My modest beginner's shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKLdiy88

Since I am fairly new to ham radio this is both my first AND current shack set-up
Ham shack_20220319.jpg
Now it is not set up at the moment in actual use mode, but I have a Yaesu FT-60R, also got an extra battery for it, as well as the battery holder to be able to use Alkaline AA batteries as a back up if needed. I also recently got a Tram-1185 magnetic antenna and cookie sheet to increase the HT's ability as a base station at home, and occasionally I might use it in the car also. (ALSO: on the right side is my C Crane CC Skywave shortwave receiver.)

Now there are no repeaters listed as being located within the county limits of the county we live in, but even before I got the magnetic antenna I had picked up conversations between hams where at least one of them seemed to be in another state, so I am assuming I was picking up a repeater from outside our county limits. I'll have to see if I can identify that repeater and program it into my HT to see if it is within reach to transmit to or if I can only receive from it.

Now I realize it is a modest beginning and I am very okay with that, being retired and having a limited budget for hobby stuff I have learned to be content with and enjoy what I can get at the moment and be patient until I can later take a step up to a somewhat more powerful system like a mobile unit like as used in cars but some also use them in their homes as a base station. (In recent months I spent most of the hobby money I had saved up :rolleyes: and need to wait a while :D)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's a good start. That'll get you 90% of what you need right there.

Some repeaters are linked into systems, so hearing someone from out of state isn't out of the ordinary.

If you post what city/state you are in, someone might be able to help you find a local repeater. Most of the online repeater guides are not the most accurate sources of info.

GKLdiy88

That's a good start. That'll get you 90% of what you need right there.

Some repeaters are linked into systems, so hearing someone from out of state isn't out of the ordinary.

If you post what city/state you are in, someone might be able to help you find a local repeater. Most of the online repeater guides are not the most accurate sources of info.

Thanks !!!!

The county I live in has a lot of semi-rural areas and not extremely populated so it would not surprise me if there are indeed no repeaters within the county limits. Anyhow I live in Fairfield county in South Carolina. The repeater I heard might be not too far over the county line, I wrote down the frequency I was listening to when I heard those conservations, but I probably need to listen again to see if I can hear the repeater ID clear enough to find more info about it.

Last edited:

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I also recently got a Tram-1185 magnetic antenna and cookie sheet to increase the HT's ability as a base station at home

Looks like you are well on your way. When I was licensed back in the 90s, I too started with nothing more than an HT and a mag mount.

A suggestion for your antenna however...I'd look at getting an NMO magnet mount antenna and a half-wave antenna for VHF and/or UHF when considering your significantly compromised ground plane arrangement. By using a half wave, you eliminate the need for a ground plane and then will realize some gain when the antenna does have a suitable ground plane under it. I'm assuming you'll immediately see some improvement in reception as well.

Suggestions include, but are not limited to:

This mag mount has an FME connector on the end that allows for quick interchange of various adapters so you can hook up different types of radios to the same mount and use them interchangeably.

Larsen NMOMMRFME

VHF antennas:

Laird Connectivity BB1442NR

Laird Connectivity BB1442N

UHF antenna:

EM Wave EM-M10003-GPI-LS

PACNWDude

Similar to what I started with many years ago, except being current model hardware. I started with a Heathkit AM receiver kit I had to solder together and an Alinco 2 meter handheld that ran on AA batteries.

The good thing about getting started, is that you learn your equipment. I caution people that buy a bunch of gear, never read the manual and then end up listing the radio equipment for sale, when it could be a great hobby, lifesaving tool, or at least entertainment. Great set up there, and I have gone on to many Yaesu radios, but some of the current model are very capable and at a much lower cost than their equivalents, even a decade ago.

Thank you for posting. (Fast forward decades later, I still use baking sheets as ground planes for antennas....that is not a problem at all.)

GKLdiy88

Looks like you are well on your way. When I was licensed back in the 90s, I too started with nothing more than an HT and a mag mount.

A suggestion for your antenna however...I'd look at getting an NMO magnet mount antenna and a half-wave antenna for VHF and/or UHF when considering your significantly compromised ground plane arrangement. By using a half wave, you eliminate the need for a ground plane and then will realize some gain when the antenna does have a suitable ground plane under it. I'm assuming you'll immediately see some improvement in reception as well.

Suggestions include, but are not limited to:

This mag mount has an FME connector on the end that allows for quick interchange of various adapters so you can hook up different types of radios to the same mount and use them interchangeably.

Larsen NMOMMRFME

VHF antennas:

Laird Connectivity BB1442NR

Laird Connectivity BB1442N

UHF antenna:

Thanks, sounds like a fair amount of people seem to start out with an HT ! :)

Also thanks for all the info ! I bookmarked this thread for later reference as I am not ready just yet to buy more stuff, but understand that there is usually always room for improvement and fine-tuning !

You will also see a difference if f you can place your antenna outside and as high as possible. Enjoy!

Thanks, While I have gotten amazingly good reception from inside the house (and with the stock antenna) it will indeed be interesting to see the improvement with the antenna being outside and up higher. (right now I still need to do more studying on using my HT and determining what frequencies to program into it :unsure: )

Similar to what I started with many years ago, except being current model hardware. I started with a Heathkit AM receiver kit I had to solder together and an Alinco 2 meter handheld that ran on AA batteries.

The good thing about getting started, is that you learn your equipment. I caution people that buy a bunch of gear, never read the manual and then end up listing the radio equipment for sale, when it could be a great hobby, lifesaving tool, or at least entertainment. Great set up there, and I have gone on to many Yaesu radios, but some of the current model are very capable and at a much lower cost than their equivalents, even a decade ago.

Thank you for posting. (Fast forward decades later, I still use baking sheets as ground planes for antennas....that is not a problem at all.)

Thanks, and I agree that learning the equipment and reading the manual is much needed, this is one of those things where you can't simply "wing it" and expect to have the best results. ......and yes, I am still very much in the learning mode with my HT and still have quite a bit of studying to do in between getting my chores and projects done :LOL: but I have learned to try to be patient and learn things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.