N type plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioshane

I have a moonraker discone that is in my loft and I've been trying for about an hour to get the n type coaxial cable onto it obviously trying to put it on clockwise could anyone suggest why it won't go on ?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The outer part of the male connectors are the same between an N connector and a UHF/PL259. The difference in the center pin. If the N won't fit, then it's entirely possible the antenna has a UHF type connector.

So, either get the right connector or a bigger hammer, your choice.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Moonraker ads show some models with N connectors and some with SO-239. You can always get an adapter if you don't want to change connecters on the coax.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I think we all know what the answer was. Probably why he hasn't commented.

— He didn't have a big enough hammer to make it fit.

I've seen PL-259s threaded on to N female jacks. Threaded right on up to the end. You'd think that the female pin collapsing and breaking would be a clue...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've seen PL-259s threaded on to N female jacks. Threaded right on up to the end. You'd think that the female pin collapsing and breaking would be a clue...

I had our PD bring me a vehicle for some radio programming. When I do that I usually give the vehicle a once over, especially since this one had just come back from the upfitter.

Found exactly that. The 800MHz radio had an N connector on the back. The "installer" didn't have an N connector, or didn't know what it was. Anyway what this person had done was to solder the center pin of the UHF connector way down near the base, keeping most of it unsoldered. The unsoldered center pin of the male UHF connector will slide over the top of the center pin of the female N connector.

And, it works. Makes contact and everything.
In the words of Scooby Doo, "and he would have gotten away with it too" if it wasn't someone actually looking at the install.

And this was a big name shop. All I can figure is that it was a new guy, or it was Friday afternoon. Makes me wonder how many other vehicles they've cut corners on, hoping they'd never get caught.

So, off comes the connector, crimp on a new N connector, program the radio, and they are on their way.

Needless to say the 6 new SUV Interceptors that came in when to a different shop.

prcguy

I worked with a genius that would always stick a 50 ohm N male connector into a 75 ohm female N connector and completely destroy the connector. They look the same at a first glance but the 75 ohm pin and socket are much smaller and the fatter 50 ohm pin blows the 75 ohm socket apart and shorts everything inside the connector.

In one case the idiot was plugging a spectrum analyzer into a satellite feed 16-way 75 ohm divider and when he didn't get the right signal on the first connector he went down the line destroying most of the connectors on the divider before someone figured out what he was doing.
prcguy

I had our PD bring me a vehicle for some radio programming. When I do that I usually give the vehicle a once over, especially since this one had just come back from the upfitter.

Found exactly that. The 800MHz radio had an N connector on the back. The "installer" didn't have an N connector, or didn't know what it was. Anyway what this person had done was to solder the center pin of the UHF connector way down near the base, keeping most of it unsoldered. The unsoldered center pin of the male UHF connector will slide over the top of the center pin of the female N connector.

And, it works. Makes contact and everything.
In the words of Scooby Doo, "and he would have gotten away with it too" if it wasn't someone actually looking at the install.

And this was a big name shop. All I can figure is that it was a new guy, or it was Friday afternoon. Makes me wonder how many other vehicles they've cut corners on, hoping they'd never get caught.

So, off comes the connector, crimp on a new N connector, program the radio, and they are on their way.

Needless to say the 6 new SUV Interceptors that came in when to a different shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.