• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My First CB Base Station: Bucks County, PA 19047

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrfeeney

BIG BUX Bucks County, PA 19047
  • UNIDEN 980SSB Radio & Mic;
  • MegaWatt S-400-12 36 Amp Power Supply;
  • Driver's Product DPSWR2 External SWR Meter;
  • Midland 21-406 External Speaker;
  • RADIOWAVZ CB Double Bazooka Dipole Antenna;
  • Homemade PVC Pipe Antenna Mount; Outdoors outside 3rd Floor Window; Vertical Orientation
Photos: https://imgur.com/a/fgp1M

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Didn't have a chance to check the rest of your photos; but where you have the antenna in the kitchen!!!! lol
What does the XYL say about it?!?!
The one thing to always remember is:
SAFETY.
If you have a question about something, ASK. Most of us will try to help you get it right and safe.

prcguy

My first CB base station in around 1972 was a 1.5W Radio Shack TRC-35C walki talki running off an external power supply boosting the voltage for more power and a Shure 545 mic attached. I forget what antenna at the time but it was probably a home made 1/4 wave ground plane.
prcguy

davidrfeeney

Didn't have a chance to check the rest of your photos; but where you have the antenna in the kitchen!!!! lol
What does the XYL say about it?!?!
The one thing to always remember is:
SAFETY.
If you have a question about something, ASK. Most of us will try to help you get it right and safe.
LOL I built the mount in my living room... wife is a patient woman!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

davidrfeeney

My first CB base station in around 1972 was a 1.5W Radio Shack TRC-35C walki talki running off an external power supply boosting the voltage for more power and a Shure 545 mic attached. I forget what antenna at the time but it was probably a home made 1/4 wave ground plane.
prcguy
Cool. My mom and dad had police scanner and cb base station in the 70s... I remember keying up as a kid. And SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT was my mom's favorite movie LOL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rbomba

Premium Subscriber
  • Homemade PVC Pipe Antenna Mount; Outdoors outside 3rd Floor Window; Vertical Orientation

Nice set up. How's that antenna working for you? Any issues?

rbomba

Premium Subscriber
Cool. I know a guy in PA that works on the 980's, he and another guy have engineered boards that expand the radio, if u want his email address, PM me.

I just got one back and it's great

Last edited:

TheSpaceMann

Cool. I know a guy in PA that works on the 980's, he and another guy have engineered boards that expand the radio, if u want his email address, PM me.

I just got one back and it's great
Is that the new channels expansion board?

davidrfeeney

Had a 2 hour conversation with a local 12 miles out, with my dipole antenna mounted indoors. WD40 in Holland, PA said I had strong signal and good voice quality.

Also heard some skip from Maryland. Hooray!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

FiveFilter

Well Dave, holding a 2 hour conversation with a guy 12 miles away with a dipole mounted indoors using 4 watts AM and getting reports of a strong signal and good voice, I'd say you got yourself a great set-up! Congratulations to you!

davidrfeeney

Well Dave, holding a 2 hour conversation with a guy 12 miles away with a dipole mounted indoors using 4 watts AM and getting reports of a strong signal and good voice, I'd say you got yourself a great set-up! Congratulations to you!

Thanks, that's super helpful to a newbie. :)

It might be 5 watts? Anyway, it is dead stock with no amplification.

I am hoping the PVC pipe mount through my 3rd floor window will increase performance. If the mount/window setup works like I want it to, I should be able to rotate the entire dipole antenna from vertical to horizontal from inside. I read that horizonal orientation is better for long range TX? aka SKIP?

Anyway, thanks a lot. David

prcguy

Rotating your dipole from vertical to horizontal may or may not make a change in level from skip signals, they get randomly polarized bouncing off the ionosphere. What it will do is reduce interference from locals who are mostly running vertical and allow you to hear the skip signals a little better.

You can also rotate the horizontal antenna in azimuth and null out interfering signals and peak up on the skip stations. If you can find the guy 12mi away that you had the conversation with he could let you know how much things change going from inside the house to outside, going vertical to horizontal, etc.
prcguy

Thanks, that's super helpful to a newbie. :)

It might be 5 watts? Anyway, it is dead stock with no amplification.

I am hoping the PVC pipe mount through my 3rd floor window will increase performance. If the mount/window setup works like I want it to, I should be able to rotate the entire dipole antenna from vertical to horizontal from inside. I read that horizonal orientation is better for long range TX? aka SKIP?

Anyway, thanks a lot. David

Status
Not open for further replies.