My New Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Hello
Finally got my Tower #2 up in the air thought I would share some photos with you all, I am still in the process in getting the grounding of the coax and tower complete..

30 feet of American Tower (free from craigslist)
Solarcon A-99 Vertical 10/11 Meter
DPD Productions TrainTenna Vertical
Jetstream JTB4 6/2/440 Omni Vertical
Kathrein Scala TY-900 Yagi
Channel Master Rotator

Everything is fed with LMR-400 coax.

Attachments

• Tower#2small 004.jpg
    Tower#2small 004.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,793
  • Tower#2 small007.jpg
    Tower#2 small007.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,639
  • Tower#2 small010.jpg
    Tower#2 small010.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,752

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-117-15) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yes that one is on my garage.

Bob_61

Very nice! It looks like an antenna friendly neighborhood!! In your avatar who's go-cart is that ? :lol:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Dan,

How about letting us know what you have on the tower in the background :)

The new tower looks like a nice clean install.

Mike

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Wow, that is very, very nice work and great collection of equipment! I checked out the QRZ web page of yours and love the equipment photos - you got it going on Mister!!!

Mike

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Dan,

How about letting us know what you have on the tower in the background

Hello Mike,

The other tower contains,

30 feet (9.144 meters) of Rohn 25G
Yaesu G-800SA Rotator
Hy-Gain TH-3JRS 10-15-20 Meter Beam
102' G5RV True-Talk inverted V Dipole for 6-160 Meters
Cushcraft 13B2 Boomer 2 Meter SSB
Blue Star 4 Element 6 Meter SSB Beam
Scantenna x2 VHF/UHF 800Mhz
Radio Shack 20-176

I am going to add another 3 sections to it next summer.

Attachments

• Tower#2small 014.jpg
    Tower#2small 014.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,286
Last edited:

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
That's a super looking tower ! Well done.
Did u install it yourself, or hire it out ???

I did the install myself just had a few friends over to raise it up, both of the towers tilt over so I can do the work on the ground.

N5TWB

Hello Mike,

The other tower contains,

30 feet (9.144 meters) of Rohn 25G
Yaesu G-800SA Rotator
Hy-Gain TH-3JRS 10-15-20 Meter Beam
102' G5RV True-Talk inverted V Dipole for 6-160 Meters
Cushcraft 13B2 Boomer 2 Meter SSB
Blue Star 4 Element 6 Meter SSB Beam
Scantenna x2 VHF/UHF 800Mhz
Radio Shack 20-176

I am going to add another 3 sections to it next summer.

Even being relatively low, that sounds like quite a wind load for a 25G and I don't see a guy wire one. I'm really not trying to question your install as it is impressive but I also know you can get a bit of snow and ice in MI so I just want to understand the details behind your tower.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Even being relatively low, that sounds like quite a wind load for a 25G and I don't see a guy wire one. I'm really not trying to question your install as it is impressive but I also know you can get a bit of snow and ice in MI so I just want to understand the details behind your tower.

Hello
No problem, the tower is attached to my garage about 12 feet up from the ground, the base is in the ground 4 feet with a base 3 x 3 X 4 feet deep and there is 1 guy wire you can see on the left just to counter the dipole I guess..The tower has been up for 5 years now with no issues at all and my property is mostly open not many trees and will get the full effect of the wind..Had a few 60+ MPH thunder storms this summer no problems as well as ice and snow over the years so far so good..Even if the tower would happen to fall it is far enough from the house not to hit it,no neighbors in the area (3 acres away) if it fell to the west it would land on the garage..It gets inspected every fall just before winter to make sure everything looks good before the snow and ice..

N5TWB

Hello
No problem, the tower is attached to my garage about 12 feet up from the ground, the base is in the ground 4 feet with a base 3 x 3 X 4 feet deep and there is 1 guy wire you can see on the left just to counter the dipole I guess..The tower has been up for 5 years now with no issues at all and my property is mostly open not many trees and will get the full effect of the wind..Had a few 60+ MPH thunder storms this summer no problems as well as ice and snow over the years so far so good..Even if the tower would happen to fall it is far enough from the house not to hit it,no neighbors in the area (3 acres away) if it fell to the west it would land on the garage..It gets inspected every fall just before winter to make sure everything looks good before the snow and ice..

Thanks for the added details -- sounds like you have considered the possibilities and survived several hazards so far.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have the same tower. I also have a A99 i was going to put on top like you did. But noway I could hold that thing up there and try to bolt it to the pipe. How did you get your's up there??

Status
Not open for further replies.