N9JIG Mini Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

Here are the handhelds:
View attachment 69529

They include Uniden BCD396XT, BCD436HP, SDS100, BCD325P2, BC125AT, RS PRO651, Whistler TRX-1, GRE PSR120, AOR AR-Mini, Icom R5, Unication G5v, Alinco DJ-S11 and DJ-C7, Moto HT1250 and HT1550, AntyTone D868, Kenwood TH-F6A and TK-3140, and a couple HH freq counters.

Amazing. Thank you Rich.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich, also glad to see you confirmed the SDS200 will fit nicely in the desk mount we have. I really don't need one (another scanner that is), but you know how that goes ;-)

I wasn't sure if it would until I tried. My alternate plan was to put it on the top of the rack where the HP2 is now but that is unnecessary now.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, I updated the Mini Shack today. I was unhappy with the HP-2 on the top of the rack as it was difficult to see that high up. I replaced it with the PSR400 (I forgot I had sold my PSR410 but still had the PSR400...). I also added a side arm for the SDS100 or BCD436HP, whichever is not being used elsewhere.

These are the scanners I use for casual listening and testing on the desk as well as referring to when a customer calls for support. I can walk thru the steps needed to accomplish something for them with these, if they have a radio that is not represented here (or close enough) I grab the proper handheld or go to the rack nearby. For example, if they call for help with a BCD536HP I can run thru the steps using the SDS100 as they are almost identical in operation.

I also remounted the multicoupler the same way KA1NJL did on the back side of the rack. I even have the same BNC pigtails he has in his shot, I picked them off Amazon or at a hamfest a couple years back, they work great!

The whole thing is pretty much self-contained. There is an AC power cord for the power supply as well as the wire coming from the HP1 wall-wart. There is also the antenna cable going to my patch panel on the wall as well as the USB cable going to the USB hub for the SDS100. This powers it as well as allows me to access it from the computer. If needed I could take the same cable and connect it to the HP-1 for updates.

I am still considering replacing the HP1 with a more conventional scanner, perhaps a BCT15X or a 996P2 down the road should one become available. While I can still access the controls on the top replacing it would allow me to eliminate the wall-wart.

The sidearm holding the SDS100 is a small mobile speaker bracket cuth in half with a microphone speed clip bolted on to marry with the belt clip stud, it just drops right in. I made 2 so I can add the other if needed. I can drop one down and stack or I can add it to the other side but for now this is plenty.

You want pics? Of course you do! Here ya go:

IMG_2941.jpeg
Relative to the desk and cabinet

IMG_2937.jpeg
Front of the Mini Shack

IMG_2939.jpeg
Rear of the Mini Shack with multicoupler. There are still 2 slots available for future expansion. Notice the microphone speed clip holding the SDS100.

NYRHKY94

A true "MIni Shack Rack" Rich :) You got me thinking now....I have a spare Pro-197 I could put on top of mine and a BCD436HP that would look great using that side arm fabrication. Well done :)

N9JIG

Sheriff
I don't think the Stridsbergs require terminators, I have used them either way and never been able to tell a difference. I have a few terminators but haven't used them recently.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
This guy right here is my hero! I wish I had met him when I lived out in Arizona so I could see his set up up close and first hand! Now I live in Tennessee and just drool at all of the equipment he has, the ideas he comes up with for mounting and monitoring, and the ingenuity behind it all. Every set up he posts just gets better and better! Bravo Zulu, Rich!

Mike

kjfswkr

Rich, setup looks great. Just curious as to what you use all the scanners for? If they were all transmitting at same time I think it would be difficult to decipher.

73’

Kevin aka KB2CYK

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich, setup looks great. Just curious as to what you use all the scanners for? If they were all transmitting at same time I think it would be difficult to decipher.

The cabinet is mostly used for Mil Air searching and computer decoding. The desktop ones are the ones I listen to directly for the most part. I usually have the SDS200 working on a couple NXDN and P25 systems, the HP1 just general stuff, the PSR400 for aircraft and the XT's for rail and CloseCall. The handheld on the sidebar switches from a BCD325 to a 436 or SDS100 and is usually on an NXDN system.

Status
Not open for further replies.