• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

My "Nuclear" Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksroberson

Premium Subscriber
This may not be in the right category, but Admins feel free to move it...

You may or may not remember the days of the Civil Defense "Neighborhood Watchman" or the infomercials on "How to Survive a Nuclear Attack". The cold war lead to governments readying and informing their citizens on what to do before/during/after a nuclear explosion, these "PSAs" showed you everything and even told you how to stock your Fallout Shelter.

So my question...

Why isn't the government making sure we are ready today? I mean, sure I have googled where my nearest Fallout Shelter is, but let me make this clear: I am NOT a prepper, I don't really know what to do if a situation like this happened. With the growing threat from North Korea, it is uncertain what could happen next, I live in Alabama, A state with three Nuclear Power Plants operating in it, I love Nuclear power, its a leading energy source, but I know that makes us a better chance of us becoming a target. The funny thing is, the latest thing I can find about Nuclear Threat Maps that have been generated by the government is a Nuclear Weapon Target Map for Alabama, From FEMA, from September of 1990.

A possible solution???

I Googled "How to survive a nuclear attack" and the latest Top Story is from "The Week Magazine" Published 4 Hours ago, with a headline of "The media is now advising people on how to survive a nuclear attack" I opened it up and it looks like NBC has been tweeting about it before. With this day and age of having 118 Fallout Shelters in Alabama (at least that is what I saw on a link I found of Google My Maps) There are only 3 Shelters in the Birmingham area (Most of the shelters are in Huntsville, only 11 shelters are outside of the Huntsville area...out of 118)

Discussion is obviously welcome, but I think if nobody is going to teach you these plans, teach yourself.

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
It's well know now, if there is a nuclear war, your fall out shelter is useless or at the very least will keep you alive for only a few days. Then you die from all the radiation that's all around you.
Back during the CD days, the nuclear fall out wasn't totally understood as it is today.
I was a fall out shelter trainee back in '61 and remember a lot of that stuff.
There is worry about north korea throwing a nuclear missile our way; but China will not allow them to do that. China knows what would happen to the world should we enter a war of such magnitude. We would start bombing every inch of north korea and any body that is believed to side with them. We know that once the bombs start falling, it's all over and we will take the rest of the world with us.

marksroberson

Premium Subscriber
Apparently, Guam has distributed a two page pamphlet telling inland citizens how to prepare and react in case of a nuclear strike from North Korea, containing things like: "Do not look at the flash or fireball - It can blind you" This sheet's name is "In Case of Emergency - Preparing for Imminent Missile Threat". Tensions are obviously still high, with North Korea naming Guam as a possible (if possible is the right word) target. The US has also sent bombers and other supplies to the island. We will see what happens, I just saw on the news that a missile could reach the island in 14 minutes and New York in 1 hour

marksroberson

Premium Subscriber

Token

Premium Subscriber
It's well know now, if there is a nuclear war, your fall out shelter is useless or at the very least will keep you alive for only a few days. Then you die from all the radiation that's all around you.
Back during the CD days, the nuclear fall out wasn't totally understood as it is today.
I was a fall out shelter trainee back in '61 and remember a lot of that stuff.
There is worry about north korea throwing a nuclear missile our way; but China will not allow them to do that. China knows what would happen to the world should we enter a war of such magnitude. We would start bombing every inch of north korea and any body that is believed to side with them. We know that once the bombs start falling, it's all over and we will take the rest of the world with us.
Survival (or not surviving) and fallout shelters is not so cut and dried. There are far too many variables, not the least of which is your shelter itself and the size of the conflict.

If you use your average basement or public shelter, yeah, you are hosed. But a prepared location can provide protection and keep you alive for quite a while, maybe long enough to survive.

Yes, in an all-out, world encompassing, nuclear conflict not many people can afford a shelter that will sustain them until open air radiation levels approach survivable levels. And what kind of World would await them is an even larger question. But, in anything more limited than that survival becomes very possible if you are properly prepared.

I think even if North Korea did launch a nuke in our direction (and I don't quite believe they can do so yet, despite what is being said) that our response would be more considered. I don't think we would level every inch of NK.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.