My Current Setup-

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImTheWeasel

Here is my current setup. I built the antenna about a month ago now, and it works great. Made a big difference in reception for local PD/Fire/EMS traffic, and aircraft is extremely clear. I am in an apartment now, and outdoor antenna's of any kind are prohibited. So I decided to build this antenna to improve my local reception. In the picture the antenna looks to be hanging crooked, but it actually isn't. Not sure why it appears that way!?!

Equipment:
Uniden BCT-8
Yaesu VR-500
Yaesu IC-T7H

:)

Attachments

• My_Radios.jpg
    My_Radios.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,520
  • Homebrew_VGP.jpg
    Homebrew_VGP.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,212

af5rn

Very cool. Can you give us specs for that antenna, and maybe a link to the plans? What bands does it seem to be performing best and worst at? What kind of distances are you hearing?

ImTheWeasel

Sure!

I got the plans/idea from here- http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html
Here is a link to an image of the same design- http://www.mncarg.org/projects/2_70gp.jpg
Also used this to double check the plans-http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagpcalc.html

I followed the instructions for 146mhz as detailed in the link.

Also, on the design:

I have seen a few variations of this "Quarter-Wave Ground Plane". One of which used the small loop/eyelet crimp connectors for electrical wire soldered onto the ends of the radials and then the screw placed through the eyelet of the crimp connector to attach it to the SO-239 mount. Which might be easier for some then bending hoops into one end of the 4 radials themselves and putting the bolt through as such. I used a few 4ft pieces of solid metal rod to make mine, however you can use thick copper wire, or even coat hangers. In any event, if it will be used outside, some means will have to be given to protect it from the weather.

So far as reception:

As I stated the aircraft receive is great. I primarily hear traffic on 125.825 which is the Kansas City ARTCC ZKC Sector. I have heard a couple flights come over and state they were over the Wichita, KS area, but i've read (not sure how true it is ) that hearing flights that are 200+ miles out is not uncommon.

However when I built this antenna I was not looking for greater receive on the air band. Primarily I was looking for something to increase my reception of local frequencies.

I can say that I hear the Osage County Sherrif's Office Dispatch very clearly, and it is located in Pawhuska, OK. It is roughly 25+ miles from me.

I also can receive Montgomery County in KS. I can hear Caney, Coffeyville and Independence quite well, Caney is about 20 miles from me, with Coffeyville being around 40+, and Independence around 50+. Those distances are guesstimates at best. Im not exactly sure what the distances are. ;-)

I can also listen to Tulsa, and Owasso on 800mhz. Some days though, I can't receive them at all. Which both are around 45-50+ miles from me.

It seems to receive well all across the board, at least from what I can tell. Just an all around great antenna! Since I dont have my ham ticket yet, I had a buddy of mine who does try it out for transmit and he was able to work our local 2m repeater (W5NS), and our local 440 repeater (W5IAS) with excellent results.

Just this evening I was monitoring 137.620 for the NOAA Sat to come over and used the wxtoimg software to get an image. Did this after reading on it here on RR.com forums. Once everything was setup and the sat came over, it worked very well!

I'm really glad I decided to go ahead and build this antenna as it has increased my reception ten-fold over the Comet antenna (CH-722Sa) I was using!

So I believe it to be an all around great antenna for receive/transmit. :D

Last edited:

N8IAA

It's the angle of the camera shot. I love homemade groundplanes. They can be cut for any frequency and harmonics there of:))

By the way, I have a cup filled with similar stuff.
Larry

Last edited:

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
man that's so cool I bet you have change for an ice cube - sha GRIN :D

That antenna is "wicked" - thanks for the info !!!

ImTheWeasel

Lol, I'm glad that you all like it! :cool:

I'm really happy with the results I've got from this antenna. It was very simple to build, and everything I needed I had readily available.

If anyone else builds one like this, i'd love to see pics and read about how it works out for you!

Thanks Everyone!

EncryptionMan

Nice appartment setup. They do have covert outdoor antennas available if you feel having something outside would be a better option but those are for specific bands and in your situation that would probably be of no use to you.

Nice work on the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.