My scanner will not pick-up Emergency traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandrakeman56

Hello, I have a Realistic Pro-2011 programmable scanner that I have had for several years now. The problem is, I finally brought it out, after it's been sitting for a couple of years getting dusty and turned it on and reprogrammed it, since the codes disappeared after sitting turned off for a couple of years! But, after I programmed a couple of channels, it would not pick up any traffic? So, I put in the weather channel, just to see if that would pick-up? That picked up just fine!? So, I went on my laptop and went to a website that picks up scanner traffic. All of a sudden, I started picking up emergency traffic just fine, but my Realistic scanner was silent!
So, I put on a different antenna and made sure that the frequency channels were correct? They were! It's just won't pick-up emergency traffic!?
So, I would like to know, if anyone knows why my old scanner will pick-up the weather channel, but not emergency traffic? Thank you.

Danny37

Hello, I have a Realistic Pro-2011 programmable scanner that I have had for several years now. The problem is, I finally brought it out, after it's been sitting for a couple of years getting dusty and turned it on and reprogrammed it, since the codes disappeared after sitting turned off for a couple of years! But, after I programmed a couple of channels, it would not pick up any traffic? So, I put in the weather channel, just to see if that would pick-up? That picked up just fine!? So, I went on my laptop and went to a website that picks up scanner traffic. All of a sudden, I started picking up emergency traffic just fine, but my Realistic scanner was silent!
So, I put on a different antenna and made sure that the frequency channels were correct? They were! It's just won't pick-up emergency traffic!?
So, I would like to know, if anyone knows why my old scanner will pick-up the weather channel, but not emergency traffic? Thank you.

A lot could happen in a couple of years. Did you check the database and verify the frequencies you used to listen to are the same? Agencies could've moved to a digital system or a different band and even gone encrypted.

It would also help to know where your location to see if you need to upgrade to a digital trunking scanner.

w2xq

Mentor
Without knowing where you are, you need to check the Radioreference database and ensure the database listings for your community are compatible with your scanner. Modes or tones may have changed. Your scanner dates to 2008 and receives only FM signals.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Uh, that scanner dates to about 1989!

That really has nothing to do with it. I'm using a Bearcat 220 and 250, both of which date to 1980ish and still work great. It picks up the weather, so it isn't deaf-so unless they've gone digital, I think it's just a matter of finding the correct frequencies. Don't discount something just because it's old.

scanner92us

I wasn't discounting anything. Just pointing out the scanner was older than 2008. Without knowing where the OP is, we can't tell if his scanner will still work. If his area is now p25 it won't work.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have traveled extensively in my line of work, and I have yet to see a radio system in a metropolitan area that has not undergone some kind of extreme change in the last ten years. So many new modes and systems to choose from. Anybody bringing a scanner out of mothballs after a few years is bound to be disappointed. If it's not P25 digital simulcast it's DMR or NXDN or Encrypted or obsolete. You gotta keep up with that tech baby!

JD
kf4anc

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
That scanner would also be pre-narrowbanding, so there's also that to consider. Depending on distance from the transmitter and the specs of the receiver, you might not pick up anything even if the frequencies are the same.

mule1075

Feed Provider
That scanner would also be pre-narrowbanding, so there's also that to consider. Depending on distance from the transmitter and the specs of the receiver, you might not pick up anything even if the frequencies are the same.
It should still receive even if narrow banded. I have a crystal scanner that I got a 151.065 crystal to receive 151.0625 and it works just fine. As does most old programmable scanners.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I have traveled extensively in my line of work, and I have yet to see a radio system in a metropolitan area that has not undergone some kind of extreme change in the last ten years. So many new modes and systems to choose from. Anybody bringing a scanner out of mothballs after a few years is bound to be disappointed. If it's not P25 digital simulcast it's DMR or NXDN or Encrypted or obsolete. You gotta keep up with that tech baby!

JD
kf4anc

Obviously you haven't been to Boston. Same UHF system that has been in place for ages, just narrowbanded with new PL/DPL combos.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Been to Boston more times than I can count. So it has changed to narrow-banded and NEW PL/DPL combos. I would think that falls under the category I mentioned. Changes in modes, etc. So if you had the 'old' uhf frequencies they wouldn't work, I assume, unless you were able to make the changes? What am I missing here. Or is it an age old system that you could follow with a vhf/uhf scanner just as you could ten years ago? I'm sure there are systems like that left, but I am also sure their expiration date is looming. We all know that with technology nothing stays the same.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The scanner the OP mentioned doesn't have PL/DPL capability, so with the exception of possibly having to turn up the volume a little bit, it should work fine in Boston.

w2xq

Mentor
I wasn't discounting anything. Just pointing out the scanner was older than 2008. Without knowing where the OP is, we can't tell if his scanner will still work. If his area is now p25 it won't work.
Whatever page I found using Google's search engine had a 2008 date on it. It really doesn't matter. It is old, and the modes of the service the OP is trying to listen to probably has changed. But, as the OP has not chosen to revisit the thread and answer a few basic questions, this discussion is moot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.