My mobile setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimAckley

Premium Subscriber
I've got a Radio Shack PRO-197 scanner and a Galaxy DX-959 CB mounted up in my '04 Yukon XL 2500. I have a 108" whip in the back for my CB, soon to be replaced by a roof mount Wilson 5000, and a mag-mount scanner antenna from Radio Shack, not installed at the time I took the exterior pictures, which will probably get replaced by another antenna on an L-bracket mounted on the lip of my hood opening

BFGAT2.jpg

BFGAT1.jpg

555d6f02.jpg

932b6333.jpg

phoenix

My moblie setup

Nice looking vehicle.....I like where you have your scanner installed, but, I hope the CB installed under your dash doesn't become part of your anatomy if (G_D forbid) you need to stop short.

JimAckley

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the compliments guys!

I thought about the CB's location a lot before mounting it. I had setups that put it in the console, setups that put it on the passenger side, on the dash... all over really, but when i did my mockup in its current location, it actually sits a good ways away from you (mind you, this is a GMC Yukon not a GEO Tracker). I made sure physical contact wouldn't be an issue whatsoever. Also, due to a course of events throughout life, I'm pretty strict about always having my belt on, so I don't even move on short stops (trust me I've had to make a few serious ones). And with as much momentum as a Yukon XL 2500 carries, if I hit something solid enough to send the dash into me or vice versa, my last worry is my CB hurting my knee. I've got a slew of plans to make a remote-mounted CB and obtain my ham license with a remote-mounted ham rig rig as well. It probably won't sit under my dash but for maybe another year.

I forgot to take pictures of it, but there's also a Radio Shack amplified speaker mounted under the driver's seat that the scanner runs through. I'd honestly like to mount it where the CB is once I get the CB moved, so I can hear it @ highway speeds with my windows down. I hate driving with the windows up.

I've also got a slew of performance upgrades in the near-future, including new differentials, Ranch Hand front and rear bumper replacements, some minor upgrades to the 4L80E, and a small lift (probably 4"). Long term includes swapping in a Duramax, rear (and possibly front) Eaton locker, and taking the 496 from the Yukon and putting it in a single cab short bed Sierra 1500. That's all a ways away though, so who knows what will happen. The only definite one is the Duramax. I love my 496, but the diesel is just so much more efficient and powerful (650 lbs/ft vs 450 lbs/ft).

JimAckley

Premium Subscriber
I've had it for months now and still haven't touched it except for with my hand when I'm using it, so I still don't quite get how it's a knee-banger. It's really not that close to me.

492ecbf9.jpg

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
You may also want to put a tennis ball on your antenna about 1/3 of the way up so when the whip comes back it doesn't whack the body!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Cool

Speaking of COOL! 60 Degrees and 107.1 FM lol 107.1 is JACK FM here in Evansville, IN:lol: Seriously, who does 60 Degree on the A/C?

JimAckley

Premium Subscriber
The spring actually tilts the whip slightly away from my truck so it's only hit the body twice in all the time I've had it. It honestly doesn't really matter since I'm getting Wilson 5k roof mount in a short while. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with my whip at that point haha.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Jim... clean your Yuklon already ;-) I still wish you let me drill a hole in the roof!

Status
Not open for further replies.