My Winter SDR Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRL-XM43

Credit: Inspired by boatbod and OP25

The project started out as an attempt to have OP25 running on Linux, I had zero experience with Linux, still with a lot of help from here, I did get OP25 running great-- both on a Linux VM in Widows and a bootable Linux (Mint 19.1) flash drive with persistence.

This exercised my 70+ year old noggin to get Linux literate so I eventually got every monitoring, scanning and decoding program I could find for Linux on that drive - covering space, high altitude, the air, sea and of course all the common AM/FM analog and digital voice spectrum. I already had achieved this in the Windows 10 environment so now I had both as options.

This made me think I needed two unadulterated dedicated platforms.

My solution was to create two bootable flash drives, one with a live bootable Linux Mint OS c/w a VM Win10 and one with a live Win10 OS, that would give me both live environments onto which I could install all of the SDR stuff I could find.

The solution offers portability and a closed environment not encumbered by regular PC stuff. I found the isolated environments provide superior clean reception and hence quality decoding.

If something devils up with my PC all my work is protected, transferable and yup... I also have restore flash drive images in safe places :)

The big challenge was selecting 128 gig flash drives with fast enough read times to load the OS's and programs in a flash.

My ultimate choice after $rial & error was 128 gig Lexar 3.0.

This usb flash drive boots both OS in about 10 to 15 seconds or less actually... and loads programs instantly. It actually works faster than my PC does :) It is advertised as 150 read but I clocked it at over 200 with a flash speed tester. The write speed sucks as do all the flash drives in the economy class but that does not seem to matter as far as performance of SDR programs..

Anyway I am now ready for spring/traveling with two ultimate, portable fast SDR platforms which between them cover the entire SDR gambit. I recommend this approach to anyone since it offers much advantage with relatively small cost.

I find the dedicated isolated environment (read stable)... is far superior than mingling SDR in with the clutter and updates of an everyday utility PC.

Anyway... I'm a happy camper with new skills, tools and knowledge (which is the point I guess)

If it is listed on THE BIG LIST of SDR SW I probably have it installed and running (the useful stuff anyway).

All the best
D.

Last edited:

boatbod

Linux can be fun! I have a Surface Pro 6 at work that I have no admin rights on, but I found out I could plug in a bootable USB3 flash drive and then install Mint. If I want to run op25 I just plug in the flash drive and reboot, otherwise I can unplug everything and our IT Dept is none the wiser :)

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Congrats on the new setup. Linux is a fun OS to play on and there are commands that allow you to do more than you can with windows.
I suggest you start playing around with Raspberry Pi's next and see what you can do on there. They are linux based, cheap, headless computers that are the size of a deck of cards.

Between SDR and Linux, you're going to find this hobby is going to take you to another level fo fun!
Enjoy the SDR Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.