My First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodmore

I have been reading this forum trying to learn. I think I'll be at that for quite some time. I picked up a 536 from the big A dot com. Problem is that it has the headphone hiss problem. It was a problem about two years ago according to this forum. I hate to use my first post to be a complainer, but this was a significant purchase for me. I would mail the scanner back to A.com for a new one, but I invested in the DMR upgrade. So I don't want to lose the 50.00. That is why I feel my post is relevant here. Buying new and waiting for a repair turnaround just seems a little off. But I do have a question about how to handle it with Uniden on their site. I hope to hear from them early this week. Great forum and a great scanner. Learning helps me keep the Winter blues away.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I moved your post to its own thread for better visibility.

cmdrwill

There was something posted here about turning off the AGC to reduce the hiss in the audio.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What is the serial number of your scanner (with the hiss). I'd be extremely surprised to find that a unit purchased new, recently, was one of the first-production units. It could happen, but would be surprising.

What headphones are you using with the scanner? If you use high-impedance headphones (>32 Ohm), you will get hiss on any unit.

Ubbe

Using headphones that have too much sensitivity will produce hiss. One solution is to use an extension cable that have a volume control, usually it will also have a stereo/mono switch. Reduce the cables volume until hiss is gone and adjust scanners volume to desirable level.

There is a lot of these cable around so there is no problem getting one.

OE 3.5mm M/F 1M Stereo Headphone Audio Extension Cord Cable with Volume Control | eBay

/Ubbe

goodmore

OK. I spent the last day listening to the 536 through a cheaper pair of headphones. It sounds much better. Thanks to those that helped resolve this issue for me. Upman it is just cool in my book to even have you respond to my post. But for the record the hissing headphones do sound great on a 436. I guess What I learned is the two models are indeed different. Again thanks to all and the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.