My First "Scanner" - Back In Time Vintage VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerNuts

Okay Folks,

For you old-timers perhaps these images will bring back some memories . . .

And for you young folks, well you might be amazed and glad you are young.

Anyway, after reading this message area about posting images of your shack, I recalled that I still had my first "scanner" in the back of a drawer here in the shack. I purchased this "scanner" in about 1969, I don't even wanna know how many years have passed!

Anyway, I say "scanner" because this was before scanners were readily available. I was in heaven when I bought this unit because it was the fancy one made at the time. This one featured two channels, (two crystal sockets) the other model only had one channel! Of course this wasn't really a scanner, nor was it really a receiver - it was a VHF converter that required an AM radio placed with it to allow you to listen to anything.

Well, since this is my first time posting in the picture area, and I don't see any other vintage stuff, I'll be interested if anyone remembers these units. And if there is further interest, I will be glad to pass along a little more information about the Little Tiger. By the way, this unit still works! How's that for a track record?

And before you ask, NO, the 2008-quarter did not come with the unit. I placed it in the image to offer a size comparison.

How did I get by with two channels? Currently I have 998 more that that and don't have enough! Ah, those were the days . . .

Attachments

• t-01.jpg
    t-01.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 4,330
  • t-02.jpg
    t-02.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 4,338
  • t-03.jpg
    t-03.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 5,096
  • t-04.jpg
    t-04.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 4,316
  • t-05.jpg
    t-05.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 4,072

ScannerNuts

Why yes!

Well, at least two rocks, as you can see them in the third and fourth image.

Of course rock being the slang term for crystal.

Yes, it is an oldie - I guess that means, so am I! I bought it with money I made from my paper route, which was in the days that papers were delivered by kids.

trace1

Very cool!!!

"Electra" as in "Bearcat Electra" as in "Uniden Bearcat" as in "Uniden". Even better!

I've got a Bearcat Electra III and IV that I love to play with. (Not from my good old days, but sure reminds me of them.)

And speaking of "old" radios, I also have a WWII era US Army Signal Corps Radio Receiver (Shortwave). Man I love to turn that thing on and see those old tubes just a glowing. :)

N8IAA

I presently own a Lafayette PF200A Lo/Hi band VHF tunable plus two xtals per band for fixed frequency listening. Got a Fanon Courier Scanfare VHF 4 channel and a 4 channel RCA UHF model # 16S200 at gagrage sales. All work. My first monitoring radio was either a Lafayette, or, Hallicrafters 2 channel lo-band xtal receiver that was used to monitor Cleve, OH 39Mhz FD and PD frequencies back in 1969-70.
Larry

Oh, /\/\ike, the 2 channel was powered by rubbing sticks together;))

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I wish I would have kept my old Regency and Bearcat... those two were my very first scanners. The Regency was given to me by my grandfather who used it in his police car in the 60's and the Bearcat was a gift given to my mother from my father when he joined the fire department way back in the 70's.

I must ask, what were the two frequencies you listened to at first? One for local police and one for local fire?

N8IAA

I must ask, what were the two frequencies you listened to at first? One for local police and one for local fire?

If you were asking me. I believe FD was on 33.72, or, 33.9 and PD was either 39.54, or 39.58. Had to dig out an old Police Call book to check:) It was for the City of Cleveland.
Larry

Thayne

I had one of those, used to use it with a transistor radio attached with rubber bands in 1969. I listened to Denver on 159.21 & 159.06 as I remember. I used it while riding my motorcycle (BSA Lightning) but the ignition noise got into it and the AM radio would drift some with temp. You had to be right on because it used slope detection which worked after a fashion.

tekshogun

You know you have a Gem of the Old School when it says "VHF Converter" on the casing but I understand that it was designed to go with an AM radio. I bet that thing still works too.

ewg

Electra "Little Tiger"

I have one of these (actually just listed it on e-Bay) and was wondering if you could tell me what type of batteries it uses? Thanks. egruner@rochester.rr.com

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My question is can anyone even find crystals any more? I had several 8 and 16 channel regencies and RS scanners back in the early 70's very cool thanks for sharing and making me feel old

Warthog1

Silent Key
Some oldies

Thought you would get a charge out of these.
Jolly Roger did AM Radio and had slots for two crystals
Aircraft scanner was Air Band only
Police Monitor ??...no Idea... don't even know the band.

From my oldies collection

Attachments

• oldies.jpg
    oldies.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5,191
Last edited:

knightrider

Not only do I remember the converter, but I grew up near Cumberland!!! Now, some 30 years later I am 1200 miles away in Texas (Thanks Uncle Sam). I thought at first a time traveler had gone back, placed the quarter there, and then returned to 2008 ;-) Those were good times, and much was done to make today what it is. I do miss a lot of the times we had then, but I really enjoy the conveniences we have now.
Knightrider
P.S.
I was sent here in 1971, and returned to Indy in 1973 after touring the World at "Uncle's" expense. I later decided to return to a much warmer climate.

n5ims

My question is can anyone even find crystals any more? I had several 8 and 16 channel regencies and RS scanners back in the early 70's very cool thanks for sharing and making me feel old

Check to see if these folks have what you want Scanner Crystals | Bearcat Regency Police Fire EMS Radio Scanner Crystal

If not, you might try these folks Quartz crystals from International Crystal although you may need to specify the right technical details on the crystals if they don't already have them in their database.

jay2101

Little Tiger

I have a old little tiger can you change the crystal in it some of the fire dep't. still have VHF radio and I could get them if I can change the crystal
Thanks Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.