohio area, I have heard nothing but courteous and nice people on 2M and 70cm.
Agreed, 2meters and 70cm has been good here too, tonight I've heard some great QSO's on 80 as well. Some farmers talking about their work load and such, another couple of guys discussing WWII. A good night for listening.

elk2370bruce

Anytime, in any hobby, interest, or profession, that involves human behavior, you will always find those who are obvious miscreants, jerks, or fools. The larger the group, the greater depth and breadth of stupidity, maladjustment, or wise guys there will be. Damn near all of the amateur radio operators I speak with are great people, helpful to newbies, and do their best to keep the malcontents in line. The smal majority that you speak about in your original thread probably still kick the cat, write obscene phrases on bathroom walls, and are not representive of most people in the hobby. Forget those guys that you reference that hang out on 75 meters. Most have nine toes, did not have to change the monagram on their towels when they married at 15, and are on the social evolutionary scale as unicelular fresh water algae. The coo-koos on 14.275 are a remarkably small group who spend more time venting their anger against our Canadian brother operator who just eggs them on and laughs his butt off. How about the great ops on 14.300 who run the marine net? What about the Central American net who are there for emergency medical airlifts and physician advice? How about the many who handle radio traffic for soldiers/sailors overseas? (and the list goes on, and on, and on). Why don't you listen some more to the bands, letting your fingers do the walking around the jerks (that's what that big black knob is for), and come back with a better balance to your somewhat limited set of observations before espousing this all-encompassing theorum of amateur radio. You do youself, and the majority of the good amateur radio operators, unnecessary insult and harm. It might be this lack of experience and set of pre-conceived notions that is why people may not be reading your blogs.
We see enough of this carping and whining on that other website so why bring it here?

Last edited:

viking396

elk2370bruce said:
Anytime, in any hobby, interest, or profession, that involves human behavior, you will always find those who are obvious miscreants, jerks, or fools. The larger the group, the greater depth and breadth of stupidity, maladjustment, or wise guys there will be. Damn near all of the amateur radio operators I speak with are great people, helpful to newbies, and do their best to keep the malcontents in line. The smal majority that you speak about in your original thread probably still kick the cat, write obscene phrases on bathroom walls, and are not representive of most people in the hobby. Forget those guys that you reference that hang out on 75 meters. Most have nine toes, did not have to change the monagram on their towels when they married at 15, and are on the social evolutionary scale as unicelular fresh water algae. The coo-koos on 14.275 are a remarkably small group who spend more time venting their anger against our Canadian brother operator who just eggs them on and laughs his butt off. How about the great ops on 14.300 who run the marine net? What about the Central American net who are there for emergency medical airlifts and physician advice? How about the many who handle radio traffic for soldiers/sailors overseas? (and the list goes on, and on, and on). Why don't you listen some more to the bands, letting your fingers do the walking around the jerks (that's what that big black knob is for), and come back with a better balance to your somewhat limited set of observations before espousing this all-encompassing theorum of amateur radio. You do youself, and the majority of the good amateur radio operators, unnecessary insult and harm. It might be this lack of experience and set of pre-conceived notions that is why people may not be reading your blogs.
We see enough of this carping and whining on that other website so why bring it here?

Thank you for not reading much of what I had to say, or understanding nothing of what little you might have read. I guess you lack the ability to not click posts you don't like or maybe it's just ok for you to vent on something that bothers you, but it's not ok for me.

This is a forum, why bring it here? Because it’s a forum for Ham Radio, nobody forced you to click this thread or respond to it and I have every right to vent about anything I choose be it Ham Radio or what have you, you have the right to not like it.

elk2370bruce said:
Four bucks a gallon for gas. Unemployment rising. The dollar's value shrinking.
Why did you bring that up on this forum? There are other places to whine and complain… you could see it on a number of websites. Actually, I agree with you posting about that or anything else you post in a forum dedicated to voicing an opinion and should you voice anything else that I might not post I won’t call you to the mat on it, we may disagree but I’ll never tell you how to post.

I think as time goes on or maybe you might even read the parts where I have talked about the positive I have heard and you might form a different opinion, if not we’ll agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.