My Whistler TRX-1 & 2 Listening changes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, for the last last two weeks I have been forced to take some unused vacation from work. I'm not big on going on vacation somewhere warm only to come back to the cold, which is more depressing ,so I thought I will catch up on some receiver listening with my Whistler TRX-1 & 2.

Wow, things have certainly changed and it has been quiet. Seems that since the encryption fixations has gone into effect across the Province of Alberta, I decided it was not practical to turn on these talk groups. I decided to erase all the talk groups , eg. AFRRCS,Calgary Municipal :-( .

So, I said to myself what else can I listen to?

I came across the CAN-TURBO DMR on RR and I programmed this talk group into my TRX-1 & 2. All I can say is, why did I not do this sooner? I can listen to Amateur radio WorldWide English/FR, North America, Canada-wide, AB-wide etc.

This morning, Saturday March 23rd, I listened to a transmission between an amateur radio in Connecticut and Northern Australia, and it was amazingly clear (5x5), as if they were next door. The reception is clear about 95% of the time and just to test the reception the last week, I have been using a short rubber ducky antenna on my TRX-1 and a short L shape antenna in the back of the base TRX-2 receiver and both work great.

The TRX-1 I can put on my belt and listen in my back yard or in my basement and hear the radio traffic clear,"AMAZING".

So, if your receiver has DMR capabilities then you will not be frustrated or bored, also planning adding the local amateur radio sites also, amateur radio has come along way from years ago when I was involved in the hobby in another province now you don't need large towers and or long wired antennas to listen to world wide radio traffic.

In conclusion, finding DMR Amateur radio has been great!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Not sure why you're not picking anything up on AFRRCS or CMRN, I get lots of comms there (Foothills Fire, Mountain View Fire, Canmore Fire, several other fire departments and emergency services). Also FireNet, the few PACS channels in & around the city that are left (but are probably going away in a matter of weeks if not days), and various conventional stuff still here and there.

Yes, a bunch of DMR and NXDN systems are around. Wi-Com has a sizable DMR system with a bunch of users.

Status
Not open for further replies.