• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

My Tower Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
106
#1
I finally got around to taking a couple pictures of my tower. I have the scantenna mounted off the side with RG-11 running down into a box where i have my lightning surge protectors. Then have Diamond Discone with LMR-400, then the Channel Master Tv Antenna.
 

Attachments

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
7,350
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
#2
I'm guessing you live in a rural area where you can't get cable, or you have satellite TV and want your local stations, or you just like to DX TV stations.

At any rate, sounds like your setup should perform very nicely. Congrats on the nice job.

Mike
 
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
1,206
Location
Hugo , MN
#3
i have a questions for all you folks with towers. How do you get those antennas, and some of them are rather big, up on those towers and mounted?
 
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
106
#5
wogggieee said:
i have a questions for all you folks with towers. How do you get those antennas, and some of them are rather big, up on those towers and mounted?
Very Carefully, have a climbing belt and don't make any bad moves.
Ropes come in very handy, just do as much as you can on the ground, then just a matter of mounting on the pole and connecting your coax.
 
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
106
#6
mtindor said:
I'm guessing you live in a rural area where you can't get cable, or you have satellite TV and want your local stations, or you just like to DX TV stations.

At any rate, sounds like your setup should perform very nicely. Congrats on the nice job.

Mike
I do live in a rural area, just don't watch alot of tv, too busy listening to scanners.
 
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
1,206
Location
Hugo , MN
#7
Chevyman22360 said:
Very Carefully, have a climbing belt and don't make any bad moves.
Ropes come in very handy, just do as much as you can on the ground, then just a matter of mounting on the pole and connecting your coax.
How do you actually get them up to the mounting location on the tower from the ground? Just pull it up with ropes?
 

n9mxq

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
1,599
Location
Belvidere IL
#9
wogggieee said:
How do you actually get them up to the mounting location on the tower from the ground? Just pull it up with ropes?
Some use devices called gin poles, they attach to the side of the tower, have a pulley at the top. The rope goes up the inside of the gin pole, out the top over the pulley. It helps to have a pulley at the base of the tower to help with the workforce redirection.

Friends (bribed with beer and grilled food) pull the ropes while you're strapped securely to the tower awaiting your new aluminum lightning rod to arrive (hopefully) safely at the top where you wrestle it into place and secure it.

Do a quick google search for gin pole, you'll find them.. They're not cheap, but doing an antenna of any size without one is a real challenge.
 
Joined
Aug 11, 2004
Messages
433
Location
Romulus, Mi.
#11
I have a questions for all you folks with towers. How do you get those antennas, and some of them are rather big, up on those towers and mounted?


No. # 1.............A good ground crew.
No. #2..............Start early. The Bulding Inspector / Ordinance Off. doesn't get out of bed until 8:00am. Then again, you wouldn't want to be in the air in the heat of the afternoon.
(take a camera with you, when up that close to God, some pictures are worth a thousand words.)
No. #3..............Plenty of Food, coffee in the morning, and beer later in the afternoon.
No. # 4.............Don't party the night before.

In reference to No. #2, find out what the Building Insp. like to have for a night cap. Go out and buy that and have it on hand should he attend you tower raising party unnannounced.

Anyways, Beautiful job. You can always make some side arms on that and add more.
rcvmo
 
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
106
#12
rcvmo said:
I have a questions for all you folks with towers. How do you get those antennas, and some of them are rather big, up on those towers and mounted?


No. # 1.............A good ground crew.
No. #2..............Start early. The Bulding Inspector / Ordinance Off. doesn't get out of bed until 8:00am. Then again, you wouldn't want to be in the air in the heat of the afternoon.
(take a camera with you, when up that close to God, some pictures are worth a thousand words.)
No. #3..............Plenty of Food, coffee in the morning, and beer later in the afternoon.
No. # 4.............Don't party the night before.

In reference to No. #2, find out what the Building Insp. like to have for a night cap. Go out and buy that and have it on hand should he attend you tower raising party unnannounced.

Anyways, Beautiful job. You can always make some side arms on that and add more.
rcvmo
My brother in law used to do tower work on towers much larger than mine. When I installed my antennas I just had a simple climbing belt that goes around the waist and you tie yourself, once you get up there. Then I just used a rope to pull my antenna up. Most of the time, did it when no one else was around. He pretty much chewed me out, gotta have a ground crew, gotta have a pully attached to your belt then let your ground crew pull your antennas up. Needless to say, he gave me over $500.00 in climbing gear, full body harness, everything. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!
 
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
106
#17
delta_p said:
So how do you actually get the tower up? with crane or something?

PP
I bought this tower used from a neighbor, he took it down all as one with a boom truck, I took all the sections apart. Poured my 5x5x5 chunk of concrete, then used a gin pole that the local ham radio shop was kind enough to let me use. Then got everything setup and my wife pulled the sections up to me and I bolted them together. Went pretty fast, last couple sections were the toughest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top