N9JIG Shack for Fall 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Here is my latest redesign of the shack. Not a lot of new stuff, but some updates. The iMac is new, it is the new i7 27 inch model, replacing the older 24 inch. 16 GB of RAM, along with Windows 7 Pro via Parallels allows me to run most of the shack operations with just this and my other Windows 7 computer, cutting down from 5 to 2 computers running all the time.

Radio-wise, I added a couple here and there. I brought in all the handhelds for the pictures, otherwise many of these are deployed mobile or at work.

I often am asked why I have so many radios in my shack. Several of them are used for data collection, so they aren’t really “listened to” most of the time. For example, on the Windows machine I am running 5 instances of Pro96Com for the several P25 systems and towers in my area. I also run ARC-XT to log fire tones decoded from one of the BCT15X’s.

Several of the BCT15’s are used for Fire Alerting, most of my local FD’s use QuickCall or Plectron tones.

All of the radios except the CDM’s run off of a 35 amp switching power supply under the desk. This replaced the old Astron 50 Amp monster that could heat all of Canada in the winter. I have not had any RF interference problems and the room is much cooler. The Astrons tend to develop a vibra-hum after a few years, as mine had.

Until recently I was also running an ATCS server but someone else had a better location for the local subdivisions than I.

09242011a.jpg

09242011e.jpg

Row 1 (Bottom)
Uniden HP1 Extreme
Icom R8500 (With CD-1 Tone Decoder)
Icom R7000 (With CD-1 Tone Decoder)
Mics for the Alinco and Motorola’s

Row 2
Alinco DR-635 Dual Bander
UHF Motorola CDM-1250
VHF Motorola CDM-1250
Power supply for Moto’s
BCT15 (2)

Row 3
Uniden BCD996XT (2)
Uniden BCT15X (2)
Uniden BCT15 (2)

Row 4
Uniden BC796D
Uniden BC785D (2)
Uniden BCT15 (3)
Midland WX Alert receiver
CD-1 Tone Decoder (2)
Cimarron MDC Decoder
Opto DC440 Tone Decoder

Left Bottom Shelf
RS PRO-2096 (4)

Left Top Shelf
GRE PSR-400
RS PRO-163
GRE PSR-600
GRE PSR-410

HH Row
Kenwood TH-F6A
Uniden BCD396XT
Uniden BC330T
GRE PSR-800
RS PRO-83 (2)
Motorola HT1550XLS
Wouxon KG-UV1D
Kenwood TK-3140
Yaesu VX-8R
Alinco DJ-C7
RS Freq Counter
Motorola APX7000
Alinco DJ-S11
Uniden BCD-346
GRE PSR-310
RS PRO-106
GRE PSR-300
RS PRO-96
RS PRO-43
GRE PSR-700
Uniden BCD396XT

Far Top Row
AirNav Radar Box

The Windows machine is used for the AirNav Radar Box (Occasionally), Pro96Comm, ARC-XT and other radio programming. (far left monitor)

The iMac27 with extra monitor is used for various Windows and Mac applications, the AirNav Radar Box, CARMA Profile work, web browsing etc.

Also shown:

MacBook Air for mobile use for the AirNav Box, radio programming and other computing needs.

iPhone and iPad for mobile and remote use.

September 2011

N9JIG

Sheriff
What's the antenna setup?

A bunch of various antennas in the attic, including several of the RS ScanTenna clones (they were closed out for $5.00 each a few years back...).

I have 4 Stridsberg multicouplers, 2 8-port wideband units connected to ScanTennas for the majority of the scanners on the right. There is a 4-port 800 MHz unit connected to a homemade 800 MHz. groundplane for the PRO2096's and a 4-port wide band connected to one of those 18-inch RS groundplane scanner antennas. for the other GRE's.

The Icoms and the three 2-ways all have independent antennas. The R7000 has a discone, the 8500 has a Scantenna. There is a 20M dipole connected to the HF side of the 8500. The CDM's have 1/4 wave groundplanes and the Alinco has a dualband Diamond.

A year or so we have 2 feet of blown-in insulation put in the attic so getting up there is pretty much out of the question these days. Before they came in I spent a day doing maintenance and added a few spares for future use. When/if I move I will just abandon them in-place and cut the coax.

wise871

Database Admin
Rich as always very nice setup. Also congrats on the iMac upgrade. You have to love Paralles Desktop 7 from running Windows on a Mac.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Very impressive shack!!! Wiping drool off my chin and keyboard LOL.And a Cubs fan to boot.

Now that's a win-win in my book.

:)

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
All I can say is WOW, Great Shack. You must be single, way to much money being spent there...hehehehhe Great Job. Makes me want to delete my shack pics....hehehhehe

Status
Not open for further replies.